The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HiBear
I have seen way too many EE threads floating about.
So instead of making a new thread for every EE question there is, better post just in one thread right? =]

From now on, I will merge all threads concerning Extendeds into this one.
Hopefully the forum wont be so clogged up anymore and you will all be able to get more varied answers!

When you are finished deciding over you EE topic, please post here:
What's your Extended Essay Topics?

I did Biology - To what extent does theduration and frequency meditation affect systolic and diastolic blood pressure?

:smile:
I think I've posted on here before, but since my first draft is due in tomorrow ....

"Were the 1967 riots a significant turning point for the people of Hong Kong?"

Yeah I just need help in finding the motivation to finish this EE off T_T
(edited 7 years ago)
I've written about 2000 words on my EE and I've hit a brick wall. Mine is in Literature, and it's
"To what effect is the motif of family used in King Lear and Agamemnon to convey the issue of fate and consequence?"

I've already covered the intro, context, and the topics of children, inheritance and family values. Other than that, I'm stuck. Help?
I have nooooo clue what to do my ee on.
either history, english, psychology? idk which subject to pick im gonna pee myself.
i enjoy all of them equally and will probably get the same markers regardless of which subject i choose. so what do i do? halpppp
Original post by gameofno
I have nooooo clue what to do my ee on.
either history, english, psychology? idk which subject to pick im gonna pee myself.
i enjoy all of them equally and will probably get the same markers regardless of which subject i choose. so what do i do? halpppp

What do you want to study at University?
Reply 1045
Hello all! I have a very interesting situation... I have started studying for the IB in September 2015 in Cambridge, stayed there until March and then had bureaucratic problems and had to leave. I then studied distantly for almost 4 months. Soooo... I had an extended essay supervisor in Cambridge, but the communication on distance was very difficult and basically it was clear I couldn't return to the UK. I am now studying in an IB school in Moscow and I have an EE supervisor, but our First reflection session was in September. I know that some school begin the EE process in the first year of IB and I basically have from September to December for the first draft (of course before September I did research, so I had some material already). Do the examiners give a lower mark if they see in the planning and progress form that our first session was in September of Yr 2, for criterion E of engagement? Do they care? Or they care only about how I reflect and how I actually write my EE. I am really worried about that.
Do you think that it is really important to choose a EE in topic that you want to study? I am interested in both Geography and Maths and I would like to study Maths, but my topic comes from Geography. Is that wrong?
Is this a good economics research question; What market structure best characterizes the car-sharing industry? (Uber)
Yes, do they do care about the planning of your EE and how well it is done. And your EE should be done in time for the submission date. Otherwise, when and how you plan it for your teacher doesn't matter.

Original post by zyazik
Hello all! I have a very interesting situation... I have started studying for the IB in September 2015 in Cambridge, stayed there until March and then had bureaucratic problems and had to leave. I then studied distantly for almost 4 months. Soooo... I had an extended essay supervisor in Cambridge, but the communication on distance was very difficult and basically it was clear I couldn't return to the UK. I am now studying in an IB school in Moscow and I have an EE supervisor, but our First reflection session was in September. I know that some school begin the EE process in the first year of IB and I basically have from September to December for the first draft (of course before September I did research, so I had some material already). Do the examiners give a lower mark if they see in the planning and progress form that our first session was in September of Yr 2, for criterion E of engagement? Do they care? Or they care only about how I reflect and how I actually write my EE. I am really worried about that.
I'm starting IB next year and we've been told we should start preparing our EE. Is this really necessary - since i haven't even decided what i want to study at university. It seems a little forward haha

Original post by MD5745
I'm starting IB next year and we've been told we should start preparing our EE. Is this really necessary - since i haven't even decided what i want to study at university. It seems a little forward haha

I didn't decide my EE topic until March in my first year. I then started writing it in May.
26 pages, 9 reference pages (don't count footnotes, refs, tables or graphs in word count).18 July 2017 deadlinemy draft already submitted the prescribed amount of times.Advice: Follow the guidelines, strict word and formatting apply. Better to be safe than .....sorry.Every in-text ref mentioned must be in your references, and no other reference needs to be there.Not 1 word over 4,000, 10% sort of acceptable.Quality and quantity are needed.
ToK November 2017 deadlines.

How are you going with your tok essay and what question number did you do?
Reply 1054
Hi,
I am in IB1 (Grade 11) in Canada, and I have chosen a topic which is really close to my heart....MUSIC.
I am planning to compare and contrast Indian and Western Percussion music, with respect to their styles, the instruments, the intricate nuances including the patterns, the notes, the rules of rhythm, etc etc.

I am a drummer in the school percussion band, and am also training in the Indian Tabla.

Just to add...I wish to pursue Medicine in the UK....:smile:))

This is my first post in this forum and I love the energy !!!
I made a video about IB Tips (and how I somehow got 44), there's also a bit where I talk about EE tips, and my most useful tools! x Hope it helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdW8w4YFOVM&t=659s
I'm in year 12 and am just starting the whole EE process! I'm doing English HL and would like to write my EE focused on English Literature. What kind of texts do the IB prefer and if anyone's done an EE on English Lit what was your question?
Also does it actually matter if the text you choose is quite common?
Original post by riya.21
I'm in year 12 and am just starting the whole EE process! I'm doing English HL and would like to write my EE focused on English Literature. What kind of texts do the IB prefer and if anyone's done an EE on English Lit what was your question?
Also does it actually matter if the text you choose is quite common?

Hi!
I am at the end of my first year of IB and although I havent taken my EE on English Literature, I have a close friend who does and from what I know she is doing a comparison between two texts based on their and theme and motifs and such. I am not actually sure what type of question she formed or anything but it did seem pretty interesting to me!

I hope this has helped!
I did mine in Physics, and really with 3500 words - about 20 diagrams - and another thousand words of appendices you are pretty well covered.Just remember that only the text body is counted in the word count so diagram titles, labels, appendices and footnotes don't count.
Original post by roseazhath
Hi!
I am at the end of my first year of IB and although I havent taken my EE on English Literature, I have a close friend who does and from what I know she is doing a comparison between two texts based on their and theme and motifs and such. I am not actually sure what type of question she formed or anything but it did seem pretty interesting to me!

I hope this has helped!

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending