The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

I have seen way too many EE threads floating about.
So instead of making a new thread for every EE question there is, better post just in one thread right? =]

From now on, I will merge all threads concerning Extendeds into this one.
Hopefully the forum wont be so clogged up anymore and you will all be able to get more varied answers!

When you are finished deciding over you EE topic, please post here:
What's your Extended Essay Topics?

Scroll to see replies

not everyone knows what to write about so post some topics you think is best to write about. We all know your smart so share ur brain... lol
Reply 2
why do some people feel the need to beg ideas off others? in Psychology
what are the socio-economic implications of collusion/plagiarism? in psychology or economics

Two to get you started.
Reply 3
well start with what subject, then what topics within the subject your interested in- time period, topic in syllabus, author, perspective, country- whatever. Do research within that then pick 3, or some number, and mention them to your supervisor. The ones that are appropriate- see how many books you can get, develop questions and pick your favorite.
Don't just come on an internet forum and randomly ask for ideas without giving any information :p: .
Good Luck with thinking of a topic! :smile:
Reply 4
The range of topics are way to broad to state here (since they can be anything).... atleast tell us in what subject you want to write it in and maybe a general direction.
harpy
why do some people feel the need to beg ideas off others? in Psychology
what are the socio-economic implications of collusion/plagiarism? in psychology or economics

Two to get you started.

haha, BURN.
LOL, that was funny.
Reply 6
Isnt it a bit late to start the EE already...i mean its December already. My school made us start in MAY!!! And we had to hand in our final copy in on Dec. 12 just to find out they get sent sometime in Jan. Its annoying but done! :biggrin: U should get cracking right away cause its not something you can write over night. :p:
Reply 7
I wrote mine in economisc. my teacher said that its good something local as its mor einteresting to the moderators. So my topic was very local:
Is there monoploty for skateboard clothes in Uppsala, Sweden??
Good luck evryone whos got EE in front of them
Reply 8
I am a little confused about the number of words the extended essay have to be. i'm doing my EE in Economics and i just got told by my teacher that i need to write 4000 words and under.

...BUT the question is, how many words under?

is there like a rule that says, it can be 10% under or anything like this?

HELP~
Reply 9
Its better to be up around the 4000 mark, as my supervisor says.. mine is aout 4018, which (apparently) is no problem. Generally you have to have enough words to complete the damn thing... !!
Reply 10
yes its 10% over and under, but for EE don't go over 4000 words

10% meaning 400 words under max...
Reply 11
:dito:

I just looked it up, for the EE criterion G (formal presentation) it says you are awarded 0 points (out of 3) if:

Extended Essay criteria
The extended essay exceeds 4000 words or the formal presentation is poor.

Also, in the EE guidelines it says:

Extended Essay guidelines

The Length of the Extended Essay

The upper limit is 4000 words for all extended essays. The upper limit includes the introduction, the body, the conclusion and any quotations, but does not include:

- the abstract
- acknowledgements
- the contents page
- maps, charts, diagrams, annotated illustrations and tables
- the reference/bibliography
- appendices

Essays in excess of 4000 words are subject to penalties and examiners are not required to read material in excess of the word limit.

So there are definitely potential consequences for being above the limit - mal00, even though its only 18 words, I think you should check with your IB coordinator.

Doesn't look like there are any specific penalities for being under the limit, though with less than 3500 you're probably selling yourself short.

(Sorry for the excessive quotage :redface: )
mal00 - just lie and say it's 3989 words or something. No one will count. it's oly 18 words, it's not obvious. NEVER EVER report any of your work to be over the word limit. You might get an insanely strict examiner or one in a bad mood or something who will penalise you for even 1 word over the limit.

Usually an EE of less than 3500 would be considered a little short, and an EE of 3000 won't be considered adequate. but that's more of a generalisation. It depends on your subject.

If you are doing a Maths essay with lots of equation, you can definitely get away with even a little less than 3000 because the bulk of your work should be your equations which wouldn't count. If you're doing a science EE, with diagrams/tables/graphs you probably can get away with around 3000. Same for things like Geog (diagrams/maps/sketches preferably hand drawn).

But for essays like languages or history or anything very essay based, you should find yourself pushing the word limit and having to cut.
Reply 13
Yes. IB Extended Essay markers are quite strict indeed and if they suspect your essay could be slightly over the limit, then they are instructed to count. And so, if you even have 3,999 words, that rather suspicious and it may provoke the examiner to count (and you never know if they will miscount thus harming your mark- losing 3 marks out of a maximum of 35 (or 36 :?)).

My word count was 3,919 in the end. I think thats a good area to be at. But remember you can always include extra info in your footnotes, diagrams don't count, and also the appendices (though again, examiners are not required to read appendices so that could be risky).

For all i know, you can take a bit of your text and put it in a table (photoshop it to make it look like some decent source extract) and just label it as a source, in order to cut down on the word limit. Even though the word limit is 4000, many essays will approach 30 pages in length. Another word of advice: make sure you number your pages. You actually lose marks if you don't. And that is truly a waste...
Reply 14
thanks for all ur help people~ ^_^
now my aim is to write 3800. hehe
ive only done about 2200 and all the footnotes hasnt been finish and i'm not even half way through the damn thing! ive got 17 pages already~ my friends economics EE was 28 page =.=!
now...continue to work on my EE
Reply 15
yea.. in light of all your comments.. i better shorten mine.. or just lie as HMSChocolate suggested (lol).. thnx guys :smile:
Korny
Yes. IB Extended Essay markers are quite strict indeed and if they suspect your essay could be slightly over the limit, then they are instructed to count. And so, if you even have 3,999 words, that rather suspicious and it may provoke the examiner to count (and you never know if they will miscount thus harming your mark- losing 3 marks out of a maximum of 35 (or 36 :?)).

Most examiners won't count unless they're one of those really weird ones like my history teacher. Honestly, if you get yourself in perspective, an examiner has to mark at least 40-50 4,000 words essay in the space of a couple of months, PLUS still leading their normal lives and work. Honestly they would just mark it in a way that would get it over the fastest. It's going to be very mind boggling to sit there and count the words. Or they would count the number of words in a line and estimate rather than count word for word.

If your essay really is something like 3,999 I would recommend reporting it to something that looks random in the 39-- range. 3,999 just looks suspicious. My essay was 3,991 words (it really was). EE is out of 36.

Number your pages and make sure your essay's presentation looks good and neat. Number every table/graphs/pictures with figure numbers. you lose marks for presentation if you dont.
Reply 17
I know my IBC is psychotic enough to count... and I assume that being psychotic is actually a criterion for getting the job of IBC. Best not to risk it.
My EE is 'officially' around 3,800/3,900 words long. I say 'officially' because if footnotes were taken into account, it would be more like 5,000 words. I completely and utterly abused the footnote function... Hell, my EE is almost 30 pages long.
My Econ EE is 3,058 without the appendix/footnotes/table of contents, and all that. Teacher liked it I think. If I had to write more it just wouldn't have been good in my opinion.....I hope they don't find it too short, I reckon they only get annoyed when its over...

Quick Reply

Latest