The Student Room Group
Reply 2
The most famous equation in history and you couldn't find it anywhere on the net? :rolleyes:
nope, not so that it made sense :smile:
Reply 4
E=mc2 E = mc^2

The total energy EE of a glob of matter (i.e. half the energy that would be released if it were to annihilate with a glob of its anti-matter equivalent of the same mass) is equal to the mass mm of the glob, multiplied by the square of the speed of light c2 c^2 .

This c2 c^2 term is what makes the equation so fantastical - c c alone is about 300,000,000 m/s.
basically in a nuclear reaction, say 2 particles fuses into 1.

the mass before hand is slightly less than the mass afterward if you actually weigh the atoms because there is a difference in binding energy etc...

the difference in mass is converted into energy obeying the relationship E=MC^2

basically it finds out the mass converted into energy in a nuclear reaction.
Reply 6
Patent Pending
E=mc2 E = mc^2

The total energy EE of a glob of matter (i.e. half the energy that would be released if it were to annihilate with a glob of its anti-matter equivalent of the same mass) is equal to the mass mm of the glob, multiplied by the square of the speed of light c2 c^2 .

This c2 c^2 term is what makes the equation so fantastical - c c alone is about 300,000,000 m/s.

Actually E is the rest-mass energy, i.e. the energy a particle has when stationary/ the energy associated with the particle's mass.
Reply 7
joker_900
Actually E is the rest-mass energy, i.e. the energy a particle has when stationary/ the energy associated with the particle's mass.

Well, yes - but one of the only ways you can get at the energy is by annihilating it...
Reply 8
Patent Pending
Well, yes - but one of the only ways you can get at the energy is by annihilating it...

You don't need to "get at it". The particle always has that energy, and that energy is equal to mc^2.

Latest