The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I think the degree at Cambridge is the best, it consists of two years in england, and two in france so it truly is a dual degree hence the name{Double Maitrise}. I'm currently studying European Law{French} at Warwick, and I think its a very good program. Kings, and LSE also do but I'm afraid I don't know a lot about their programs. The best Universities in France for law though are Paris I, and Bordeaux.
Cambridge is very highly respected but I was put off it by rumours that the degree was looked upon poorly as it didn't give you a sufficient grounding in with French or English law.

Oxford has a very good degree, as does UCL. Both send students to Univ Paris II which along with Paris I is seen as the best place to do law in France. Univ Paris I is seen as having a more modern attitude to Law whereas II is regarded as the traditionalist University in a similar was as Oxbridge is.
Reply 3
house badger
Cambridge is very highly respected but I was put off it by rumours that the degree was looked upon poorly as it didn't give you a sufficient grounding in with French or English law.

Oxford has a very good degree, as does UCL. Both send students to Univ Paris II which along with Paris I is seen as the best place to do law in France. Univ Paris I is seen as having a more modern attitude to Law whereas II is regarded as the traditionalist University in a similar was as Oxbridge is.

These are both for Law with French Law are they not? Rather than Law with French which I thought was the original enquiry.
I happen to know Birmingham does Law with French, but don't know how it compares with others.
Reply 4
house badger

Paris II isn't regarded very highly, I'm trying to organize something with Paris I.
Reply 5
OldMan
These are both for Law with French Law are they not? Rather than Law with French which I thought was the original enquiry.
I happen to know Birmingham does Law with French, but don't know how it compares with others.

Yes, that is what I meant, Law with French. Although I'm I now just think of doing a French degree and then doing a law conversion course, which is what my teachers are advising me to do.
Reply 6
Melanie47
Yes, that is what I meant, Law with French. Although I'm I now just think of doing a French degree and then doing a law conversion course, which is what my teachers are advising me to do.

Well, I can't see any Law firm worrying whether you have a degree in French as long as you can show you speak it fluently.

If you think you will prefer spending three years studying French and don't mind doing an extra year for the Law then go for it. If you are really self disciplined then consider doing a law degree and keeping French up on the side; most good Unis will have a language school where non-language students can do courses/qualifications alongside their degrees.

A joint degree is another option if you think Law is intersting in its own right, but choose one that is a 'qualifying degree' so that you are exempt from the conversion course.

It is important that you enjoy studying your degree subject. A year on a law conversion course is tough but it is only a year; three years of something you don't like is a real problem.
Reply 7
OldMan
Well, I can't see any Law firm worrying whether you have a degree in French as long as you can show you speak it fluently.

If you think you will prefer spending three years studying French and don't mind doing an extra year for the Law then go for it. If you are really self disciplined then consider doing a law degree and keeping French up on the side; most good Unis will have a language school where non-language students can do courses/qualifications alongside their degrees.

A joint degree is another option if you think Law is intersting in its own right, but choose one that is a 'qualifying degree' so that you are exempt from the conversion course.

It is important that you enjoy studying your degree subject. A year on a law conversion course is tough but it is only a year; three years of something you don't like is a real problem.

Thanks for your advice! People have been advising me to do a degree in something I enjoy first, and then convert to law, as I may find law too boring as a full degree.
Reply 8
hi sorry i only just found this page when i was looking at other DM courses. I'm currently doing the Double Maitrise Course at Cambirdge (i'm a second year). Its law with french law (not just french - there is a big difference in the degrees) and its amazingly hard. not to put anyone off doing it because the course itself is so highly respected here you wouldn't believe it, but unless you are fantastically talented or very hard-working then you won't survive. as i'm certainly not the former, i've had to develop a pretty tough work ethic here to satisfy the latter. if you are interested in the course then the advantages are huge. you get money thrown at you in every direction to go abroad and do work experience. you also automatically get to have a training contract with clifford chance (boooo!) which appeals to some as they're the biggest law firm in the world, but not to me. feel free to reply if you want to talk about the course or ask any questions coz i'd be very happy to fill you in with more details about the course. Andy

Latest