The Student Room Group

Higher Critical Essay Intro

My main problem with my essays is getting started, because I just get bogged down with everything I have to include at the beginning.

So in my introduction:

-Should I include my quick summary of the text or put it in another paragraph?

-Should I say "I intend to look at how Jenkins uses characterisation to..., in the key scene... and symbolism.... etc" - so basically listing the writers techniques

Or what? Please Help

Just realised this might be in the wrong forum sorry.
Not really sure how to help you, but I'm gonna memorise a couple of my really good intro's and conclusions I've done in the past and then bend them to fit the question lol.

But yeah, I think you've got the right idea.
The SQA apparently don't like it when you say "i intend to look at" such and such. I think it's better to say something like "a poem in which something is shown is &name of poem* by *author*

That usually does for an intro, then you can summarise next paragraph if you want or the question calls for it. I tend to summarise as i go along analysing but that's a personal preference thing
Reply 3
I have a pretty good framework for intros that i'll share. :biggrin:

In the [poem/play/short story] "[insert title]" by [insert author] the writer explores/identifies/develops etc. [topic of essay (characterisation, themes techniques etc]. [Insert one-sentence synopsis of text]. The writer uses [inser techniques] to explore themes of [inser themes!]. This essay will explore how [insert author] develops the ideas of [topic of essay] through the techniques he uses.

I normally don't put the little synopsis in, but i think i need to try and remember it. :s-smilie:

Hope that helps. Our teacher drilled this kinda thing into us so that intros are more of a breeze. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks I have a few ideas in mind to boost my confidence before I go in now.
Reply 5
At Higher English masterclasses run by West Lothian Council they were basically showing that you can do intros two ways.

The first way is using the T. A. R. T. method, which basically states that in the intro to have Title Author Reference to task Text background. And also, to make your intros flow so instead of saying "In this essay i will look at x, y & z" say something like "The author develops the text through a mixture of x, y & z"

The second way is basically the same but taking the brief outline of the text into the second paragraph and starting your analysis in the third paragraph.

Hope its of some help and good luck next week!
Reply 6
We have been taught to write Intros this way:

A TAGL sentence and then a Synopsis.

T - Title of Text
A - Author/Poet/Dramatist
G - Genre
L - Link To Question
Meteorshower
The SQA apparently don't like it when you say "i intend to look at" such and such.

I've heard that too so I try and write something which lets the reader know what I'm gonna talk about without really saying it, e.g.

"Marvell uses powerful techniques such as graphic imagery and tone to evoke such a strong reaction from the reader."

I usually include one sentence about the plot. Also I try and put a lot of info (setting in time/place, author, title) into the first sentence e.g.

"F.Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of the American 1920’s “The Great Gatsby” tells the story of its eponymous central character as he struggles for elusive happiness."
Peach-On-Ice
I've heard that too so I try and write something which lets the reader know what I'm gonna talk about without really saying it, e.g.

"Marvell uses powerful techniques such as graphic imagery and tone to evoke such a strong reaction from the reader."

I usually include one sentence about the plot. Also I try and put a lot of info (setting in time/place, author, title) into the first sentence e.g.

"F.Scott Fitzgerald’s novel of the American 1920’s “The Great Gatsby” tells the story of its eponymous central character as he struggles for elusive happiness."

Sounds about right:smile:

Latest