The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well it sounds to me like a simply application of a rather underhand but widely used interview technique of putting applicants in a situation where the interview appears to doubt their credentials/answers to certain questions to see how they respond to the accusation. It's well documented in books on interview technique.
generalebriety
Oh, did he? How's that then?

skcusgnihtyreve
but the priority remark came back later than that stupid August 31 deadline

:confused:
eventhorizon
:confused:

That's not an explanation. You said he missed the deadline. No he didn't, Edexcel did, so yes, he's been "short-changed" entirely.
Reply 63
skcusgnihtyreve
you just want to discourage me for no reason right? makes me think whether you are the one of the other people applying for the job.

No need to get paranoid, is there? If it makes you feel any better: no, I'm not currently applying for any jobs (let alone jobs abroad), and I'm not a graduate of a London university, so presumably that employer of yours wouldn't offer me a job even if I wanted one.
And no, I'm not trying to discourage you for no reason, I simply have my doubts as to whether you'll manage to get such a letter from LSE and whether, should you indeed manage to get it, it will have the desired effect. That's all. Personally I think you're deluding yourself by getting so hung up on a technicality which might not actually turn out to be that crucial, but if you really want to pull through with it, then you shouldn't waste any more time on TSR.
Of course people's replies here haven't been very helpful - how could they be? It's dead obvious that the only people who can actually help you or even give you any definite answer on whether or not it's possible are the LSE admission staff, so what the hell are you waiting for? Get in touch with the undergraduate admissions office, tell them you got an offer from them two years ago, which you missed due to a technicality and that you now need to document this to a fussy future employer. The email address you want is [email protected] and it took me all of five seconds to find it (you could probably have done it in even less time, considering you already applied there). Just be prepared for them to tell you that a) they haven't kept your application records or b) they have kept your records, but they aren't authorised / can't be bothered to write you such a letter.

There. That wasn't so hard now, was it?:rolleyes:
by the way, i'm a she, not a he........ :P from japan.
sorry, this account is not originally mine, my friend spoke on behalf of me when he thought i needed his help..........

anyway, hobnob, i've tried that email but never got a reply. that's why i'm actually asking if there are any more specific departments i can actually contact and get attention from, in case anyone amongst the vast amount of people in this forum have any hints. thanks tho.
Reply 65
1. The employer may want to ditch you by saying you are not from a London University.
2. It's your fault to some extent for not keeping your documents safely.
3. If u remember you UCAS details, you can still print your Decision Letter on UCAS if showing that you had an offer from LSE really matters.

I am not sure whether your UCAS account would still be active after 2 years but its worth trying.
I understand how it feels to not make your offer even when you get the grades, but as per UCAS rules you need to get them by August 31, even when you have a deffered entry.
jsp13

I am not sure whether your UCAS account would still be active after 2 years but its worth trying.

They aren't, they wipe them after a year, I believe...
i get the feeling that i have wrongly projected the image that i was ever "interviewed". no, i already know the people in the institution which is also why i KNOW for certain that they are suspicious of the claims i made before about being rejected to no fault on my behalf, hence questioning my personality and desirability in the company.
skcusgnihtyreve
i get the feeling that i have wrongly projected the image that i was ever "interviewed". no, i already know the people in the institution which is also why i KNOW for certain that they are suspicious of the claims i made before about being rejected to no fault on my behalf, hence questioning my personality and desirability in the company.

Well to be honest you should always be aware that any contact with a prospective employer should be regarded as important and that you must have your head switched on all the time. To be honest if I had heard your 'excuse' when I asked a question then I would be concerned that you have issues about where you went to university. You should have said that you went to Warwick because it has an excellent department, high academic standards and that you wanted to experience wider British culture or some such. Being negative about things is never a good idea when talking, even informally, to potential employers. What you have done is indicate that you actually think that Warwick is inferior and you only went there because LSE wouldn't let you in.

I've been asked plenty of times why I went ot the University I did, both informally and formally by employers and I tell them all the things I liked about the place, what I don't say is that I had an offer from a UoL college but I turned it down - why? Because it would look awful*.

Perhaps you'll be more on-guard next time.

*Not the fact that I turned down the offer, but that I felt the need to bring it up in the discussion because I didn't have anything good to say about my alma mater.
Reply 69
skcusgnihtyreve

But, if you weren't interviewed, where does the following come in?

skcusgnihtyreve

I was chatting with the admin of the office and he asked "why didn't you choose a london university?" I told him that I did, but just that edexcel screwed my grades up and failed to give my marks back before the deadline. He just didn't seem to believe me, and gave me this attitude that said he thinks I probably just didn't get in.

Also, why does it matter what university you APPLIED to? Surely it's only what university you GO to that matters. Anyone can apply to a good university, doesn't mean that they'll get in. If, as you say, you think they're favouring someone from UCL over you, maybe that's just because you're not suitable for the job?

I doubt they think you're lying. Why would anyone lie about where they applied to?! As I said, where you apply to doesn't matter, it's where you go that does.
Reply 70
When Warwick's reputation rockets (as it's starting to do) internationally, you'll have nothing to worry about. :p: Although, yeah, it does depend on the course somewhat.
Maybe you should just clarify the situation for us, as the whole thing sounds a little unlikely. I certainly can't imagine a situation where the employer goes, "yeah, we'd like to offer you the job and you're really good, in fact better than everyone else BUT WE THINK YOU'RE A LIAR NOW GO AWAY AND PROVE YOU AREN'T", unless employers are rather different outside of England. So yes, try giving us the full story of what's happened, and maybe we can help.

MB
Makin_waves
Lots of employers! One looked at me more favorably just because I told him I'd applied to Cambridge, even though I got rejected!

How on earth did you find this out?

"Excellent. I look upon you more favourably for that."

...?

Makin_waves
Bear in mind though, that having the proof that you got accepted might not help all that much; sure, it'll prove that you're not a 'liar' ... but I think they care more about where you actually got your degree, not who accepted you. If they want a LSE graduate, they won't care that much that you got accepted there, they'll still choose the candidate that got the degree from there.
xxx

Great point.
Meep!
But, if you weren't interviewed, where does the following come in?

during a meeting with the boss.

Meep!

Also, why does it matter what university you APPLIED to? Surely it's only what university you GO to that matters. Anyone can apply to a good university, doesn't mean that they'll get in.

i don't know why it matters. i certainly hope my employer held the same view as you in this regard. but they case is, he doesn't.
Reply 74
skcusgnihtyreve
during a meeting with the boss.

And this differed from an interview how?

i don't know why it matters. i certainly hope my employer held the same view as you in this regard. but they case is, he doesn't.

Well in that case, you should take it higher - a company can't simply reject you on the grounds that you didn't apply to certain universities.
skcusgnihtyreve
thanks, i only put it on here because i thought TSR would be useful and someone might be able to give me advice on the appropriate people to contact.

Erm... you have a question about LSE admissions, right?

LSE.....

admissions.....

LSE.....

admissions....

Lancaster's Physiotherapy Department will be able to sort you out no problems.

[email protected]
hobnob
Then why don't you just email LSE and have done with it?:rolleyes: You won't prove you're not a liar by having a lengthy discussion on an internet forum with a bunch of people who don't know you or your situation, and who won't be able to help you anyway.

Nail - head - hit.
Reply 77
OP, i've just spoken to a friend at LSE and was told that what you want to do in this case is instead of writing an email to that ug-admissions email they show in their website, find one of the personal emails of a member of staff and explain your situation. now undeniably you have been cheated pretty bad in the whole situation, and if they have any heart they should just help you do this simple favour which should get you the job.

it amuses me how most people have only tried to be pedantic about the OP's situation- if anything the OP should know best about what's going on. has it not been evident enough that she herself disagrees with this stupid accusation anyway? mentalities of people from other countries can differ so much and we cannot just think about everything from our own perspectives.
Reply 78
OP - has it occurred to you that you may be blowing this out of proportion altogether? How exactly were you intending to provide this potential employer with information they haven't actually asked for? "Hey, I've got a letter proving I got an offer from LSE" is not exactly a vote-winner.

If you genuinely believe that your integrity is being questioned your best bet is probably to contact UCAS and see if they can provide you with a full transcript of your application from two years ago. You can make this request under the Data Protection Act subject to paying the relevant fee (£10 I think) and if the information is still available (it might not be, but if it is) they must provide you with it.

I'd forget about getting anything from LSE if I were you, although you could check with their Admissions Office whether they are still holding any information from your application, and if so the Data Protection Act also applies.

You do have to make any DPA request in writing though, not sure if email counts.
Danny_777
How on earth did you find this out?

"Excellent. I look upon you more favourably for that."

...?

Great point.

Haha. Cos (it was for a summer internship) I got the position, and after getting to know the interviewer very well, as I was working directly for him, he told me exactly what he thought of my interview. And that's one of the things he said! Crazy, but I didn't complain! :-p

Latest

Trending

Trending