Reply 40
Slothuus
Yup, almost the same here:

SPS, Cambridge
ESPS, UCL
IR, LSE
IR, St. Andrews
IR, Edinburgh or PAIS, Warwick.

and then History and Politics + European Studies, Trinity College Dublin.

Sounds good, what kind of A-levels are you taking?

Sorry if i'm being nosey :P
Reply 41
Yeah i'm taking A levels.

Taking 4 AS this year and dependent on the reults I will take 3/4 next year alongside 2/3 additional AS's so I will have between 4.5 and 5.5 :P

Have got quite a nice looking CV with regards to employment and have worked in various sectors doing various things, just need to make sure I do well this year and of course next year.

Hoping I can make it into one of my top 3 but of course it will require some real good results and an impressive PS(which shouldn't be too hard :s-smilie:), just have to wait and see...
Reply 42
BillyMarsh
I have made my mind up for all 5, if all goes well with my AS's this is what I will apply for and where...

1. BA Social and Political Sciences Cambridge
2. BSc International Relations LSE
3. MA International Relations St.Andrews
4. BA International Relations Durham
5. BSocSc Politics and International Relations Manchester

Anyone else similar?

Yeah pretty similar, if I get AAAA/AAAB this summer.

Cambridge SPS or LSE Government
Bristol Politics
Durham Politics
Manchester Politics
Warwick/Exeter/Birmingham/Bath etc
Reply 43
If all my AS-levels go well (AAAA or AAAB):smile: then;

Oxford- Politics, Philosophy, Economics
Warwick- Politics
Sheffield- Politics
Bath- Politics
York- Politics, Philosophy, Economics

i'm doing AS (Politics, History, English Lit, Philosophy)
Reply 44
O and General studies does anyone know which Unis accept it? (I've heard Sheffield?)
Albangura
O and General studies does anyone know which Unis accept it? (I've heard Sheffield?)

I think Birmingham do :smile:
Reply 46
Toxic Tears
No offense but your AS level subjects are unsuitable for studying at top unis especially Oxbridge and LSE. English lang, psychology, ICT and somewhat environmental science aren't well respected. If I was you I would definitely keep Spanish then definitely fight tooth and nail to do History. Then maybe English Lang or Environmental science.

English Lang is well respected indeed. Sometimes moreso than english lit because it's more scientific.
Reply 47
02mik_e
If all goes well with my AS:

Warwick-Politics
Bristol- Politics
Sheffield- Politics
York- Politics
Newcastle- Politics

Next year i am hopeful of doing a Politics AS Level :smile:

Warwick seems nice. Probably applying there as well!
Reply 48
Mike_P
Warwick seems nice. Probably applying there as well!

:colone: it's competition lol i was joking. I don't even know whther i will be able to apply with my upcoming AS grades :frown:
Reply 49
02mik_e
:colone: it's competition lol i was joking. I don't even know whther i will be able to apply with my upcoming AS grades :frown:

Hehe :p:. I'm not applying for straight Politics though, probably with international studies or PPE.

Hey, do your best. You can never loose anything on trying, and I'm sure it will be fine. What subjects you going to take?
Reply 50
Mike_P
Hehe :p:. I'm not applying for straight Politics though, probably with international studies or PPE.

Hey, do your best. You can never loose anything on trying, and I'm sure it will be fine. What subjects you going to take?

Well, at AS i am taking History, Law, English Lit & Economics, but next year i am hopeful (if my head of year allows me) to do a Politics AS Level. On top of this i hope to do an Economics AEA :smile:
Reply 51
So anyone have any idea of what they'd like to do with these aforementioned degrees? Any particular plan or is it just play it by here?
Reply 52
BillyMarsh
So anyone have any idea of what they'd like to do with these aforementioned degrees? Any particular plan or is it just play it by here?

I want to become the PM of Denmark. President or Foreign Minister of EU wouldn't be too bad either. :p:

No, seriously, I'm almost for sure going into Danish politics sooner or later. Hopefully I'll make it all the way to the top!

A job in EU is another dream of mine. Less than President is acceptable :smile:

Perhaps I'll get across journalism at some point as well.
Reply 53
Slothuus
I want to become the PM of Denmark. President or Foreign Minister of EU wouldn't be too bad either. :p:

No, seriously, I'm almost for sure going into Danish politics sooner or later. Hopefully I'll make it all the way to the top!

A job in EU is another dream of mine. Less than President is acceptable :smile:

Perhaps I'll get across journalism at some point as well.

I would like to get into European Politics, possibly the environment or something a little more international.

Journalism can come quite easily with a political job, there are bajillions of journalists who have been or are active politicians.

One thing for sure.... NO ENGLISH POLITICS!
minelli
English Lang is well respected indeed. Sometimes moreso than english lit because it's more scientific.

No it's not.
Reply 55
Toxic Tears
No it's not.

That's what I was told and also because so many people do English Literature. English lit/lang combined is supposed to be pretty worthless. But I suppose it depends what course you were going for Lang would be needed if you were doing Linguistics.
Reply 56
Predicted ABB, although I've got a good feeling that I might pull an AAB out of the hat, and I'm picking up economics next year (doing both AS+A2 to make myself more attractive to unis, and primarily LSE, can't harm I'm guessing). Gonna apply for:

LSE - IR + History (if I can get that AAB and LSE takes kindly to me taking eco and thinks I'll do well in it..I might just squeak an offer)
Sussex - IR (much more likely)
Reading - IR + History (worst case scenario insurance)
??
??

Finding it hard to fill out the last two places with realistic unis while remaining in the south and avoiding the cesspit that is Wales.

When I leave Uni, I'd like a job in any international organisation really, the Foreign and Commonwealth office is my dream though, but we shall see!
Reply 57
ajp100688
Predicted ABB, although I've got a good feeling that I might pull an AAB out of the hat, and I'm picking up economics next year (doing both AS+A2 to make myself more attractive to unis, and primarily LSE, can't harm I'm guessing). Gonna apply for:

LSE - IR + History (if I can get that AAB and LSE takes kindly to me taking eco and thinks I'll do well in it..I might just squeak an offer)
Sussex - IR (much more likely)
Reading - IR + History (worst case scenario insurance)
??
??

Finding it hard to fill out the last two places with realistic unis while remaining in the south and avoiding the cesspit that is Wales.

When I leave Uni, I'd like a job in any international organisation really, the Foreign and Commonwealth office is my dream though, but we shall see!

Hi.
Yeah, just go for it. Try to get that AAB!
If you don't get offers but AAB, I would say re-apply next year. It would be really good if you got these grades, and economics seems quite appealing when applying to many different subjects.
I would like you to have a look at this programme - It's a great university, and I could guess the course would be in your interest:
Warwick - AAB
This institution is quite famous for international terrorism, security politics - That's what I believe - and they offer international relations with different joint subjects.
Aberystwyth

Other than that, try to write this PS which shows who you are and where your interests lie, and you have nothing to loose.
Try Exeter or Birmingham (if that's not too Northerly).
Reply 59
King's offer War Studies, which is meant to be the same as IR.

Latest

Trending

Trending