The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Self Catered Parking Permits?

Wondering if anyone could shed any light on this situation...

I spoke to the Self Catering Office last week about getting a parking permit for Lafrowda next year, only to be told there will be no parking whatsoever. Not for residents, not for staff. Apparently.

I know Self Catering are prone to fabricating the truth / forgetting / lying so was just wondering if anyone else heard anything about this?

Apparently also they're building new blocks on St. Germans Road, not sure where but I got the impression they were going to build on the tennis courts.
Reply 1
Hmm thats interesting...I don't really know what to suggest either, You could apply for parking elsewhere, I know you should be able to get parking elsewhere - they told us in Cooks that if we wanted our cars we should get a permit to park in Birks. IIRC you're disabled are you not? So I expect you could use that as a reason why you *need* your car etc etc...
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Hmm, there is definatly parking outside lawfrowda. Theres normally limited parking spaces per set of halls. But they are very strong against advising people to bring their cars. I managed to get a parking space and I know plently of people around campus that do.
Reply 3
Yeah, parking even last year was very limited, I was lucky and got the very last permit!

Its just strange when I talked to Self Catering, they said there will be no parking at the Self Catering Halls as they need the spaces for building contractors. From what I gathered theyre building new blocks around Laffy or something...

Anyway when I asked for a viable alternative I received the reply "How about you just don't bring a car". Helpful, as always...
Reply 4
Very odd... Lafrowda is going to private contractors in April 09 as I just read in Expose, so that might have something to do with it?
Reply 5
On xnet there's a thread about how they're planning to get rid of some parking and move it elsewhere, I think, which would explain the lack of availability next year if campus is going to turn into a building site.

*looks*

here's some relevant threads:
http://xmedia.ex.ac.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=19321&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
http://xmedia.ex.ac.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?f=107&t=19189&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
Reply 6
Seems strange according to those plans though that the building is solely Duryard, XFi and Stocker Road.. Yet St. Germans Road has no direct access to these places (except of course off Prince of Wales Road), seems a little strange that they'd need the space bearing in mind there is no new development on St. Germans at all.

Whats this about the private contractor? I heard something about it a little while back, unfortunately conjured up nightmares of Club Easy, Cardens et al.
Reply 7
Not sure. You'll have to ask around on xnet - the oldies-but-goodies know more about this than I do (I suggest chatting to anudeglory and Stanley).
from what i heard on the laffy grapevine and also being one of the lucky lucky people whose flat is used for everything from showing the contractors round, to being used in the prospectus, to being used in the open day, to keeping millions of maintenance people in jobs for no apparent reason... that they are selling/have sold laffy and st germans and rowe house to private contractors rather than being university owned with a view that these contractors have to knock laffy down and rebuild.

i heard some suit on a mobile talking about having a nine storey building so i hope they plan to include a lift in that and not too sensitive fire alarms... imagine nine storeys of pain everytime someone uses their hairspray/deodrant.
Reply 9
I heard much the same, but once again its all just whispers. It does all seem very strange bearing in mind they've just spent all that time and effort upgrading most of Standard to Enhanced...

But apparently the contract fell through for this year from what I heard, and next year its all going ahead. Since the uni's campus accomodation is over-subscribed I do find it strange they would let them knock down Lafrowda as its one of the biggest Halls, where exactly do they plan to put all the first years?

And until the new Duryard is finished, I see that posing even more of a problem. Is it just me who thinks that having said private contractor as your landlord is a little unnerving.. Hearing some of the horror stories going around recently, and even myself having the displeasure of dealing with Cardens all of this year.

Disappointing once again with Self Catering / Uni keeping everyone in the dark over their proposed plans. I want answers dammit!
Theres now an article in Expose so I think its slightly more than whispers. I believe they are holding an auction as to who gets Laffy etc and I believe its a 35 or 50 year contract..
Reply 11
I don't think they'll be knocking Laffy down given that it's the biggest student accommodation that the uni has. As far as I'm aware it's merely changing hands?
Reply 12
As received today from the Student's Guild.

Dear Lawrence,

I understand from Jess Dow that you have heard some rumours about car parking on campus for students who live in Residences next year and have requested some clarification.

As part of the Universities Green Travel Plan the University have agreed that no parking will be available to students living in campus accommodation,the following extract will be published in the residential student Guide to Services and Facilities.

I do hope that this clarifies this point for you. Please note that only a very small number of students will be returning to University accommodation this year so current students are unlikely to be affected.

The University has a Green Travel Plan available at www.exeter.ac.uk and actively seeks to encourage green travel. In line with this, it has been confirmed that from academic year 2008/09 there will be NO parking on either the Streatham or St Lukes (including Rowancroft) campuses for resident students.

For most students resident in self-catered accommodation the use of a car is not necessary The Streatham Campus and St Lukes campuses are compact and Exeter City centre is within easy walking distance of both.

Public transport is readily available and many students use taxis on a shared basis for transport to and from social activities.

Roads around both of the University’s Exeter campuses are subject to restrictions laid down by the local Council, which include pay and display and residents’ permit holders only parking. Students in University residences do not qualify for resident permits in these areas.

You are strongly advised to avoid bringing a car to Exeter.

Students with mobility impairment or other disability-related transport needs may apply to Resident Tutor/Residence Manager in advance for a parking permit and, subject to providing appropriate proof of entitlement, such students will be given priority and their permits will be issued free of charge.

The University’s parking regulations can be viewed at http://www.ex.ac.uk/about/parking/student_regs.shtml

N.B. Motor vehicles which infringe parking or traffic regulations may receive a fixed penalty infringement notice or be clamped. A fee will be charged for release, or the car may be removed if illegally parked (e.g. on double yellow lines) and the owner will have to pay the costs of removal and recovery, which may be in excess of £200.

Enquiries regarding the car parking regulations, clamping fee, fines or current charges should be directed to Lafrowda House, Room G9 or telephone on 01392 (72) 5450.

I am also attaching a statement from the University Press Office concerning the Sale and leasing of certain student residences which I hope will answer your questions. Apologies for the background colour I have taken the section from another documents and I cannot alter it!

The University is getting larger. To improve the quality of the student experience at Exeter we need to provide more purpose-built student accommodation and to refurbish some of our existing stock.

We used to fund new student developments ourselves. We would borrow money from the banks, build the residences and then use student rents to repay the mortgage. This is a perfectly good strategy up to a point; but you do get eventually get to a position where the borrowing starts to get in the way of academic developments. In other words, banks will only lend us a certain amount of money based on our income and if we use all of that credit limit on residences then we can't fund developments which support the academic fundamentals of learning, teaching and research.

Exeter is now firmly amongst the top 20 UK universities in all of the major league tables and we aim to get into the top 10 by 2012. Part of our plan to get there involves a £450 million investment in student and academic facilities by 2020. Included in that is the Forum Project (a £40 million development to provide new social and study spaces in the space between Devonshire House and the Main Library), £25m on new facilities for the business school, £18 million for Biosciences and so on.

To deliver all of that and build/renovate student accommodation ourselves clearly isn't possible; so we need to work with high quality partners to realise all of our ambitions.

Over the last few years, we have increasingly been providing new student residences through private sector providers such as Signpost and Unite. This saves us borrowing the money ourselves and means we can spend the money on academic and supporting developments instead. Two major new developments, in Bonhay Road and New North Road, are being built now and will be ready in October. Work is just about to start on the Rowancroft site near St Luke's. More projects are in the pipeline. There are a variety of models for running residences, but providers are generally anxious to provide services to the University's specification because it is in their interests for us to recommend their accommodation. The providers are aware that their proposals are part of the University's drive to enhance the student experience here at Exeter and we clearly we wouldn't recommend anything that wasn't of a high enough standard.

We are now planning to offer some existing student accommodation to the private sector as well: this is increasingly common practice in Higher Education and certainly not unique to Exeter.

The process is being monitored by a specially comprised group with members from the Students Guild. The accommodation has been offered on leases of 35-50 years. This is not a sale of freehold and the properties will revert back to the University at the end of the lease. The lease is expected to generate upwards of £25 million which would be put towards funding new academic facilities. A total of 981 existing bed spaces on the Streatham Campus have been offered to the private sector on a leasehold basis (717 at Lafrowda, 120 at Rowe and 144 at St Germans). The new operator is also required to undertake to gain planning approval and develop new student residential accommodation - in excess of 1,000 rooms - on several other sites, including Birks, Rowe, Elmbrook Cottage, Duryard and Lafrowda.

The aim is to enhance the student experience through this transaction by providing significantly more fit for purpose student residential accommodation, as an alternative to rooms in terraced houses in the City which some students find are unfit for their needs. The bidders are aware of the requirement to enhance the student experience and any potential new operator is expecting to invest in improving facilities. The University will also have contractual rights to enforce minimum levels of service to students and build quality. The final agreement will include provisions to ensure that the successful bidder will have to maintain rents consistent with the University rents and the higher education sector generally. The successful bidder and the University will need to work in close partnership.

The transaction may involve the transfer of around 35 staff, mainly cleaners, to a new operator. Under European TUPE rules they would transfer across and retain their existing terms and conditions. However, this may be unnecessary if the new operator wishes the University to continue to operate the residences under contract. If staff do not wish to transfer across then it is very likely that new positions can be found for them within the University.

The initial tender has been advertised and a shortlist of three potential providers has been selected. The three potential providers presented their draft proposals for new residences and service level principals to the University and the Guild. Of these two were very warmly received, but it was clear that one party had more work to do if they were to satisfy the University and the Guild that they could meet the high standards expected of a potential operator of University residences. We are now engaged in competitive dialogue with these providers with a view to making a final decision in September. The new providers would be expected to take over the residences in April 2009. The University has no plans to offer any further residences for lease.

Regards

Tricia Punchard

Latest

Trending

Trending