The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Does anyone know anything about issues of authenticity and objectivity with mystical experience????

Sadly ee ran out of lessons before covering mystical experience and my tx books are really unclear..

hx
Reply 61
Hey people. Do you think it'd be risky of me to leave out mysticism for Monday's exam? I am much stronger on the other two questions and would rather do those instead. Is this suicidal of me?
I was seriously considering doing that also...im nt too fond of near death experiences/mysticism....however im not too good with explaining wat a priori/posterior argument is and how it links to the ontological and cosmological arguments...and what Anselm says about faith and reason:s-smilie: i've seen that question in many past past papers.
if anyone has any notes or is willing to explain any of these things to me I will appreciate it:smile:
i like the evil stuff too thats nice...i don't like evil, but u get what i mean lol:P.....
Reply 63
Hehe. I find the faith and reason thing a bit hard to write a whole essay on. I just don't think I have enough time to revise mysticism and NDEs and I haven't even learnt that thoroughly enough. :s-smilie: All I know is the ontological argument is an a priori argument and the cosmological is an a posteriori argument.
ahhh i dont have time eitherr at least you have jus have one other exam iv got chemistry and bio to revise for as well.... stress!!!
good luck with it...im sure u can get it done....im only starting to revise evrything today...so im sure u can get NDE's and mysticism done no problem!
what do you know about faith and reasonn please??
I've not started revising for it at all yet so I am sure you can fit it in. You can usually avoid a topic if you want to but it is a risk incase the other questions are beasts.
yeahhh i don't think u should avoid it..
you will be able to get it done:smile:
i'm sure you've done more than me and i'm still planning on doing it somehoww?:s-smilie:
Reply 68
defo! its best to start now then never! good luck x
Reply 69
Does anyone know mysticism?? I'm so stuck on it, and issues of authenticity and objectivity.. Got history as well on monday which is SO much to learn. Heres hoping RS is easy!

hx
1 (a) Outline the ontological argument as presented by Anselm, and explain why this argument
is considered a proof’of the claim God exists’. (20 marks)
(b) Explain what this argument shows about the relationship between reason and faith, and
assess the view that this argument is useless for the non-believer and pointless for the
believer.

:frown::frown:
i can do the first part of 1 (a) but not the second part of it
and i cant do (b) at all

mann this is badd:frown:
there is no way im doing mysticism or NDEs lol
i really hope anselm comes up
and no process theodicy
my teacher told us they never ask questions on it! idiot
also am i the only one doing life after death for RS12?
i though religious experiencewould be easier but death look more interesting
slightly regretting it now :frown:
miranda7719
also am i the only one doing life after death for RS12?
i though religious experiencewould be easier but death look more interesting
slightly regretting it now :frown:

I am doing Rel Ex but I agree. If we had been given the option, I'd have done life after death - it looks so much more interesting.
i don't really think they can mixed question up together...they haven't done so in the past...they can't they have to ask one question on each thing...
Reply 74
affinity89
Be warned though, I've looked at the past papers and unlike some of the other modules the questions are harder to predict. For example, on RS08 there is always a question on signs, a question on discourses and a question on the passion/resurrection narratives. But, for this one I've seen papers with two questions on different aspects of the same topic which ensures you cannot avoid it.

If you have the time, I think it is worth going over everything.

Really? I looked through them and it seemed the most clear cut to me- literally question 1-existence of God, question 2-problem of evil, question 3-mysticism/NDEs 2004-2007.

Like you say though- still best to go over everything if you have time anyway just in case a beast of a question comes up.

I'm ignoring NDEs myself though. :redface:
ok im doing...

ontological/cosmological and evil..

hated religous experience last year, and hate it this year aswell!!!- although that may change id NDE's come up cause they're easy

How's everyone finding revision??? exam in the morning yeah??????

arghh
Suspect
Really? I looked through them and it seemed the most clear cut to me- literally question 1-existence of God, question 2-problem of evil, question 3-mysticism/NDEs 2004-2007.

Like you say though- still best to go over everything if you have time anyway just in case a beast of a question comes up.

I'm ignoring NDEs myself though. :redface:

Sorry. It was the format we were given them. I've just looked on the website and of course, you are right. Oh well. Things are better than I thought. =D
1a. Explain the contrasting approaches taken to the challenge of proving the existence of God by the cosmological and ontological arguments.
1b. “Faith does not need proof.” Explain why this claim might be made, and assess the view that the cosmological and Ontological arguments for God’s existence have no value for religious believers today.

2a. Explain what the Augustinian Theodicy and process thought teach about the nature and origin of evil.
2b. Explain why the existence of evil is a challenge to faith, and assess the view that the Augustinian Theodicy meets that challenge, but process thought does not.

3a. Examine the variety of mystical experiences.
3b. “The essence of a mystical experience is beyond description.” Explain this statement, and assess the view that only those who have had a mystical experience are able to judge them.

1a. Outline the ontological argument as presented by Anselm, and explain why this argument is considered a ‘proof’ of the claim ‘God exists’.
1b. Explain what this argument shows about the relationship between reason and faith, and assess the view that this argument is useless for the non-believer and pointless for the believer.

2a. “In the Irenaean Theodicy, the purpose of suffering is soul-making.” Explain this view.
2b. Explain why the existence of pointless suffering would challenge faith in God, and assess the view that a God who intends us to suffer cannot be an all-loving God.

3a. Explain what is meant by a near-death experience and what it means to say that such experiences are ‘purely subjective’.
3b. “The experiences are real, but the interpretation of them as religious experiences is mistaken.” Explain why some people may hold this view of near-death experiences, and discuss how far you agree with it.

1a. Outline the cosmological argument for the existence of God as presented by Aquinas and by the Kalam tradition.
1b. Explain the strengths of the cosmological argument, and assess the view that the cosmological argument shows that it is reasonable to believe in God.

2a. Explain what is meant by evil and summarise the explanation for the existence of evil found in process thought.
2b. Explain the role of free will in the Augustinian theodicy, and assess the view that free will is a satisfactory explanation for the existence of evil in God’s world.

3a. Identify and explain the defining characteristics of a mystical experience.
3b. “The only thing that is religious about mystical experiences is the way in which some people interpret them.” Explain this statement, and assess how far you agree with it.
whats everyones predictions then??
Reply 79
affinity89
Sorry. It was the format we were given them. I've just looked on the website and of course, you are right. Oh well. Things are better than I thought. =D

Np- I'm happy its this way too :biggrin:

My guess is that its gonna be a cosmological one, irenaean and then NDE.

Latest

Trending

Trending