The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
usman_psycho
i got a cousin whose Consultant Actuarist at PWC, and he said that it normally takes an average of 3-4 years for people to qualify at PWC, but he said its quite hard to get in. Experience in the field is quite vital, as the drop out rate is quite high!! So they want to see you are for it. It can take up to 14 years to qualify, but thats normalyl people who are not really keen on qualifying.

As for actuarial science degree, the fastest person to qualift at PWC, was a City University Graduate who did Actuarial Science, it took him 1 Year!!! He did all his exams that year! (Must have been one clever guy!)

yeah, i thought sth didnt add up, actuary seems such a great job, yet there is a lack of qualified ones- so does that mean it must be really hard to get trainee position??? so a large proportion of ppl who wanna be actuaries just can't even get a chance to train right?
Its hard to get in to PwC for anything. If you get a good mathematical degree with 2:1 or 1st, then im pretty sure you'll havea chance to get in to training. Its just that the exams to qualify for one is soo hard most people only complete half of it, and stick to that, or drop out completely and change job. The more exams you pass the more you earn!
marabara
that is quick, but bear in mind he'll have had a lot of exemptions and he may have even prepared for the courses before starting work

its no use talking about the average qualification time if you don't know how many exemptions these people have on average - there are 15 exams to do and actuarial science graduates often get 8/9 exemptions while maths graduates get up to one or perhaps two

The 3-4 year average is for PwC only. I was told the Government Department of Actuary has an average of 6/7 years! So each place differs...

Latest

Trending

Trending