Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Exhaust blowing (but problem sort of fixed!) will it pass MOT?

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a strange thread title I know, but....

The middle part of my exhaust had a couple of holes in it (noticed at last service but told it was nothing to worry about for the moment). It got slightly worse and my Dad has patched it up by putting part of a tin can round it (we tried the bandages etc you get from Halfords but it blew straight through them).

As far as I can see there is no leaking from the hole anymore and no excessive noise (infact it sounds like a normal exhaust again!)...

It has to go for its MOT in a few weeks, is it likely to pass? Or fail because it's been patched up etc?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think you would need the exhaust welded rather than having a tin can wrapped around it. Mine had to get welded when it had a small hole in it to pass the MOT.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the tin can might just fail it hun. :P
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    DIY at its best.

it will most probably fail.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Again, get yourself down the scrappy and try and get a cheap one to last you through? One of the easiest things to fit. :P
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just get a new exhaust?

Back box is around £20 and piss easy to fit and mid section around £35...

Not an expensive job, and will last years!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry. That wont pass.
    I welded the rear silencer on my first car. Within a week of it passing the MoT the metal around the patch started to blow through.

It was my fault there was a hole in the exhaust anyway... turning it over on the starter with not enough choke... eventually the cylinders filled up with fuel which ran down the exhaust. I realised the choke was in, pulled it out, turned her over and she fired straight away accompanied by an explosion from the rear silencer. I tore an 11 inch hole in it.
    Worse still, the silencer was immediately underneath the fuel tank.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bugger!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Just get a new exhaust?

Back box is around £20 and piss easy to fit and mid section around £35...

Not an expensive job, and will last years!
    Yeah I looked into getting a new part for it (it's the middle bit with the bends in it) and it isn't expensive as you say - just wondered if I might get lucky!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gillipies)
    Yeah I looked into getting a new part for it (it's the middle bit with the bends in it) and it isn't expensive as you say - just wondered if I might get lucky!
    It will be easier and less time consuming in the long run.

You could do it yourself, exhausts are just heavy and awkward, but all you need is some elbow grease and some exhaust sealant stuff to put on the ends and it is a done deal.

You don't need much so just get a small tube. It is not expensive.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    It will be easier and less time consuming in the long run.

You could do it yourself, exhausts are just heavy and awkward, but all you need is some elbow grease and some exhaust sealant stuff to put on the ends and it is a done deal.

You don't need much so just get a small tube. It is not expensive.

Too true.
    Any exhaust work I do now is done off the car; just unbolt the downpipes from the manifolds and unhook all the rubber hangers and take the whole exhaust system off in one piece. I've had enough of rolling round on my back messing around with exhausts for one lifetime.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The MOT test doesn't require a perfect exhaust to pass. A small gas leak in the middle or back sections will only constitute an advisory point.

But you don't know where their threshold is.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    By the way... do you have a Mark 1 Clio? I have a nearly-new exhaust I need to sell :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You never know, booked in for next tuesday so we'll see how it goes!

Nah... it's Rover 200 I'm afraid
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by div curl F = 0)
    Too true.
    Any exhaust work I do now is done off the car; just unbolt the downpipes from the manifolds and unhook all the rubber hangers and take the whole exhaust system off in one piece. I've had enough of rolling round on my back messing around with exhausts for one lifetime.
    Meh, it's never bothered me.
    I put the front wheels up on ramps and put two axle stands under the rear axle. Thats plenty of room.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2008
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.