The Student Room Group

Exhaust blowing (but problem sort of fixed!) will it pass MOT?

Bit of a strange thread title I know, but....

The middle part of my exhaust had a couple of holes in it (noticed at last service but told it was nothing to worry about for the moment). It got slightly worse and my Dad has patched it up by putting part of a tin can round it (we tried the bandages etc you get from Halfords but it blew straight through them).

As far as I can see there is no leaking from the hole anymore and no excessive noise (infact it sounds like a normal exhaust again!)...

It has to go for its MOT in a few weeks, is it likely to pass? Or fail because it's been patched up etc?
I think you would need the exhaust welded rather than having a tin can wrapped around it. Mine had to get welded when it had a small hole in it to pass the MOT.
I think the tin can might just fail it hun. :P
Reply 3
DIY at its best.

it will most probably fail.
Again, get yourself down the scrappy and try and get a cheap one to last you through? One of the easiest things to fit. :P
Reply 5
Just get a new exhaust?

Back box is around £20 and piss easy to fit and mid section around £35...

Not an expensive job, and will last years!
Reply 6
Sorry. That wont pass.
I welded the rear silencer on my first car. Within a week of it passing the MoT the metal around the patch started to blow through.

It was my fault there was a hole in the exhaust anyway... turning it over on the starter with not enough choke... eventually the cylinders filled up with fuel which ran down the exhaust. I realised the choke was in, pulled it out, turned her over and she fired straight away accompanied by an explosion from the rear silencer. I tore an 11 inch hole in it.
Worse still, the silencer was immediately underneath the fuel tank. :frown:
Reply 7
Bugger!
Reply 8
gbduo
Just get a new exhaust?

Back box is around £20 and piss easy to fit and mid section around £35...

Not an expensive job, and will last years!

Yeah I looked into getting a new part for it (it's the middle bit with the bends in it) and it isn't expensive as you say - just wondered if I might get lucky!
Reply 9
gillipies
Yeah I looked into getting a new part for it (it's the middle bit with the bends in it) and it isn't expensive as you say - just wondered if I might get lucky!

It will be easier and less time consuming in the long run.

You could do it yourself, exhausts are just heavy and awkward, but all you need is some elbow grease and some exhaust sealant stuff to put on the ends and it is a done deal.

You don't need much so just get a small tube. It is not expensive.
gbduo
It will be easier and less time consuming in the long run.

You could do it yourself, exhausts are just heavy and awkward, but all you need is some elbow grease and some exhaust sealant stuff to put on the ends and it is a done deal.

You don't need much so just get a small tube. It is not expensive.

Too true.
Any exhaust work I do now is done off the car; just unbolt the downpipes from the manifolds and unhook all the rubber hangers and take the whole exhaust system off in one piece. I've had enough of rolling round on my back messing around with exhausts for one lifetime.
Reply 11
The MOT test doesn't require a perfect exhaust to pass. A small gas leak in the middle or back sections will only constitute an advisory point.

But you don't know where their threshold is.
Reply 12
By the way... do you have a Mark 1 Clio? I have a nearly-new exhaust I need to sell :p:
Reply 13
You never know, booked in for next tuesday so we'll see how it goes!

Nah... it's Rover 200 I'm afraid :redface:
Reply 14
0 div curl F
Too true.
Any exhaust work I do now is done off the car; just unbolt the downpipes from the manifolds and unhook all the rubber hangers and take the whole exhaust system off in one piece. I've had enough of rolling round on my back messing around with exhausts for one lifetime.

Meh, it's never bothered me.
I put the front wheels up on ramps and put two axle stands under the rear axle. Thats plenty of room.

Latest