The Student Room Group

Is it wrong to feel disappointed?

Well, today I found out my English coursework for 'Much Ado About Nothing' was a very high B, borderlining the A, they say it could go either way. I feel completely ungrateful and rather selfish but would it be wrong for me to say I'm slightly downbeat about it?
I've consistently worked hard throughout the year, and it seems all of my effort is not paying off and now it made me think I can not do the best I can.
I am very aware of how difficult it is to get an A in English Literature, especially 'Spies' and 'A Woman Of No Importance' to an extent. Now I am fretting that the coursework will not help bring my marks up if I messed the examinations up. I am sorry, but I feel I have to let off some steam in order to feel better.
On another note, I was thinking in terms of language analysis in the exams, to quote and identify a language device and then see what it reveals about particular character/theme/motif or context. Would I be able to comment on all four in one paragraph? Or just focus solely on one and then go on to the next one in a future quote? (Sorry if I am stating the obvious!)
Sorry if I am not making any sense, and I apologize for coming across as completely ungrateful, it just feels like all of this hard work is not being rewarded.
Last year, I was told the my Coursework on The Glass Menagerie was a strong A Grade, and when I got my results in august I had a C.
Reply 2
Jamsie_853

On another note, I was thinking in terms of language analysis in the exams, to quote and identify a language device and then see what it reveals about particular character/theme/motif or context. Would I be able to comment on all four in one paragraph? Or just focus solely on one and then go on to the next one in a future quote? (Sorry if I am stating the obvious!)

I think either would be OK as long as you have enough quotations and enough interesting language analysis overall. That might mean you analyse two quotations in depth and merely integrate a load of others, or it might mean that you give brief analyses of many quotations.

Jamsie_853
Sorry if I am not making any sense, and I apologize for coming across as completely ungrateful, it just feels like all of this hard work is not being rewarded.

Eh, I know the feeling. I was ungrateful when I got 90%. :dontknow:

...That said, I wouldn't worry about your coursework mark. It was the first thing you were ever marked for in A-level literature. You'll be better by the time of the exams (which count for much more anyway). :smile:
I got an A and I got that mark for my coursework...a C in Spies and an A in the other thingy

Chill :wink:
Not at all. If you feel you can get an A and don't then it's natural to be down. I should be getting AAA but my mocks (AS btw) were BBC at the most. Not good...
But there's always room to improve. Even 100% isn't enough :wink:
I wouldn't fret too much. Totally possible to get a low grade (not that I am for a minute suggesting that a high B is a low grade!) in one module but come out with an A.

And does the letter really matter? It's all about the numbers. If one module is only a few marks off an A then who cares? As long as another one is a few marks over an A then you're laughing.

You'll get nowhere stressing yourself out over this.
Reply 6
Thank you everyone for understanding, you're right, all I can do is do my best in the exams and no one can hold that against me. As long as I continuously analyse language and relate it back to themes, characters, context and motifs I am sure I should be okay as well as remembering to be clear in my perspective and all!
My three pieces of CW are A* (just), and I am still sooo scared about the exam, because I really want an A overall for Lit. The problem with Lit is that it is a really difficult subject. Also, you can never tell what you have got and you have that dreaded 2 months until the results come out!
Reply 8
I remember being told I achieved an A in that unit, my entire class was marked down though and I ended up with a pretty low B.

A high B is good in the long term, who cares if it's a few marks off an A? you might get an A that's a few marks over. It'll make up for it.
Reply 9
To get an a in coursework the essays got to be like a * standard (which they dont even do at a level) due to the amount of time, help etc comapred to doing it in an exam, yet determination should get you the mark you want. I'd be disappointed. For AS we did Shakespeare as an exam, as my teacher thought it wouldbe easier to do well (and he couldn't be arsed to mark coursework) but for A2 we have done coursework, and due to my sheer determination its been submitted at full raw marks, yet im expecting this to drop with moderation. everyone in my class was satisfied bar one girl who dropped from 16 to 13 after final draft
Reply 10
Nah, i wouldn't say so, I remember my times when I cried over a low A*(when I usually get high A*s at GCSEs) - ah the fun times).

Just do your very best in the exams. I don't see why you can't get a high A if you put your mind to it1 :smile:
Good luck.
Both of my Biology coursework have been C grade whilst all my exams are high As. I re-sat one of them and it went up 6 marks to a low B. I was gutted because i'd worked so hard on it the second time round.
Spies is really easy to get an A grade in if you understand the assessment objectives etc :p:
Reply 13
Well it is being rewarded...you are getting a B. duhhhh.
As long as you've worked as hard as you possibly can, I don't see how you can be "dissapointed" with what you ever get. Because you can't exactly improve upon your best...
I got a borderline A in my biology c/w, however the class was marked down i was marked up was strange :s-smilie:

o well i wasnt complaining, just saying your mark may change when you get the offcial results
Reply 16
Don't feel too down, I got a B in coursework at AS but came out with an A :smile:
Reply 17
i dont mean 2 sound rude when i say this or anything, but ur putting yourself down. you got a B that will get u an A in the exam! stop putting yourself down! think of all them other people at your college who got D and lower imagine how they feel u got a bloody good grade! i got a c and im so happy with that i didnt get a chance to have a 2nd draft or anything! so count yourself lucky you got that grade!
good luck for wed if u have your eng exam like moi.
x
Reply 18
I do sympathise but its not the end of the world. Although I was really downbeat when I just missed an 'A' in my Spanish Oral, (equivalent of CW) but its mainly cause my teacher is bit of a muppet! Marked me down for speaking too quickly because I knew it 'too well'. His words not mine...sigh

Latest