The Student Room Group

Buying a computer in Cambridge

Having been in Cambridge for a fortnight, I find myself in need of a (desktop) computer for my room. What would be the best way of buying one here? Computer stores seem to be few and far between in Cambridge. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest system I can find, but neither do I want a top-of-the-range one. I think I'm going to buy the parts and assemble it myself, rather than get a complete system.

A few people have suggested online stores instead of going to a shop, but I'd be interested in hearing what people consider to be reputable stores here, online or otherwise.

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Radagasty
Having been in Cambridge for a fortnight, I find myself in need of a (desktop) computer for my room. What would be the best way of buying one here? Computer stores seem to be few and far between in Cambridge. I'm not necessarily looking for the cheapest system I can find, but neither do I want a top-of-the-range one. I think I'm going to buy the parts and assemble it myself, rather than get a complete system.

A few people have suggested online stores instead of going to a shop, but I'd be interested in hearing what people consider to be reputable stores here, online or otherwise.

Thanks in advance.

Building one yourself can be quite tricky...and if things go wrong, it can be tough to get your money back. If you do build one yourself, then ebuyer.co.uk is your best bet, they seem to have the cheapest components around. If you are looking for someone to BUILD IT FOR YOU then online wise you want either microdirect.co.uk (they charge £50 on top to build) or scan.co.uk (they charge £70 on top, but they tend to be veeery good customer service wise, and are PC Builder's of the year or something silly).

Regarding buying in cambridge...so far the only remotely computery shop I have passed is Maplins...that is if you are looking to build one yourself. There is obviously a dixons (or is it a comet? I cant tell the difference) in lion yard, and they probably have some machines in there. However tbh I think that all these companies rip you off.

If you've got the guts, build it yourself....if you've got a spare £50-£70 quid, get it built for you. I would order online in either case!
Reply 2
Try overclockers.co.uk. This thats the website. They have cheap parts and a big message board if you need any help choosing or putting it together. A great help!
Reply 3
Womble548
Try overclockers.co.uk. This thats the website. They have cheap parts and a big message board if you need any help choosing or putting it together. A great help!

although i havent actually delt with these people, i did seriously consider it. I've heard a lot of bad things about overclockers. Scan seem just as reasonably priced, and get better reviews. I'd go with them!
Reply 4
omg woteva u do DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT buy from Maplins cos they are all a bunch of f***krs!!!!! they just really really peeved me off and i vowed never to set foot in that store, EVER again. if ur gonna buy a pc buy it from Robert Sayles (Relatively good price, u kno wot ur getting, gaurantees that if it dnt work u can return it, unlike *hem hem MAPLINS*) or as other people have suggested: comet/dixons type place. Failing that try the internet.
Reply 5
Don't get anything from Cambridge Dixons, it'll be unworkable. John Lewis is expensive, but your warranty is bulletproof.

Maplins is OK if you know what you're doing.
Reply 6
There is an Evesham shop in Cambridge - they do some very good deals for students.
Reply 7
Well... thanks everyone, for your replies. On the basis of what has been said, I think I might buy online. I too have read a number of bad reviews of Overclockers, so I will probably avoid them. I more-or-less know what I want, so I don't need too much help in that respect.

Has anyone else had any experience with the online stores Willa mentioned, viz. microdirect or scan? I would be interested in any further comments or recommendations.

Thanks.
Reply 8
Radagasty
Well... thanks everyone, for your replies. On the basis of what has been said, I think I might buy online. I too have read a number of bad reviews of Overclockers, so I will probably avoid them. I more-or-less know what I want, so I don't need too much help in that respect.

Has anyone else had any experience with the online stores Willa mentioned, viz. microdirect or scan? I would be interested in any further comments or recommendations.

Thanks.

I have never had any problems with Overclockers infact I have found their service to be excellent - I have bought the parts for two computers from there as well as other bits and pieces. The forums are really useful and there customer service is generally very good.
My housemate has had some problems with mirco direct. He ordered a graphics card and they sent him a hard drive. He sends the hard drive back and a few days later a graphics card turns up. Then a few days after that another graphics card turns up. However, my housemate was on holiday so when he got back the 2nd card had been at our house for well over 2 weeks.
The stupid thing is that mirco direct didn't even realise one of their graphics cards was missing :rolleyes: So my housemate gets back from his holiday and after thinking about it for a few days he sends it back. He still hasn't been payed for the cost of him sending a hard drive and a graphics card to mirco direct.

I have had no experience with Scan but I strongly recommend Overclockers UK.
Reply 9
Thanks for that input, JaF. Of course, I'm now more confused than ever, buy, hey, you get that. :confused:

Anyway... I suppose I shall have to make a decision within the next few days, because it is really quite inconvenient not having a computer of my own.

Any other comments, everyone?

JaF
I have never had any problems with Overclockers infact I have found their service to be excellent - I have bought the parts for two computers from there as well as other bits and pieces. The forums are really useful and there customer service is generally very good.
My housemate has had some problems with mirco direct. He ordered a graphics card and they sent him a hard drive. He sends the hard drive back and a few days later a graphics card turns up. Then a few days after that another graphics card turns up. However, my housemate was on holiday so when he got back the 2nd card had been at our house for well over 2 weeks.
The stupid thing is that mirco direct didn't even realise one of their graphics cards was missing :rolleyes: So my housemate gets back from his holiday and after thinking about it for a few days he sends it back. He still hasn't been payed for the cost of him sending a hard drive and a graphics card to mirco direct.

I have had no experience with Scan but I strongly recommend Overclockers UK.
Reply 10
Radagasty
Thanks for that input, JaF. Of course, I'm now more confused than ever, buy, hey, you get that. :confused:

Anyway... I suppose I shall have to make a decision within the next few days, because it is really quite inconvenient not having a computer of my own.

Any other comments, everyone?

if you're gonna get it built for you and cant find a local guy to do it...go with scan! They're high end 3XS system = Very good and is reasonably priced (it's nearly fully customisable...i almost ordered that one...but didnt cos didnt want to pay extra for the aluminium case). Of course you can order whatever bits you want....and it's just 70 quid build charge on top.
Reply 11
Three years ago scan had a very bad rep, I don't know if they've improved since, but I wouldn't buy with them.

OCUK are alright, but don't seem very cheap, whilst it was running theoverclockingstore was better. I usually purchase things from dabs or ebuyer though, and memory direct from crucial.

Alaric.

Latest

Trending

Trending