The Student Room Group

Australia Adventure 2008-2009 - Anyone?

Hey guys,

I'm off to Aus around Sept/Oct time and I'm hoping to rent a place over there whilst I work for a while. I was looking around Cairns, Brisbane etc, and then go traveling. I was planning on going for around 10 months and just see and do as much as possible really, and just hoping to have a mad year that I won't forget before I come back to the UK and begin Uni.

I'm off by myself at the moment so I'm a little worried, plus I think it'd be far more fun with some more people. I've asked all of my mates but they've either got their hearts set on going to Uni or they can't afford it.

If anyone is doing the same or fancies joining me just get in touch.:smile:

Thanks,
Alex
Reply 1
I think that would be well cool. It's my dream to have a gap year in Australia.:smile:
Have you actually sorted it out though and definately going to go?
Reply 2
Just go alone, I'm aware of people that've gone over alone and met lots of others in the same position and had a great time.
Reply 3
Holamigo
I think that would be well cool. It's my dream to have a gap year in Australia.:smile:
Have you actually sorted it out though and definately going to go?

Hi,

Yeah I've semi-planned it and I've booked my tickets lol I'm leaving on the 10th Sept London-Singapore-Brisbane, and from there who knows, we'll see.

The flights only cost £300 with Singapore Airways (£250 tax) but even so, it's not too bad considering what some other airlines charge.

If you're interested then you're more then welcome:smile: I've done a rough plan, just let me know and I'll send you a copy.

Alex
Reply 4
Hey, I am going to Australia about November time for a year to work and travel. Can't wait!
Reply 5
im off around Sept-Oct time for a year. Plan is to go to sydney with something like Oz Intro http://www.ozintro.com/ then find a job doing bar work or something. Stay there for a bit then make my way around the coast.
WOW how did you get your flight ticket so cheap?
I am planning on a year in Aus. I plan to leave Uk 3rd Janury and all flights ae costing £900+
Reply 7
mando_ally
Hey guys,

I'm off to Aus around Sept/Oct time and I'm hoping to rent a place over there whilst I work for a while. I was looking around Cairns, Brisbane etc, and then go traveling. I was planning on going for around 10 months and just see and do as much as possible really, and just hoping to have a mad year that I won't forget before I come back to the UK and begin Uni.

I'm off by myself at the moment so I'm a little worried, plus I think it'd be far more fun with some more people. I've asked all of my mates but they've either got their hearts set on going to Uni or they can't afford it.

If anyone is doing the same or fancies joining me just get in touch.:smile:

Thanks,
Alex

hey, were all going to melbourne to work, we've heard that sydney is too buy and all the jobs go to fast! plus you get to see the Neighbours cast in Melbourne :biggrin: cant wait until October!
Hey, I went to Oz in Sep 07 and lived and worked in Cairns for 4.5 months and had an amazing time, it's a brilliant city (only 100,000 people so tiny really!). Renting a room in a house there incl bills was between AUD$80-120 per week (often cheaper than a week in a hostel room) during the summer months, so perfectly affordable if you're working. I got a job as a waitress after seeing an advert in the local paper and walking into the restaurant. I went alone and lived in a hostel for 2 months where I made some great friends.

Cairns has a great nightlife, cool places to hang out, relatively good shopping, very cheap places to eat, and is generally very well set up for backpackers and tourists with lots of things to see/do. Negatives are the very hot, humid weather (i loved it but a lot of people don't!). Generally every day is 30 degrees + and 80% humidity during summer and the monsoon season is usually from late Jan/Feb for a couple of months.

I only briefly visited Brisbane, which I also really liked. I guess it depends what kind of experience you're after, obviously renting and living in the state capital will be more expensive, but I guess you have better job opportunities and more amenities.

Latest