The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Scroll to see replies

Applying for : Political Science
AS: AABC
A2 (predicted) AAA (yes, including the AS 'C' - not sure how/why it happened.. oh well)
Accomodation i like: Dunno
Choice ranking: Maybe 5.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Applying for : International Studies and Political Science
A2 (predicted) AAAb
Accomodation i like: Dunno as I havent looked yet
Choice ranking: 3
Reply 3
Lauren Hart
Hey! Is anyone applying for 2005 entrance?

Applying for : LAW
AS: AAAC
A2 (predicted) AABB
Accomodation i like: The Beeches
Choice ranking: 1

What about the rest of you? Anyone else wanting to law but freaked about the LNAT - seriously dont want to do it, but i have an offer from leeds already should it all go a bit pear shaped!

Lauren

Applying for : English (Pathway 2)
AS: AAAAA
A2 (predicted): AAAB
Accomodation I Like: Home, unfortunately. Can't afford Halls, and I wouldn't get into them as I have a Birmingham postcode.
Choice Ranking : 1

Really want to go there :smile:
Reply 4
How come your all offering stupidly high grades?

Isn't Birmingham a middle ground university.
SinghFello

if they're asking for people to take the LNAT test, i wouldn't have thought so.
SinghFello

Not at all. It's been one of the consistent high-peformers over the past hundred years.
Yeah you whoever said Birmingham was second/third rate, I can't see your name at the moment but I'm horrified! This is the University of Birmingham, not Aston or UCE.

Birmingham is meant to be one of the top 13 institutions in the country - plus I'm here now so I'm kind of biased...(That's not based on individual subjects) went to the Guardian website, type top 13 or something in the search bit.

I know somebody upstairs doing International and Political Studies or whatever it's meant to be called. All the people I've met (Fresher myself) so far have had equal or higher grades than me, even though their offers were say only ABB. Competition is getting worse every year hence all the half decent uni's are doing tests for Law and Computer Science things like that to distinguish the creme de la creme.

Birmingham is a red brick so Oxbridge it probably isn't but it can happily hold its own, I don't feel ashamed in any way that I've come here - I can think of worse places!
Reply 8
SinghFello

No it's not. The law school, in particular, has an excellent reputation among graduate employers. As a law student at Birmingham I can tell you that graduates are sought after among the top firms.
Reply 9
SinghFello

A lot of people do get it confused with UCE and Aston - i don't know why tho... yes they're all in the same area, but they're all really different. UCE does have a reputation of being a second/third rate uni, but that's because it doesn't really do too well on the academic front. However more vocational degrees (like the teaching ons) are taught really well and are respected. Aston doesn't do half the courses that Birmingham does.

Birmingham = University of Birmingham. I don't think I've ever met anyone who calls UCE 'Birmingham' but I know lots of people who get confused between the lot of them.

Brum tends to ask for higher grades, I need AAB (or BBB with A2B) to get into English.
Applying for : Physics
AS: AAAAC
A2 (predicted) AAAA
Choice ranking: Not sure, I havent visited it, but Ill see it on the open day
Conditional Offer: AAB

Is there anyone who does Physics at Birmingham who could tell me what its like?
Reply 11
Applying for: Theology
AS: AABB (+ B in general studies...but I don't like talking about that!)
A2 (predicted): AA A/B (+ general studies...who knows...?!)
Accomodation i like: ?
Choice ranking: 4/5
pixiepeep
Applying for : English (Pathway 2)
AS: AAAAA
A2 (predicted): AAAB
Accomodation I Like: Home, unfortunately. Can't afford Halls, and I wouldn't get into them as I have a Birmingham postcode.
Choice Ranking : 1

Really want to go there :smile:

Just wanted to say that you shouldn't rule out getting halls if its what you really want. I am a local student- I live in Solihull (postcode B93...), but I was able to get into halls. I would reccommend that you applied for halls anyway, and maybe sent in an extra letter explaining why you feel you should be given halls. It won't do you any harm and if you get halls and decide you don't want them you can just turn them down.

Ruthie xx
Reply 13
AS: AAAE :tongue:
A2 (predicted) AAA
Accomodation i like: My house. B68 yo
Choice ranking: 1
Reply 14
where is b68? i live in b63 which is halesowen..
Applying for : Medicine
A2 (predicted) AAB
Accomodation i like: Commute
Choice ranking: 1st!!
Reply 16
b68 is oldbury. from brum uni 'tis a swift jaunt up the hagley road turn right onto the wolvo and your pretty much there.
AS: AAAB
A2 (predicted) AAAAA
Accomodation i like: God only knows.. somewhere by that lake :wink:
Choice ranking: 5
ruthiepoothie
Just wanted to say that you shouldn't rule out getting halls if its what you really want. I am a local student- I live in Solihull (postcode B93...), but I was able to get into halls. I would reccommend that you applied for halls anyway, and maybe sent in an extra letter explaining why you feel you should be given halls. It won't do you any harm and if you get halls and decide you don't want them you can just turn them down.

Ruthie xx

i live in B44, if i could drive it'd take me 20 minutes... i couldn't afford accomodation anyway. my student loan already has to pay al my fees and my rent to live at home too (£50 a month) and for my transport (a bus and two trains there and back). my parents can't afford to pay for my fees, but i'll still have to pay the whole lot. We've no disposible income, we're constantly taking out overdrafts, but because they earn £31,000+ i'm screwed :frown:
Reply 19
Applying for : Classical Literature and Civilisation
A2 (predicted): A A B/A
Accomodation I like: No idea, it'd be uni accommodation rather than home though.
Choice ranking: Not sure, about 3/4.

Latest

Trending

Trending