The Student Room Group

Maye you medics can help me with my blood test results

Hey, im sure as med students some of you would help me to figure out what the hell is wrong with me!

I just had a blood test and it was all normal except:

I had a Gamma GT level of 123 (normal 0-55) this enzyme is involved in alcohol breakdown, plus other toxins. Now I do drink on a saturday, tending to get drunk, but I am certain that my drinking does not justify this high level. I had a look round online, and an alcoholic for ten years had a level of 119 - MINES HIGHER!!?!?!?!?

Also a low neutrophil count. I didnt get an exact figure as the doctor was flying through the results. It was i think 1.7 (normal around 3.5) I cant tell you what the 1.7 actually means, but lets assume its 50% of what it should be.

I am quite worried about this to be honest. My doctor wasnt helpful and said come back in 4 weeks.

Ill try give u a little history of myself. Im 22, non smoker - drinker. I was injured in a car crash breaking my spinal cord at T10 paralysing me 5 years ago and use a wheelchair (imagine joe from family guy). I am a 'paraplegic' but consider myself of normal fitness. Id say im slightly overweight, and eat fairly ok (definately not great). I am prone to urinary tract infections, and have around 2 per year. I dont ussually go for treatment for this unless I become ill - (could this cause a low Neutrophil count?)

Thats all I can think off for now, but any advice would be bril. Ive done Biology, so dont be scared to use technical terms... thanks guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does your doctor not allow you to ask questions? I'm not going to give you any advice because i know nothing about what you're on about, and more importantly you really should be getting advice from someone qualified and in person.
Reply 2
There are only 3 qualified medics on this forum. The rest are students. Even the qualified ones should not diagnose you over the net. Go to talk to the doc who ordered your test.
Reply 3
Democracy
There are only 3 qualified medics on this forum. The rest are students. Even the qualified ones should not diagnose you over the net. Go to talk to the doc who ordered your test.

Who are they?

Anyway, I can only repeat the previous advice. Go see that doctor again. And in future, don't be afraid to ask questions :smile:
Reply 4
Ice_Queen
Who are they?

Anyway, I can only repeat the previous advice. Go see that doctor again. And in future, don't be afraid to ask questions :smile:

I'm pretty sure Jamie, Ataloss and Anita_xx are qualified doctors.
Reply 5
Democracy

Just as a pedent, and a more general point - medics can offer advice over the net and phone (my dad does) BUT only to patiants they have consulted with extensively and know about. To extend this to a stranger on an internet forum would be absurd.
Reply 6
Wangers
Just as a pedent, and a more general point - medics can offer advice over the net and phone (my dad does) BUT only to patiants they have consulted with extensively and know about. To extend this to a stranger on an internet forum would be absurd.

Fair enough, but the bold was the part I was trying to get accross :p:
Reply 7
I doubt anyones going to try to interpret your results outside their clinical context.

If it helps in the first hospital I worked we had a fake patient ID on the computer system, we'd go out every Thursday night and ran a competition to see who could get the highest GGT result the next day :P Scores in the thousands were not uncommon. So a high GGT in itself isn't the end of the world.

You really need to ask your doctor about your tests specifically.
Reply 8
Right Im a student so dont trust anything I say because I may well be wildly wrong, Im literally stabbing in the dark here.

Firstly whilst your neutrophil count is low, it is still within the normal parameters (just) if the figures are quoted in neutrophils*10^9/L (one of the standards used). Fluctuations in these figures are fairly normal and TBH I wouldnt worry too much on this just now.

Raised gGT levels again could be caused by a whole host of things, so in itself is not really a good diagnostic indicator on its own. It might be that you had a couple the night before...It could be caused by liver damage, then again it can be raised with some pancreatic problems. It could be something like a bilary tract obstruction... the list goes on. Unless you get a positive history match/some other tests with anything like this you cant really say anything for definite.

Hmm looking at some of your other symptoms Im tempted to say possibly diabetes - Gamma GT is sometimes raised in diabetes, and this coupled with your frequent UTIs (also a big thing with diabetes) points a finger at this. However I wouldve thought the doctor wouldve been able to see your plasma glucose levels and so that sort of discourages anything along that line of thought. So dont panic, as I said its more of a stab in the dark than anything else, and I would severely doubt Im right.

So definately discuss whats going on with your doctor and dont be afraid about piping up. It makes their life easier if your the one asking the questions - I can tell you!
Reply 9
martin101
Right Im a student so dont trust anything I say because I may well be wildly wrong, Im literally stabbing in the dark here.

Firstly whilst your neutrophil count is low, it is still within the normal parameters (just) if the figures are quoted in neutrophils*10^9/L (one of the standards used). Fluctuations in these figures are fairly normal and TBH I wouldnt worry too much on this just now.

Raised gGT levels again could be caused by a whole host of things, so in itself is not really a good diagnostic indicator on its own. It might be that you had a couple the night before...It could be caused by liver damage, then again it can be raised with some pancreatic problems. It could be something like a bilary tract obstruction... the list goes on. Unless you get a positive history match/some other tests with anything like this you cant really say anything for definite.

Hmm looking at some of your other symptoms Im tempted to say possibly diabetes - Gamma GT is sometimes raised in diabetes, and this coupled with your frequent UTIs (also a big thing with diabetes) points a finger at this. However I wouldve thought the doctor wouldve been able to see your plasma glucose levels and so that sort of discourages anything along that line of thought. So dont panic, as I said its more of a stab in the dark than anything else, and I would severely doubt Im right.

So definately discuss whats going on with your doctor and dont be afraid about piping up. It makes their life easier if your the one asking the questions - I can tell you!

I'm interested in how you come to your postulations for paras 2+3? I'm not saying anything about them - just how you came to them:confused:
Reply 10
Anyone postulating, guessing or otherwise doing something they're not qualified to do may well like consider things a little. Seriously dodgy ground. Be exceptionally fecking careful.
Reply 11
martin101

Diabetes?! Being paraplegic is going to give him UTIs...

This is why its impossible to interpret these sorts of results outside of their clinical context, we have no idea what specifically your doctor was thinking when they ordered the tests. Another example, mild neutropenia is normal in black people... and we don't even know your race.

Edit: Spelling.
Reply 12
You can convince yourself you have every illness under the sun using internet-diagnosis. Im convinced I have meningitis every Thursday and Sunday morning - fear of bright lights, sweating, headache etc...... :biggrin:
Reply 13
Damn straight, I had TB quite a lot in first year, in addition to meningitis (Stupid student awareness campaign.......), various STDs and, interestingly, osteomylitis. Its a real elephant trap.
Touche
Diabetes?! Being paraplegic is going to give him UTIs...

True, I wasnt saying that I was right. It might be from the denervated bladder, then again it might not be. Im not saying my diagnosis is right, even any good at all, Im not even a clinical student yet so Ive still got ways to go before Im doing this ****.

Wangers
I'm interested in how you come to your postulations for paras 2+3? I'm not saying anything about them - just how you came to them

In relation to my postulations, the neutrophil count was just a figure I plucked off the internet. Upon some further reading it does seem the accepted 'normal' ranges vary massively (even when race is accounted for), which does tend to suggest significant discrepancies in the population.

GGT is a liver enzyme. Defacto with liver damage [GGT]p will rise. In cholestasis, the bile duct obstruction causes GGT to leak out from the cells from increased pressure. I cant think why pancreatic dysfunction could cause it, read it in a book and splatted it down (not good practice I know).

In so far as the diabetes bit is concerned - elevated GGT has been suggested to be a good marker for visceral and hepatic fat (by inference an indicator of hepatic insulin resistance) and that raised serum GGT is an independant risk factor for NIDDM. Obviously frequent UTIs are a classic sign in DM (glucosurea provides a favourable environment for invading pathogens). Finally when blood tests are done, they usually get a glucose level thrown in (correct me if Im wrong) as it is so damn easy to do. I know it can vary a lot in people who arent fasting tested, but it should still be able to give a reasonable indicator if anything is amiss.
Even more dumbing down of medicine.
Reply 16
Touche
If it helps in the first hospital I worked we had a fake patient ID on the computer system, we'd go out every Thursday night and ran a competition to see who could get the highest GGT result the next day :P Scores in the thousands were not uncommon. So a high GGT in itself isn't the end of the world.
WX? :biggrin:
Reply 17
martin101

There's always one who bypasses common sense and decency.

What is the point to your post? The ONLY answer is consult your GP.
Reply 18
Renal
WX? :biggrin:

Or Sarfend..?
Cj-Tj
You can convince yourself you have every illness under the sun using internet-diagnosis. Im convinced I have meningitis every Thursday and Sunday morning - fear of bright lights, sweating, headache etc...... :biggrin:

Lol, NHS Direct's internet self help guide can easily convince you you're having a heart attack! :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending