The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Tut.exe
then you'll thank us for inspiring you to become one.

:biggrin: You win the debate.
Reply 81
There's an accent I hate which I don't quite know how to describe, other than it seems to be the one of choice for all too many of our youth these days. You know..."yeah blud, innit, thafe". If I had my way, the death penalty would be granted to anyone within my earshot who dared speak in such a fashion.
epitomize
in all fairness, different parts of scotland have different accents. the nation cannot just be tarred with the 'scottish' accent brush. it's a bit like saying the 'english' accent is the same everywhere - i think not.

He's taking the piss.
Reply 83
DirtyHarry
He's taking the piss.

Aye right ya bawbag he wasnae takin' the pish, ken?
Reply 84
Amy_J
There's an accent I hate which I don't quite know how to describe, other than it seems to be the one of choice for all too many of our youth these days. You know..."yeah blud, innit, thafe". If I had my way, the death penalty would be granted to anyone within my earshot who dared speak in such a fashion.

Isn't that estuary english? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English) Or just a very bad cockey?
Reply 85
River85
Lol, no they don't.

I forgot to add strong cockney accents to my list. It's not the Georide, Scouser, Brummie and Cockey accents themselves I dislike, just when they are very strong in a person. Then there are many accents that work really well when strong. I love a good, strong Somerset accent :smile:

I seriously think some people pull it off with the eastend accent. Its the working class britain accent.
Reply 86
I love every accent but my own. I have a mild geordie accent, but in the past it used to be very broad. It wasn't until people started telling me how geordie I was that I decided to do something about it, like pronouncing my 't's properly etc. Now, I just can't stand it when people speak in bad grammar.
Reply 87
River85
Isn't that estuary english? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Estuary_English) Or just a very bad cockey?

Cockney? You have to be joking. There's nothing English about it, least of all "cockney".

You must be havin' a tin bath sahn.
Reply 88
an44588
I seriously think some people pull it off with the eastend accent. Its the working class britain accent.

Sure it may be seen internationally as the working class accent of Britain but that's only because it's the working class accent of the capital. It's still ridiculed enough. There are some, however, who can pull it off without sounding like a dim wit, the same goes for other accents such as strong geordie (gosh, I'm really going to get neg repped here lol)!

My working class accents of Britian are the Glasweigian, Geordie, Northumbrian and Durham pitmatic, Yorkshire and Lancashire accents.

That episode of the Simpsons when they gave Ozzy Osborne a cockey (well, mockney) accent. I cringed. His accent is anything but.
Reply 89
Same, I never knew I had a brummie accent until I stayed at nottingham university. Everyone was questionin my intelligence.

gooner1592
I love every accent but my own. I have a mild geordie accent, but in the past it used to be very broad. It wasn't until people started telling me how geordie I was that I decided to do something about it, like pronouncing my 't's properly etc. Now, I just can't stand it when people speak in bad grammar.
Scottish accents. Dont understand a word..sorry.
Reply 91
gooner1592

Do geordies have that much of a problem pronouncing t sounds? I think most accents do really. I'm too tired to really think about explaining the accent in detail

One thing that really riles me about the geordie accent is winduh instead of window :mad: So many more.

One thing you can say about geordie (the dialect, not the accent) is that if you go around parts of Scandanavia and the Netherlands you'll get semi-understand lol There are a number of similar (or even exact) words amongst them.

My accent musn't be too bad. Most at uni don't have a clue where I'm from, including most staff lol
Reply 92
DirtyHarry
Well ah dinny ken dae ah?

Touché. :wink:
Well, I don't really hate any accents. But I love recieved pronunciation (i.e. BBC English). Its such a shame that its so entrenched in issues of class. I'm working-class, but I've virually lost my Mancunian accent now; not that I'm ashamed of my background at all of course.
Reply 94
epitomize
in all fairness, different parts of scotland have different accents. the nation cannot just be tarred with the 'scottish' accent brush. it's a bit like saying the 'english' accent is the same everywhere - i think not.

I don't actually hate Scottish accents, it was in response to someone who says they don't like my accent.
Reply 95
River85
Do geordies have that much of a problem pronouncing t sounds? I think most accents do really. I'm too tired to really think about explaining the accent in detail

One thing that really riles me about the geordie accent is winduh instead of window :mad: So many more.

One thing you can say about geordie (the dialect, not the accent) is that if you go around parts of Scandanavia and the Netherlands you'll get semi-understand lol There are a number of similar (or even exact) words amongst them.

My accent musn't be too bad. Most at uni don't have a clue where I'm from, including most staff lol

:^_^: When I was down in Oxford for my interviews in December, I had people asking where I was from, because I had an odd accent, most likely because I've tried, but failed in changing my accent, so I sound more like a foreigner:p:

The problem most people have in pronouncing their t's from where I'm from is the 't' in "don't" for example; it's entirely omitted and then liased into the next word. Same with the word "Potter". People, myself included, used to say "Harry Po(glottal stop)er"
Reply 96
I do have a Liverpudlian accent, albeit not a very strong one, but I think it does make people judge me or assume I am less educated than I am or incapable of having an intelligent conversation.
Reply 97
NickyP
I do have a Liverpudlian accent, albeit not a very strong one, but I think it does make people judge me or assume I am less educated than I am or incapable of having an intelligent conversation.

Urgh, I hate that mindset that because of somebody's accent, they're not as educated. I personally don't discriminate; there are much better ways of telling whether somebody is educated or not in my opinion, such as the way they tag things to the end of their sentences, such as "innit?" in the midlands, and the lack of basic grammar.

Spoiler

Reply 98
DirtyHarry
Scouse is the worst for sure, absolutely vile.

Definitely!!!!
Reply 99
If someone's going to leave me negative reputation for criticising an accent could they let me know who they are please.

Latest

Trending

Trending