The Student Room Group

help on UV and visible spectra! thanks ;)

i urgently need help on understanding what UV and visible spectra is about cause i dont understand a word from the book and the exam is just around the corner.
ive already tried understanding it from chemguide.co.uk, but didnt help.
does anyone have any notes about this topic?
i do understand the other spectroscopy topics (NMR, mass spectrometer, IR), but really have problems understanding this one, so any help will be appreaciated :smile:

thanks in advance!
btw, im doing edexcel board.
dreamer*girl
i urgently need help on understanding what UV and visible spectra is about cause i dont understand a word from the book and the exam is just around the corner.
ive already tried understanding it from chemguide.co.uk, but didnt help.
does anyone have any notes about this topic?
i do understand the other spectroscopy topics (NMR, mass spectrometer, IR), but really have problems understanding this one, so any help will be appreaciated :smile:

thanks in advance!
btw, im doing edexcel board.

Hmmm, what exactly is it you want to know? I can't imagine you need to know the ins and outs of it for A Level.

We don't use UV-Vis a whole lot on our course, but it can tell us general ideas of reaction progression etc. It just demonstrates where a molecule absorbs from the UV-Vis spectrum. It gives you an absorption value, and this can in turn be used to calculate concentration or extinction co-efficients, using the beer lambert law, A=ecl.
A is absorption (usually a value below 1, but not always and comes from the spectrum), e is epsilon in greek and is the molar extinction coeffecient and varies depending what you are analysing, it shows how strongly a molecule absorbs, c is the concentration of your solution, and l is the path length of your UV cell and is usually 1, for 1cm.
Reply 2
Im having exactly the same problem here! There's so much info about NMR, IR and mass spectra, but absolutely nothing for UV and visible light spectra. We dont need to know how it works though, all they want us to do is be able to interpret the spectra. But there are NO examples for UV light spectra, so im clueless as to how we can interpret them! Any help?

Latest