The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1
I'm not at Leeds but this questions comes up every day on every single uni forum

It's impossible to say how strict Leeds are. It all really depends on how competitive the course is/what demand there is that year. Which course is it you're doing?

Given that Leeds is a popular red brick then I wouldn't count on it. I'm sure you'll do fine though, calm down and have faith good luck :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
I knw one of my friends got in, not having had the grades, but this was two years ago so im not really sure wht they are like now...

im also hoping theyl accept me if i dnt get the grades :smile: lol
Reply 3
SJ_1
I knw one of my friends got in, not having had the grades, but this was two years ago so im not really sure wht they are like now...

im also hoping theyl accept me if i dnt get the grades :smile: lol

I got into Durham without getting the grades (and Durham's a fair bit more competitve in most subjects) but that doesn't really mean anything. I'm just one person and I originally goet rejected (it was only after pleading with them and providing medical evidence). I was quite ill during my A-levels.

Seriously, it all depends on how competitive the course is (and how far you fall short of course). Plus whether you have mitigating circumstances.
Reply 4
yeah thats true i guess, law seems pretty competive at leeds, but hopefully will get the grades and wont have to worry, if not its down to pleading on the phone i guess.
Reply 5
Law at most top unis is competitve. Just be thankful it won't be as competitive as Oxbridge, UCL, Durham and the like. Hope you succeed.
Reply 6
yeah true, thanks :smile::smile:
Reply 7
I've heard leeds almost has a reputation of letting people in with below grades. Maybe that's something to do with it being such a large uni...?
Reply 8
fingers crossed! haha
Reply 9
Stuff like Law and Japanese studies won't let you slip, they over subscribe the course. I got accepted 1 grade low for History but that's because you can just throw in as many people as you like for it, but Law is very very popular. Seriously do not rely on their leniancy.
Reply 10
Elipsis
Stuff like Law and Japanese studies won't let you slip, they over subscribe the course. I got accepted 1 grade low for History but that's because you can just throw in as many people as you like for it, but Law is very very popular. Seriously do not rely on their leniancy.

awww i was really hoping that they would be linient for law lol!! still hoping to get my grades, but jsut incase :s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 11
Im not doing Law, ive applied for Psychology...
Kristenellen
Im not doing Law, ive applied for Psychology...

I'd say for that course they'd be pretty strict, as it's quite competetive.
Reply 13
Does anybody know anybody the degree of leniency that is applied to the Leeds English lang/lit course?

I hear it's quite popular and 2 A's for me is a bit shakey. (I'm quite confident I can get the A in English but I can sort of see myself getting two B's to accompany it. =[)
When I rang the JHC during a crisis of confidence, they didn't seem bothered. She said anything that adds up to 300 UCAS points (for me, within reason, can't fail chemistry or biology) would be OK. Ring your admissions officer if you're feeling a bit scared, they're lovely people and make it all seem possible :smile:
Psychology is incredibly popular at Leeds, by the way.
Reply 16
Friedrich Nietzsche
Psychology is incredibly popular at Leeds, by the way.

Psychology is incredibly popular full stop.
but if i dont get into leeds i may just slit my wrists lol
Reply 17
Also kinda relating to this topic...

If you miss the grades by say 1 grade, would you be able to ask to subscribe to a different course? I.e. English Language and Linguistics (ABB).

Thanks. =)

Latest