The Student Room Group

Just how hard is it to get top in a country for MATH??

My school is the top school in Malaysia and i am one of the top students in my class who scored high in Mathematics.

Just wondering, how hard is it to get top in a country or even top in the world for something (i.e. Math)? i mostly get less than 10 marks off for both of my paper 2 and paper 4 for CIE maths.

Any1 here ever get top in something? If so, pls share your techniques here so we know how to be prepared. Also, just want to know, wot's the maximum marks you we are expected to get wrong to get top in something?

:smile: Thnx - discussions would be appreciate!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's kinda hard to get the top in the world, considering you wont be the only one who gets a certain mark.

No offeenncceee, but if you get 10 marks off the top, you probably wont be the highest in the country. There will be some people who get 100%.

Sorry and that.
Well if you want to come top properly, and not just 'top 5' (which refers to the score, not the position in the country/world) then you'll need 100% raw marks, surely? There'll be people who manage that.

I managed 'top 5', i.e. 360/360 UMS in French GCSE and English Lit GCSE, but you never find out what you got before the scaling to UMS took place.
Reply 3
Like the guy above said, if you want to come top in the world you're probably going to need to get 100% as there will almost definitly be people who do
Reply 4
All rite, if i tried hard enough, maybe i can managed to get top in my country - not hoping for top in the world anyway...
Reply 5
top in the world lmao?
do you think the top math geniuses in the world would even bother taking that paper at your age?
Reply 6
I think OP just means coming top in the world at the maths GCSE exam. GCSE is a poor measure of ability anyway - a fairly ordinary person can get 100% in maths through hard work. The real mathematicians will be concentrating on things like the latter stages of the UKMT maths challenges.
Reply 7
GCSE and hell, even A levels, are more about how well the schools are at making kids do well in exams I think.
Reply 8
Moogen
I think OP just means coming top in the world at the maths GCSE exam. GCSE is a poor measure of ability anyway - a fairly ordinary person can get 100% in maths through hard work. The real mathematicians will be concentrating on things like the latter stages of the UKMT maths challenges.

Although to be honest they will probably also be getting 100% more or less even without concentrating too hard on GCSE maths
Reply 9
well, there will be lots people getting 100%s (I know at least 3 people in my year do. o__o), it's going to be hard.
Reply 10
I know, the only way to get in the world is to get 100% only.

But a top in Malaysia might be possible rite? if my school is the top International School in Malaysia and i am one of the top student in my class...
I got 100% for CIE IGCSE Maths... didn't even recieve a top in the world certificate/top in the country certificate, just a letter saying congratulations for scoring 70/70 on paper 2 and 130/130 on paper 4..
Reply 12
Great! can u share ur techniques on how u prepared urself?

it would be nice for people to learn this also...
Nah you probably wont win anything, i know some people in hong kong alone, in my school who got around 95% and still did not get anything.
thebestusernameever
Nah you probably wont win anything, i know some people in hong kong alone, in my school who got around 95% and still did not get anything.

i'm from Hong Kong :biggrin: and I did my IGCSEs last year.

To the OP, my techniques are very conservative. I started my maths revision 2 months before the exam, everday when I got home from school 1.5 hours of maths solid. And I did 2 hours of maths on each weekend (on top of revision for all my other subjects).
Reply 15
Thnx for ur reply, i too also did loads of past papers for the last few months and i think my marks for the paper 2 was always better than my paper 4.

gonna top mark my skill again before the exam comes......
Reply 16
Dhanoo
My school is the top school in Malaysia and i am one of the top students in my class who scored high in Mathematics.

Just wondering, how hard is it to get top in a country or even top in the world for something (i.e. Math)? i mostly get less than 10 marks off for both of my paper 2 and paper 4 for CIE maths.

Any1 here ever get top in something? If so, pls share your techniques here so we know how to be prepared. Also, just want to know, wot's the maximum marks you we are expected to get wrong to get top in something?

:smile: Thnx - discussions would be appreciate!

If I knew - do you expect me to SHARE :rolleyes:
Reply 17
rnshan
If I knew - do you expect me to SHARE :rolleyes:

Yea sure!

but wot do u mean by "If I knew"? u mean the school??
Reply 18
Lover.Hater

To the OP, my techniques are very conservative. I started my maths revision 2 months before the exam, everday when I got home from school 1.5 hours of maths solid. And I did 2 hours of maths on each weekend (on top of revision for all my other subjects).

After all that - what grade / marks did you get?

oops - you have already answered that.
Lover.Hater

Really what school do you go to?

Latest