The Student Room Group

HELP Issues - socially sensitive research

I have an essay, but im really stuck. I can't do issues!
Ive done part a), but im stuck with b) and c)

a) outline what is meant by socially sensitive research (5 marks)

b) describe socially sensitive issues which arise in two studies or theories (10 marks) AO1

For this part i need two studies or theories which have a number of socially sensitive issues.

c)"socially sensitive research should be avoided"
discuss this statement (15 marks) AO2

Can't anyone give me any ideas? Or have any essay plans or websites or whatever to help me?
Reply 1
Riiiiight. The two studies(for me) would be Milgram (electric shocks, as covered in PYA3) and Goddard (the race/IQ malark). They're pretty easy to expand on and criticise.

As for the AO2, it's about whether socially sensitive research should be carried out, what are the benefits etc. Ive got an essay, but its hand written and my scanner's broke. I think I might be able to find you one, but atm, word's being a right trollop.
Reply 2
Thank you!!
Goddard? We've done like jensen and stuff for iq, never heard of goddard.

isnt milgram more ethical issues with human ppts, rather than socially sensitive? because its not affecting a group in society?
Rouz
Thank you!!
Goddard? We've done like jensen and stuff for iq, never heard of goddard.

isnt milgram more ethical issues with human ppts, rather than socially sensitive? because its not affecting a group in society?

I believe at some point during the early 90s, Milgram was accused of providing justification for the atrocities performed by the Nazis.. So I guess you could describe it as socially sensitive.
Reply 4
Yeh, Milgram was used as a justification for killing a hella load of jews. And I think I may have got it slightly confused.

I'll scan my essay later if its working.

I'll type up the stuff Ive got for Goddard when I get home, it's basically the link between race and IQ. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Thank you so much x
Reply 6
Goddard (1913) - gave intelligence tests to immigrants arriving in New York. Claim that his findings demonstrated that 87% of Russians, 83% of Jews, 80% of Hungarians and 79% of Italians were 'feeble minded'
- Most subjects had a limited understanding of English, the language the test was conducted it. Duhhh.

I've got an essay plan for SSR, but Im not sure how good it is
AO1
- Define SSR
- Why is it a problem? Explain how ethical guidelines don't protect groups (Brown, 1997)
- Problems that arise in SSR
In the formulation of research hypotheses (eg reinforcing stereotypes)
The problem of protecting individuals vs protecting society
The way that research findings are interpreted and applied (AIDs confidentiality
female hormones and depression, race and IQ, Raine (1996) and Humphreys)

A02
- Can we get rid of SSR? (Double Obligation Dilemma)
- Can we solve the problems with cost benefit analyses? - issues with relativistic arguments and absolutist arguments.
- Conclude with Sieber and Stanley's imrpove guidelines as a way to reduce harm caused by SSR.

Personally, I only used the AO1 part of this plan, because the AO2 bit confused me. A lot. Because I didnt really understand how it would be marked as AO2. Merr.
Reply 7
Hiya,
I'm in the same situation as teachers rushed the course and left us to deal with ethical issues i've found some good sites most of which you will probably know about ie:http://www.psychade.net/newmodule5outline.doc, www.psychlotron.org.uk/ and http://www.psypress.com/pip/resources/chapters/PIP_Ethical.pdf, they are really helpful, however I have no idea of how to answer any of the questions, I would be really grateful for any essays, essay structure stuff [Moderator edit: please do not post your email], thank you!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending