The Student Room Group

Can English-speaking people pronounce your name properly?

Scroll to see replies

dani2511
my surname is never pronounced correctly... people either leave it out all together when addressing me, or try their best at pronouncing it (it's a Czech surname). I think i've heard all possible attempts at the pronounciation...

I have a Polish surname so I'm kinda in the same boat as you. The really annoying thing is when people want to know where it comes from and how you got it. I hope that doesn't happen when I go to Germany, that would mean breaking rule number one: "don't mention the war!"
Reply 81
Lol nope. Nobody ever gets it right. I don't really mind though. Once when I was asked for my name, my teacher was like 'Hello Fraiser'.
Now that was annoying.. I mean how can somone get it wrong to that extent? :s-smilie:
well, my name's rather unique in both Malaysia & Singapore. but it's kinda common in the Western countries. so it was more the Asians who kept mispronouncing my name, ironically.
Not me, but my little brother is called Aaron. Everyone thinks it's pronounced "Aron" but it's actually "Airon". :yep:
My Chinese name is pronounced Chit-hei. (in Cantonese). Or Zhe Xi. (in Mandarin). People can't really pronounce the latter. Oh and my surname is quite similar in sound too, just to add to the confusion.

Then when I was young, my parents decided to give me a totally different English name, to save the confusion.

But to be honest, I'm not really bothered if people pronounce it wrong. It's not their fault that my name isn't exactly a common one they'd come across.
Reply 85
Original post by &#34315
My Chinese name is pronounced Chit-hei. (in Cantonese). Or Zhe Xi. (in Mandarin). People can't really pronounce the latter. Oh and my surname is quite similar in sound too, just to add to the confusion.

Then when I was young, my parents decided to give me a totally different English name, to save the confusion.

But to be honest, I'm not really bothered if people pronounce it wrong. It's not their fault that my name isn't exactly a common one they'd come across.

That's pretty much exactly the same as me :eek: Except the name of course :p:
Reply 86
i'm american. they speak engish (or a version of it) in my country and no one can pronouce it. its jo-vana. the a is long as in ahhh. i get jo-vana with the a like ana a lot. or the italian giovanna. and the spelling is worse. i get joanna, jovannah, jovanna, etc....its pronouced just how its spelled, i don't know why its so difficult.
I has a pretty average name...but it's spelt differently ...My name is Kristyn....Also spelt Kristen, Krystin, Kristin, Krysten and iunno how many other ways...I guess they think because it is spelt different it is must be said different.....So I just get called Charlie :biggrin: ( there is a story to that it's not just some random name)
Reply 88
jovana
i'm american. they speak engish (or a version of it) in my country and no one can pronouce it. its jo-vana. the a is long as in ahhh. i get jo-vana with the a like ana a lot. or the italian giovanna. and the spelling is worse. i get joanna, jovannah, jovanna, etc....its pronouced just how its spelled, i don't know why its so difficult.

Good to know I've got a fresh insult anyway. If more people were to read your posts I think "jovana" would become a fitting replacement for the c word.
No
People can't say my last name properly. It's probably one of the oddest Chinese surnames though.
My name is Irish too...
It's Gráinne, which is pronounced Grawn-ya.

The usual attempts I get are: Grainy, Groinya, Grain and even after I've explained the pronounciation I still get Gronya alot...

It translates into English as Grace but I never get anyone to call me that because it's just not my name and it would seem weird for anyone to call me it, plus my mum would have a go at me and be insulted. Lol.
Reply 92
no one can pronounce my name, my parent wrote down the english version of my name , nora, which pisses me off cuase i dont like it when its actually nuurah, but its doesnt annoy me that much, my closest friends no how to say it after much coaching :smile:
Reply 93
nooooooo way.
but I don't really care!!!
Lol sometimes they do. It was hilarious this once one of the teachers completely rearranged my name and then called it out:rolleyes:
Reply 95
Well... most people can say my name (Francisco) but I get a bit annoyed when they say Francesco, which is the Italian translation of it.
Nowadays, I introduce myself as Frank and that's what many of my mates call me.
I'm Finnish too, name being Juhana. I think English-speaking people might be able to pronounce my name correctly if I wrote it to them as "Youhawna".

But in the beginning they always pronounce it wrong.
Reply 97
My name is Roberto. It's a spanish/italian name, and english-speaking people tend to pronounce it "roburro".
Reply 98
thebarmaidsmiles
No, I pretty much agree with all you said (waits to be burnt alive). Just one example: my housemate Babar was from Pakistan and would try and impress on everyone 'Bab-ir' not 'Bah-bah'. After a few awkward repetitions my Irish and Scottish housies and I got it but the English and Americans plain wouldn't. He confided he was really fed up of how nobody here would bother getting his name right, only the people from the 'welsh, irish and scottish parts of england' (which totally ruined our brief bond lol) :p:

Sounds like I'm being really mean but like I said it's from experience, I have such a job getting English people to pronounce my name right, God knows why it's simple. I'm in a Welsh uni and every English person here makes no effort to pronounce any of the places right, yet the Irish/Scottish/european people I've met have. I study langs too and noticed most of the English classmates found the 'j' sound hard to pronounce, or just left it as a 'h'. Drove my (very scary Argentinian) teacher up the wall.

I really wanted to do research into this as part of the linguistics course I was studying (got discontinued grr), cause it's really interesting. My prof at the time explained to me about muscles in the mouth and stuff and how standard English RP speakers, especially those not exposed to any other languages, used one set of muscles whereas people with other (in this case Welsh) accents used different ones, finding pronunciation of foreign words easier. I don't know, it was a really interesting theory anyway.

Sorry if I sound like a complete arse there I didn't mean to. Wasn't trying to say 'oh we're better than you' - really not!!! Just going on experience and interesting quirks I've noticed, and not trying to say everyone's like that. :redface:

Oh I'm poo at expressing myself... :frown:

I live near a place called Castell Coch ('K-awe-ch', using the 'ch' as in 'loch') and it was mentioned on Antiques Roadshow once where this guy had a chair from there and the dealer goes 'Have you ever visited Castle Cock?' :rolleyes:

Wow generalise much? Well, all scottish/welsh/irish people butcher the english language and don't pronounce words correctly ;P
I'll repeat my point again, why should people pronounce something right?

The French call London Londres, don't see anyone having a go at them for that though.

Quick Reply

Latest