The Student Room Group

If Senna had lived...

Would there have been an overhaul of safety measures by the FIA?

Would he have been able to challenge Schumacher in 1994?

What would have happened in the following years? Would he have gone to Ferrari after his 2 year contract with Williams was up? Would Coulthard ever have got a drive? Would Schumacher have ever moved to Ferrari?

Discuss

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't forget the other guy who was killed on the very same corner on the previous day.

I reckon there would not have been the huge change in safety
Reply 2
Probably, but maybe not so much. Prior to his death Senna had been wanting newer safety measures, and with what happened to Barrichello and Ratzenberger that weekend, he'd probably have pushed harder for them afterwards had he not died himself.

Also, without the overhauls, Hakkinen might not have made it beyond '95, which would probably have resulted in even more safety measures. Honestly, there's been so many crashes since 94 that, without the measures, would have caused more deaths, which in turn would have caused new measures.
Cointreau
Don't forget the other guy who was killed on the very same corner on the previous day.

I reckon there would not have been the huge change in safety

They weren't the same corner, but yes, it was clear in 1994 that something had to be done about safety. Ratzenberger and Barrichello had big accidents at Imola resulting in the death of Ratzenberger as you say and then there was Karl Wendliger's crash at Monaco which put him into a coma. It's possible that the changes would not have been so instant and dramatic. A lot of changes were immediately brought in to slow the cars down (eg. the Jabroc plank) and the whole process would probably have been slower. Sadly though, often it does take an accident to open people's eyes to the potential dangers. Nowadays, people are much more safety conscious partly as a result of Senna, but also down to people like Jackie Stewart and indeed every other person who died at the wheel of a racing car.
Reply 4
If my grandmother had balls, she'd be my grandfather.

I don't think there's much point to discuss what would have happened - it was a tragic event that had lots of ramifications. I'd rather like to know exactly what changed because of his death, rather than what would have happened had he not died! :p:
ba_ba1
Would he have been able to challenge Schumacher in 1994?

Yes.

ba_ba1
Would he have gone to Ferrari after his 2 year contract with Williams was up?

I'm not so sure but Williams never lasted as long as they could have done. Had the potential of having a longer stranglehold in the constructers' championship but oh well.
Reply 6
ashy
If my grandmother had balls, she'd be my grandfather.

I don't think there's much point to discuss what would have happened - it was a tragic event that had lots of ramifications. I'd rather like to know exactly what changed because of his death, rather than what would have happened had he not died! :p:

if you don't want to discuss it, then why did you look at this thread? :p:
Reply 7
What did Ratzenberger die from?

Senna was suspension spring going through his helmet wasn't it? Is it true he was already dead when he was put in the ambulance?
Ratzenberger died in a very fast crash during quali at Villeneuve curve, resulting in a skull fracture/broken neck. If you have morbid curiosity, the video is on youtube, though it makes for grim viewing!
Reply 9
In a press conference ten years later Mosley said, "'Roland had been forgotten. So I went to his funeral because everyone went to Senna's. I thought it was important that somebody went to his"

Pretty sad that like he was just forgotten about I'm sure it wasn't like that but.

Edit: Where they mentioned at all this weekend only saw it from about half way through.
Reply 10
Lucy :)

Senna was suspension spring going through his helmet wasn't it? Is it true he was already dead when he was put in the ambulance?

Yeh like Gypsy King said above me, Ratzenberger died from a basal skull fracture. If you watch the video on youtube you can easily tell his neck had snapped. There's also a pciture of him somewhere on the internet taken just after he had been taken out of the car with blood pouring from his nose and mouth. :frown:

Ratzenberger died immediately. The medical personnel tried CPR on him at the site of the crash. Senna was brain dead immediately. He was still breathing however. If you read the article on Wikipedia about his death then you can see both sides of the argument as to whether he died immediately or in the hosptial.
Reply 11
ba_ba1
if you don't want to discuss it, then why did you look at this thread? :p:

Most recent threads in the home page ;yes;

It's a feature that has much control over my TSR (and hence my life's) habits. :frown:
Reply 12
Is this why the HANS device was introduced to stop the head bouncing around to much in the car?

Sorry for asking nooby question ¬_¬
Reply 13
http://www.encounterdownunder.com/story/

The guy on this site is writing an account of the 1994 F1 Season had Senna survived his accident. Sounds quite interesting.
Interesting thing there. Have to remind me of it when it gets done...
Is this why the HANS device was introduced to stop the head bouncing around to much in the car?

Sorry for asking nooby question ¬_¬

More or less, it's to support the drivers head and neck to prevent whiplash and to protect against spinal injuries. It also means the driver can be extracted from the car as a more complete unit without the risk of the head moving about if there is a risk of spinal injuries.

Incidentally HANS = Head and Neck Support (possibly stating the bleeding obvious)

IS that what happened? I had no idea.

I thaught he just had a massive impact and it killed him

But ive actully never read anything about it, because i generally don't like anything to do with death and stuff, makes me feel uneasy.
Reply 17
Untitled258
IS that what happened? I had no idea.

I thaught he just had a massive impact and it killed him

But ive actully never read anything about it, because i generally don't like anything to do with death and stuff, makes me feel uneasy.

From what I read the other day apparently the right tire flew into the cockpit forcing is head backwards causing skull fractures and the jaggered peice of the suspension peirced his helmet and went into his head just above his eye.
Reply 18
From what I read the other day apparently the right tire flew into the cockpit forcing is head backwards causing skull fractures and the jaggered peice of the suspension peirced his helmet and went into his head just above his eye.

The suspension pierced his helmet at its weakest point (around the visor). If it had hit him 2cm higher, he would've probably survived it. Jonathan Palmer (BBC F1 commentator at the time) also said that having looked at Senna's injuries, it was clear that Senna hadn't turned his head away on impact and was still looking straight ahead.
ba_ba1
The suspension pierced his helmet at its weakest point (around the visor). If it had hit him 2cm higher, he would've probably survived it. Jonathan Palmer (BBC F1 commentator at the time) also said that having looked at Senna's injuries, it was clear that Senna hadn't turned his head away on impact and was still looking straight ahead.

True as it is (i've read it also) it's all a bit macabre don't you think? Do we really need to discuss their deaths in all their gory detail?

Quick Reply

Latest