The Student Room Group

Higher English Essay Questions (05/06)

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone with a recent past paper book could type up some or all of the critical essay questions from the 2005 and/or the 2006 papers for the poetry, prose and drama sections (or point me in the direction of them somewhere online!).

I've not been able to get my hands on a recent past paper book so this would greatly help my revision!
Reply 1

Prose
Choose a novel in which an incident reveals a flaw in a central character.
Explain how the incident reveals this flaw and go on to discuss the importance of the flaw in your understanding of the character.

Choose a novel or short story in which the writer's method of narration (such as first person narrative, diary form, journal...) plays a significant part.
Explain briefly the method of narration and then discuss its importance to the appreciation of the text.

Choose a novel in which the story's emotional twists ensure that your interest is held until the end.
Briefly explain how these twists involve you in the story and then discuss how they lead to a deeper appreciation of the text as a whole.

Choose a novel or short story in which the fate of a main character is important in conveying the writer's theme.
Explain what you consider the theme to be and discuss how effectively the fate of the character conveys it.

Poetry

Choose a poem in which a specific setting is strongly evoked.
Show how the poet creates this sense of place and/or time, and then discuss the relative importance of the setting to the poem as a whole.

Choose a poem which you feel is particularly relevant to a teenage audience.
Make clear why you think the poem is so relevant to this age group and show how the poetic techniques used in the poem help achieve this.

Choose a poem in which humour plays a significant part.
Show how the poet makes the poem humorous and discuss how important the humour is to the underlying message of the poem.

Choose a poet whose writing displays great beauty.
By referring to one or more than one poem, show how the writer creates this sense of beauty and go on to discuss whether or not the beauty of the writing is more important to you than the ideas explained in the poem(s).

Drama

Choose a play in which a character is seeking the truth, avoiding the truth or hiding the truth.
Explain to what extent the character achieves this aim and discuss how the dramatist uses the situation to reveal character's role in the play as a whole.

Choose a play in which the mood is mainly dark or pessimistic.
Show how the dramatist creates this mood and discuss how appropriate it is to the main idea(s) of the play.

Choose a play which features one of the following themes: appearance versus reality; good versus evil; dreams versus reality; youth versus age.
Show how the dramatist develops one of these themes and discuss how the exploration of this theme enhances your appreciation of the play as a whole.

Choose a play in which the dramatist creates a sense of mystery at or near the beginning of the play.
Show how the dramatist creates the sense of mystery and then discuss to what extent the resolution of the mystery is important to the play as a whole.

---

I have 2006 aswell but I sprained my wrist today and that's as much as I can face typing up for now, sorry! Hope it helps though!
:]

EDIT: Added the missing poem question and the two missing drama questions!
Reply 2
you can also get the 2007 paper online on the sqa website if that helps
Reply 3
Thank you so much! You didn't have to do it if you've hurt your wrist laura-rad!

Eeeek... I'm glad that I didn't sit my Higher in 2005... those questions are nasty!
Reply 4
Rach L
Thank you so much! You didn't have to do it if you've hurt your wrist laura-rad!

Eeeek... I'm glad that I didn't sit my Higher in 2005... those questions are nasty!

Don't worry about it, I just wanted to help!
The questions in 05 were nasty! I doubt I could have done any of them!
Reply 6
Yeah - there's not very many of them! Only 2 drama and 3 poetry seems so few!
Reply 7
Rach L
Yeah - there's not very many of them! Only 2 drama and 3 poetry seems so few!

There's another two drama questions and another poetry question but my wrist hurt too much to type the rest. Sorry :[
Reply 8

Drama

Choose a play in which the dramatist's use of contrast between two characters is important to your understanding of one of them.
Discuss how your understanding of this character is strengthened by the contrast.

Choose a play in which the conclusion leaves you with mixed emotions but clearly conveys the dramatist's message.
Briefly explain how the mixed emotions are aroused by the conclusion and then discuss how you are given a clear understanding of the message of the play as a whole.

Choose a play which underlines one person's flaw(s) can have a significant impact on other people as well as on himself or herself.
Explain briefly the nature of the flaw(s) and then, in detail, assess how much the character and others are affected.

Choose a play in which an important theme is effectively highlighted by one specific scene or incident.
Explain how the theme is explored in the play as a whole and then show in detail how the chosen scene or incident effectively highlights it.

Prose

Choose a novel or short story in which a central character's failure to understand the reality of his or her situation is an important feature of the text.

Choose a novel, set in a time different from your own, with a theme relevant to the world today.

Choose a novel or short story which you feel has particularly well-chosen title.
Explain why you think the title helps you to appreciate the central idea(s) of the text.

Choose a novel in which a key incident involves rejection or disappointment or loss.

Poetry

Choose a poem in which there is a noticeable change of mood at one or more than one point in the poem.

Choose a poem which deals with a childhood experience.

Choose two poems by the same poet which you consider similar in theme and style.

Choose a poem which explores one of the following subjects: bravery, compassion, tenderness.

---

I got kinda lazy with the extra tidbits after drama but I hope this helps anyone interested in 2006. I have the English past papers from 1999-2007! Eek.
Goodluck with English everyone :]
Reply 9
Aw, thanks for the rep guys :]
Reply 10
Awwwrhh...2005 would've been perfect for me!
Thank you for sharing these Laura-rad :wink:
Does anyone have the full question for the first option of poetry from the 2006 paper?
Original post by Paige Mcilroy
Does anyone have the full question for the first option of poetry from the 2006 paper?

Old thread...

Choose a poem in which there is a noticeable change of mood at one or more points in the poem
Show how the poet conveys the change of mood and discuss the importance of the change to the central idea of the poem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
Old thread...

Choose a poem in which there is a noticeable change of mood at one or more points in the poem
Show how the poet conveys the change of mood and discuss the importance of the change to the central idea of the poem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending