The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Course flexibility at Edinburgh?

Hi all!

Can anyone give me some advice/information?

I've had a few problems with course choices whilst applying, see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=577333 for more details...

I was just wondering how flexible the degree is at Edinburgh? Because I hear that from the 3 subjects you study in your first year, you can choose any combination of them, even if you didn't originally apply for them... Is this true? How exactly does it work?

Any help would be much appreciated! :smile:
The Sheep: what you've been told in the previous thread is pretty much accurate. You'll be able to ditch German once you're there (although you'll have to do it at least for a bit of first year). Personally, I would do German for a year and see how you feel. You're probably good enough to manage a 40% pass and that's all that matters in first year. Then you could keep it up if you enjoyed it or drop it. But if it turns out to be terrible in the first month or so, you should be able to go to your DoS and beg them to let you move asap.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Well you are accepted to a specific subject but in reality you are enrolled into the college (humanities). And so in your first year you can pick any combination from within humanities so long as you have 2 related subjects (from within the same school, or a directly linked subject). In your second year you should continue with two of these and are expected to pick up a new subject to take at first year level. Your honours course is then formed out of the 2 subjects you have taken through second year level - either a single or joint honours providing you have achieved 50% or higher in your second year of the subjects you want to take.
But do remember that many courses are heavily oversubscribed and there are no guarantees of getting onto another course.
Reply 4
Hmm ok... I'm slightly confused... :s-smilie:

So I should be able to take any 3 subjects from the same college, as long as they're related in some way and I'm guessing I'd have to take what I originally applied for... But to change courses/pick the outside subject I want is unlikely due to oversubscription? So I may be stuck with the degree I applied with as there is no room to swap? How likely is it that if I begged to be moved, I'd actually be moved? Or would I just be told to get on with it? :s-smilie:

Thanks for all the advice so far, but can anyone clarify that for me? :smile: Many thanks!
That's really not what's been said at all.

For most degrees you are required to take three subjects, the one or two that you applied for originally and another two, or one, as required. There's no necessary requirement that they be related to your degree subject, merely that the combination is offered by the university and is not overly difficult due to scheduling issues and the like. Except in extraordinary circumstances, you will be expected to at least begin the subject you applied for, though the potential to drop it later exists. Changing courses and picking outside subjects is not unlikely, in fact the latter is required, but priority is always given to those who applied for that subject as their degree, followed by those within a particular School before finally being opened up to the college. In this way, it may not be possible to enrol on a specific course due to its oversubscription. Any subject can be dropped up until the end of second year, but transfers to other subjects (carrying over credits already earned) is dependant on the above proviso.

That should be clear enough now.

Latest

Trending

Trending