The Student Room Group

do people who reapply actually get offers?

Just out of curiousity. They have been quite a few threads talking about taking a gap year and then reapplying, or applying to the other one (cambridge to oxford, oxford to cambridge), or just a different college.

Just wondering if this works? It doesn't really make sense, as if you're not good enough (that sounds a little harsh, but you know what I mean) the first time, why should there be any significant difference the second time? Unless you take the year out to do something related, and get some sort of amazing internship, it seems a little strange.

For some other less competitive unis, maybe it could work, but for oxford and cambridge, I've heard the selection is so precise, surely it would be unlikely they would miss something that significant first time over?

Scroll to see replies

Well, some do and some don't...

And no, a fair few people fail at both Oxford and Cambridge, so clearly their selection process isn't amazing.
I hope so -- because I'm doing that!

And I take your point. But there is a significant difference for me: during my gap year I'm doing 3 additional A-Levels (as it was my results which let me down) and am on target to get AAA.
Reply 3
Yes, it's possible, but I would say it's not advisable unless you're sure that you are a different candidate from last time.
Reply 4
I know of people who have reapplied and got in - at the end of the day, Oxford and Cambridge are the same as any other uni in the sense that a candidate who's already got the grades is more appealing than one who still has exams to take and might not acheive the grades. Once you've actually acheived their required grades, at least you haven't got to reassure them you're not going to miss your grades. It's easier for them to work out their quotas if they make offers to students who've already got grades and can therefore accept their offer immediately. However, getting the grades isn't enough - it just might help if you were a bit borderline before. If you really weren't their kind of person, you still won't be. Then again, spending a gap year broadening your interests and developing your character and personality might help, too.
Reply 5
a guy from my school got rejected from 6/6 unis and reapplied and is now doing PPE at Oxford
Reply 6
It can also depend on the applications they have that year - obviously every year they get tons of incredible applications, but not every year is the same, sometimes you could be up against competition for the places that is just that little bit stronger. I suppose it depends how desperate you are to go there, whether or not you want to give reapplying a go.
Reply 7
If you have a decent feedback and if it is something you feel you can work on & improve, I am sure reapplying makes sense.
surely you have a higher chance just for the reason you already have the AAA at a level else you wouldnt be applying to oxbridge post A level

im sure thought however some people still fail
Reply 9
Hmm, the statistical chances of getting an offer are slightly higher for reapplicants, I believe, but that doesn't change anything about the fact that on average there's still a 70% chance or thereabouts of being rejected again. I suppose that for obvious reasons, successful reapplicants are more visible in the context of a forum like this one, but nevertheless, they're a minority. Most people who reapply will in fact be rejected a second time.

Edit: added a comma.
Reply 10
Reapplied twice...
Reply 11
I know of a few people in my college now who are reappliers. Some of them changed subject, which is a fairly substantial change in their application. Unless you have decided that you've applied to the wrong subject or you really couldn't bear to go to any of the universities you have offers for, I wouldn't advise it personally. Cambridge and Oxford have their up-sides, yes, but they're not worth putting your life on hold for a year for.
Statistically, reapplicants have a margnially better chance of getting in. Something like 30% chance for reapplication versus a 25% chance for first timers.

I'm reapplying, so I hope to hell it works in my favour.
yeap. they do.

well my friend did. he applied last year, didnt get it.

reapplied this year, and got in.
Poops
Reapplied twice...

As in, you have taken two gap years JUST to go to Oxbridge?! :eek:
afua12
It doesn't really make sense, as if you're not good enough (that sounds a little harsh, but you know what I mean) the first time, why should there be any significant difference the second time? Unless you take the year out to do something related, and get some sort of amazing internship, it seems a little strange.

The thing is, although there are some applicants who are little uber-geniuses and are always going to get in, and there are some who are really not up to it, I would imagine the majority make up a big pack in the middle who are pretty difficult to differentiate between. Probably all the people in the middle would be capable of getting a 2i at Oxbridge but there's only room for some of them. It's not like there are people who are good enough and people who aren't and that's how offers are decided.
Reply 16
:wavey:

I did!

I don't even know what I did better this time around - I felt the interviews had gone better, but I certainly wasn't a "wholly different person" or anything else. Perhaps the extra year had given me a bit of confidence and maturity? I had studied at Yale in the meantime, so I suppose the CV boost probably helped, but apart from that, I'd guess blind luck and chance got me rejected and then got me in.
Reply 17
Speedbird2008
As in, you have taken two gap years JUST to go to Oxbridge?! :eek:

Nope
Well for INSEAD, they normally dont encourage rejected candidates to reapply.

But saying that, my friend's brother got rejected by Oxford first time round, took a gap year and got in the 2nd time. :smile:
Poops
Nope

Well, what do you mean then? You didn't take two gap years? Or you did so, but your motivation was not simply to get into Cambridge?

Latest

Trending

Trending