The Student Room Group
Reply 1
sparkle86
Hi.

I was just wondering if anybody here has worked in matalan or works in matalan at the moment or even knows of anyone who works in matalan?

I'm applying for a job there and would like to know what the training scheme involves exactly.

Karen xxx

I knew someone who worked there and apparently they work you to the bone, she couldn't wait to leave.
Reply 2
sparkle86
Hi.

I was just wondering if anybody here has worked in matalan or works in matalan at the moment or even knows of anyone who works in matalan?

I'm applying for a job there and would like to know what the training scheme involves exactly.

Karen xxx

rofl. I'm sorry, I couldn't help but laugh. Their so called 'training' involved a couple of hours on the till with a relatively experienced operator and a 15 minute walk around the store with a demonstration on how to fold a jumper given by another relatively experienced 'team member'. They have recently had new tills, or rather till software rolled out across the company, and I must admit they did dedicate a significant amount of time to training everyone on those.

As a company they don't seem to have a clue about what makes workers tick. Motivation to actually do any work is nonexistant; I can only remember a time that I was genuinely thanked for doing some work, and that was over two years of working there. Needless to say, I wasn't a slacker, the people there just need to learn to appreciate the student, part-time workers. As a result, the labour turnover rate is absurdly high, and it was not uncommon for new workers to last less than a week, or even a couple of shifts. On the pay side of things; the pay is about as bad as it gets for 18 year olds, as I left it was minimum wage plus a massive 2% rise last April. Although I am sure minimum wage has recently gone up, or will do very shortly so maybe they'll review their wages (don't count on getting more than the new minimum wage though).

However, it is very easy to moan. I had some great times there largely because the other people I was working with were a great bunch of people, and even though there is a lot of unnecessary politics as I am sure there are at any work place, I found everyone to be very pleasant and friendly with only a few exceptions.

As far as working you hard goes, that will differ depending on where you are I guess. As will a lot of things, so don't expect that my experiences will be any like yours.

It'll be what you make of it :wink:

All the best :smile:
Reply 3
thanx.

so where i read u have to complete something within 12 weeks of being there..they say you can work in teams to learn how to deal with customers and learn the tills etc...is it done in store or are you taken somewhere for it to be done?

karen x
Reply 4
probably in-store. i see no reason why theyd need to do it elsewhere.
Reply 5
sparkle86
thanx.

so where i read u have to complete something within 12 weeks of being there..they say you can work in teams to learn how to deal with customers and learn the tills etc...is it done in store or are you taken somewhere for it to be done?

karen x
12 weeks is the time you spend on a temporary contract where they pay you weekly and you don't get any fringe benefits such as employee discount. After that you get put on a permanent contract and you get paid monthly.

Another company wide policy that really sucks is how they give new employyes their contratcs. Insist that you get at least more than a four hour contract because otherwsie when you have holiday leave you only get paid for your number of contract hours. Another cost cutting method at the expense of the employees :wink:

wu be eel
probably in-store. i see no reason why theyd need to do it elsewhere.
Yes, that's right. All done in store except for the thing that you need to complete within 12 weeks of being there, which is a booklet full of questions about Helath & Saftey, Customer Service etc.. which should take about 6+ hours and you are expected to spend your own time doing - i.e. at home. A very cheap way of attempting to train employees without paying for it. Mind you at the end, you do get a lovely certificate. Although mine never came my way for some reason.

All the best :smile:

Let me know how you find it, okay? Cheers.
Reply 6
yea thanx.

im gonna fill in the application form tonight and take it in 2moro.

knowing my luck, the matalan i wanna work in will make me go away to college for my courses i bet. :frown:

karen x
My boyfriend works in matalan, and in my opinion i dont think they treat him well atall. Everything he has told me bad has been said by the person above, so it must run through the whole company, pay is just over 4 quid per hour until ur 19, they give him about 2 days notice to when hes working sometimes, and fone him saying where are you when he wasnt supposed to be in. They dont give sick pay, and the do the whole 4 hour contract thing to con u out of holiday pay. Personally i wish hed find another job where they treat him better, but things seem to have settled down now, and havent been ok (apart from not bein able to go out cus hes at work till 8 on saturday :frown: ) in my opinion i wouldnt work there after working for pc world, cus theyre fine with holiday time, sick pay n everything. I get 4.85phour now im 18, and theyre very understanding if i have an exam etc. The way students should be treated........
Reply 8
sparkle86
thanx.

karen x

Hi,

I currently work in Matalan and what can i say. I got plenty training, ne more than 2 hours training on the tills you would be bored rigid! And during the first thirteen weeks of employment you have to do a STAR training programme which is also part of the management training scheme. So far working for matalan has been pleasant even more so that we have a new manager that doesn't take ne crap from the slackers!

P.S All my training was done instore! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending