The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Boiler Issues = Cranky Student

Imagine if you will, a lorry parked on top of your house with the engine running.

For two weeks now, the boiler (or something) above our flat on the top floor of house 9 has been rumbling, shaking the ceiling, shaking the cupboards, making water drip through two of the rooms ceilings (luckily my clothes soaked most of the boiling water up) and keeping everyone up with it's ridiculously loud thudding.

Is this just us? I've reported it, I've pleaded with people, I've begged, and I've just sent another email asking for help. "KARENNNNN!" I called, but to no avail.

I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread was, but it's the second night I've had where I can't sleep because it sounds like an elephant's on a trampoline in the loft space.

Anybody else had similar problems? Or ever tried to report an issue that's just been slightly ignored for quite a while?
Reply 1
House 9? Which college is that? Main campus or SW?
I ask because heating on SW is always causing problems, mainly noisy radiators and rattling pipes. It drives you mad.
I found that regular (and I mean regular) complaints to anybody who will listen, but mainly the Res Officer, eventually gets something done. A couple of weeks is not long in their eyes, that's because they are not living with the racket.
Now whether or not the problem is actually fixed when the engineers have been - well, that is a different question!
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
I truly love your powers of description! and does anyone else find it ironic that it is the SW heating that causes issues, when the other buildings are older!
Reply 3
ive never had an issue with heating on SW.
But play up the quiet term part and exams soon,and lack of sleep, ruining degree.
That may make them listen a bit quicker :smile:
Which college and which part of campus is it?
Reply 4
I could actually murder Cartmel radiators and pipes. Houses 53 and 54 had problems the other week with really noisy pipes. So they "reduced the pressure" between 10pm and 10am. Basically we had no hot water and a cup of cold water through the night and early morning.
Do we get a rent reduction? Do we balls. They'll probably blame it on us and make us pay even more. HUMPH I SAY!!
I'm Grizedale, but in a Graduate house on SW campus. (It's been a good year.)

Apparently SOMEONE turned up the water temperature so it got to boiling point, and that's the point where it came through my ceiling. Since then it's always been a bit iffy, and been louder and louder every night.

I missed my seminar this morning because I got such little sleep! Pah.

I'm definitely getting my deposit back in full, or they're going to get attacked by a small ginger.
Reply 6
One of my mates who lives in Grad was moaning about this to me.

You are not Rob's friend Cal from badminton by any chance are you :p: ?
Martyn1989
One of my mates who lives in Grad was moaning about this to me.

You are not Rob's friend Cal from badminton by any chance are you :p: ?

I am! You're not scouse Martyn are you?
Reply 8
Tyrannosaurus Cal
I am! You're not scouse Martyn are you?

Yeah, what a small world :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending