The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I did question 3 on the key scene and the poetry comparison. There were not the questions I wanted.
Am I the only one who liked the essay questions? There were at least 5 I could have done, I got really lucky with my texts
I did "A streetcar named desire" with Q 4.
And "Daddy" with Q 12.
I thought the Close Reading was actually quite easy-if not boring.
But then again, it would have been better if i actually got 1hr 30mins to do it in....
Reply 43
did anyone do " the crucible " for question 1? heroic but vulnerable
and question 5 for "the cone gatherers" - theme of cruelty of human nature.?

i need a B :frown: i paniced! majorly! :frown:
I had a horrible time doing it, am pretty ill so i'm off to the doctors to get a note begging for mercy if i've done **** XD

Think though everyone, it's over!!! No more English (unless your insane :p:)
Reply 45
Ahh Higher english tomorrow

I really really want to pass because i detest english and i couldnt put up with another year of the same teacher :angry:

I failed the prelim pretty bad-37% but i got myself a tutor since then, so im hoping to scrape a C.

Is anybody else learning any of the following texts: The crucible, Ambulances, Revelation or A Hanging. They are the texts i am learning.

Good Luck everyone
Reply 46
teacakes
did anyone do " the crucible " for question 1? heroic but vulnerable
and question 5 for "the cone gatherers" - theme of cruelty of human nature.?

i need a B :frown: i paniced! majorly! :frown:

I have done that question before on heroic yet vulnerable :smile:
I want a B. My texts are Lord Of the Flies, My Last Duchess,Journey of the Magi and A Man for all Seasons.
Reply 48
ChocolateEyes
13.5% of people got an A (64%)
22% of people got a B (54%)
29.3% of people got a C (46%)
11.6% of people got a D (42%)

WHAT!

1/8 people get an A!? I thought it would be nearer 1/3
Klobbster
WHAT!

1/8 people get an A!? I thought it would be nearer 1/3

It was closer to 1 in 5 last year

Why do people find English SOOO hard. I think its the CR that lets most people down
Reply 50
garlicbreadman
It was closer to 1 in 5 last year

Why do people find English SOOO hard. I think its the CR that lets most people down

I thought it would be the essays...:confused:
Reply 51
Aaaahhh, I've forgotten how to do link questions. Do you have to quote the part of the sebtence that links back and then quote from the previous paragraph(what it links back to) an then quote the part of the senetence that link forwards and quote from later in the paragraph?
CT_Scan
Aaaahhh, I've forgotten how to do link questions. Do you have to quote the part of the sebtence that links back and then quote from the previous paragraph(what it links back to) an then quote the part of the senetence that link forwards and quote from later in the paragraph?

x phrase links back to the subject of whatever the subject is, y phrase links forward to whatever the subject is.
Reply 53
Livesindreams
x phrase links back to the subject of whatever the subject is, y phrase links forward to whatever the subject is.

Right, so you don't have to quote what it links back/forward to just state it...?
Reply 54
In the close reading, can they mark you down for 'waffling'? Say, it's a 2 mark analysis question on tone or something...could I write absolutely loads with only half of it being relevant and still get 2 marks? (Since I can write fairly fast...)
CT_Scan
Right, so you don't have to quote what it links back/forward to just state it...?

Yup just quote the phrase that links back/forward and state what it is linking back/forward to.

So it would be;
The phrase "blah blah blah" links back to the topic of why the tigers are dangerous and the phrase "boom boom boom" links forward to the topic of how we can control the amount of attacks made by tigers each year.

Hopefully that made some sense of it :smile:
JoshCurran
In the close reading, can they mark you down for 'waffling'? Say, it's a 2 mark analysis question on tone or something...could I write absolutely loads with only half of it being relevant and still get 2 marks? (Since I can write fairly fast...)

If the right answer is there then you'll get the mark(s) with 'waffling' it just harder for the marker to find the mark(s) that you've got.
Reply 57
CT_Scan

Yeah, just to confirm what that other person said...
You quote the words that link back to a particular point which you put into your own words. Then quote the words that link forward to a particular point and put it into your own words.
Reply 58
JoshCurran

There's the human element. Do not annoy the marker with useless information, they get paid per paper and you obviously want to make their job as simple as possible. Officially, there's no problem with it.
Reply 59
im absolutely terrified :s-smilie: especially considering i only 2 quotes for each text :smile:
im studying "education for leisure" "a hanging" "the picture of dorian gray" "mid term break" and "romeo and juliet" if im completely stuck...any advice?? :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending