The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

KnightRider
Yeah I'm sure there are more than one meanings for it :smile:

I'd better hope so!
(Else my teacher lost my whole class a couple of markss....)
Now onto Prose and Background....fun!
Reply 101
does anyone here do latin in a state school like me? i seem to be in the minority everywhere i turn

all of u doing it in private school have been doing it for years in lessons

i have had to do it after school and lunchtime for only two years
superhat2
does anyone here do latin in a state school like me? i seem to be in the minority everywhere i turn

We get an hour and a half a week for two years.
Probably about the same time.
(And I don't go to a private school :smile: )
laura you've done it 2 and a half hours a week for 2 years
and 1 hour a week for 2 year before that
surely?
Meliae
I went a little overboard with quoting the Latin... I did it a least once and usually several times in every single question, even the little 1 markers. That's probably why I was pushed for time at the end... Not sure I wrote enough on one of the 5 mark questions. The rest of it was fine though. I was doing section B.

lol yeah same: i was ever so proud that i knew how all the latin fit all the english that whenever i mentioned anything in the text i had to put the latin for it in brackets
Which exam board was this please chaps?
Reply 106
I did section B and found it easy. As long as you learn it its fine tbh. I'm so happy its over. Never have to study a latin poem again. Now for prose and roman life.. Ahhh thats going to be badddd
fleur de lis
Which exam board was this please chaps?

OCR.
AlexHine
I did section B and found it easy. As long as you learn it its fine tbh. I'm so happy its over. Never have to study a latin poem again. Now for prose and roman life.. Ahhh thats going to be badddd

i did section B as well. pretty easy. i'm also so pleased i never have to look at B+P ever again! i had a £5 bet with my teacher on it, i bet that it wouldn't come up. i knew it would, i just really didn't want it to.

i just have prose left, thank god i did courseworkk so i don't have to do roman life!
Reply 109
anyarian
i did section B as well. pretty easy. i'm also so pleased i never have to look at B+P ever again! i had a £5 bet with my teacher on it, i bet that it wouldn't come up. i knew it would, i just really didn't want it to.

i just have prose left, thank god i did courseworkk so i don't have to do roman life!

Wow, what does the coursework consist of? We never got the option of that!!! We did the higher translation but all the bad ones (like me!!!) got to change to do Roman life which I'm kinda regretting now because there's so much to learn.But oh well. Just want tuesday to be over!
KnightRider
OCR.

Thank you - carry on :smile:
Reply 111
superhat2

I go to a grammar school. I've been doing Latin since september for only 1 lunchtime a week.
Reply 112
Meliae
I go to a grammar school. I've been doing Latin since september for only 1 lunchtime a week.

I only have an hour a week with a friend and a tutor, since i am doing it entirely outside school. It is a lot of work to do it in an hour a week but tbh pretty easy if you stay on top of it.

And the exam was pretty easy. Alott better than the momentum i think, which i found tricky in places.
Reply 113
candyflossangels
Where did you find it? I'm thinking if I put it into a translator, I can work out how much I got wrong :P

It's a bit after the fact now, but my Latin teacher showed me it. I'm glad Verse Lit was fairly simple, especially after paper 1!
Aleexx04
Wow, what does the coursework consist of? We never got the option of that!!! We did the higher translation but all the bad ones (like me!!!) got to change to do Roman life which I'm kinda regretting now because there's so much to learn.But oh well. Just want tuesday to be over!

coursework is a 2000 word essay on pretty much any section of roman life that you want. it's takes a long time to do, as something like 10/20 marks are for good evaluation of the 8 primary sources you have to use.
it's an unfairly huge amount of work for a teacher to do, as they have to get all different books for everyone's coursework in the class (bearing in mind each person could be doing a totally different topic and would therefore need different primary sources to evaluate). also you need 4+ drafts to get it a-a* standard, it's a lot of work for teachers, which is probably why you weren't given the option. especially new teachers wouldn't give you the option, as this was the last year you could do latin coursework- they'd go to all that trouble for one class, and nopt be able to use stuff they'd found for the next yeargroup.

Latest