The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
don't do it.
Law isn't rated hugely well, but neither is RS. Neither is a 'mickey mouse subject', but neither is hugely well respected. Do whichever you prefer.
I would have said RS was rated slightly better than Law. But do whichever you enjoy, if you're that worried about the rep you can always drop it after AS. Personally I thought RS was quite intellectual, the theology parts especially, but there you go. You can still get offers from Russell Group unis with RS A-level though, definitely (I did)
azuradragonfly
How well is Religious studies rated?

My other options are English literature, History & Politics.

It's a toss up between this and Law. Which isn't rated well by unis apparently.

Thanks to anyone who replies :smile:

Oh and if you're doing exams, best of luck! :smile:

Do what you enjoy.

I have never heard of unis that don't like Law A-level? why?
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies. Am hoping to maybe do A2 general studies and As critical thinking, maybe do a qualification in Spanish, hopefully CGSE! :smile:
Reply 6
Religious Studies is as well thought of as English, History or Maths. People blindly apply the rule of thumb that states "anything ending in 'studies' is a mickey mouse subject". However, R.S. is actually one of the "studies"es that is well thought of. More so than Politics, actually.
Reply 7
generalebriety
Law isn't rated hugely well, but neither is RS. Neither is a 'mickey mouse subject', but neither is hugely well respected. Do whichever you prefer.

Yes it is, depending on what religious studies it is. There are numeous kinds. If its philosophy or Theology it should be as (or almost) as well respected as Englist Lit, History, Maths etc.

What kind of RS is it?
Reply 8
Nanrod
Religious Studies is as well thought of as English, History or Maths. People blindly apply the rule of thumb that states "anything ending in 'studies' is a mickey mouse subject". However, R.S. is actually one of the "studies"es that is well thought of. More so than Politics, actually.

Yes RS is a respected subject - esp. the philosophy / ethics modules.

Definitely up there with economics / other humanities
jgupta
Yes RS is a respected subject - esp. the philosophy / ethics modules.

Definitely up there with economics / other humanities

What? No it's not.
Reply 10
azuradragonfly
Thanks for the replies. Am hoping to maybe do A2 general studies and As critical thinking, maybe do a qualification in Spanish, hopefully CGSE! :smile:

So what is the RS - do you know? As I said Theology or philosophy/ethics IS respected.

But please be cautious with critical thinking and general studies. Many unis don't accept them. That doesn't mean to say that they aren't worth doing as fourth or fifth subjects though.
I don't care whether it's respected or not, it's brilliant.
River85
Yes it is, depending on what religious studies it is. There are numeous kinds. If its philosophy or Theology it should be as (or almost) as well respected as Englist Lit, History, Maths etc.

What kind of RS is it?

According to my college website they folllow the AQA course BUT we've just had all our subject leaflets changed for the new courses (which are generally 2 unit courses and the one of the site says there are 3 units which is why I think it might be out of date). I can check in college tomorrow because the new leafets are printed and in reception (got some the other day) but I don't know if the website has been done yet. Don't know if any of that ramble helps.
River85
So what is the RS - do you know? As I said Theology or philosophy/ethics IS respected.

But please be cautious with critical thinking and general studies. Many unis don't accept them. That doesn't mean to say that they aren't worth doing as fourth or fifth subjects though.

I'm just doing them as fillers but they won't get much of my time. I just want loads to put on my application form, even if they aren't proper subjects. At least I'll have put the effort in. But in no way do I equate to proper classical academic subjects. :smile:
Reply 14
generalebriety
What? No it's not.

Depending on the kind of RS then it can be. Believe me. I had no problems getting into top unis with my combination (Theology, English Lit, Geography). I know many at Durham across some great departments (especially law and english) who took philosophy/RS at A-level

I'll repeat, if it's this general RS course I would advise caution. IF it is called RS: Christian Theology/Philosophy + Ethics etc then it's as well respected as most humanities and arts.

Same with a Theology and philosophy degree.

Although I do admit that RS A-level isn't as thorough as it could be. At least my syllabus wasn't six years ago.
I'm not sure but I believe that Theology is perhas better 'rated' than R.S. can't you take that instead?
Also, perhaps Philosophy?
Reply 16
I do AQA R.S, it's pretty good depending on what units your school pick. R.S is one of those subjects that alot of people are ignorant towards; 'oh religion blah blah' but the ethics and philosophy side of it is quite interesting, actually. I also like the way in the exam you get to choose a question, not that it has anything to do with what you study. :P
River85
Depending on the kind of RS then it can be. Believe me. I had no problems getting into top unis with my combination (Theology, English Lit, Geography). I know many at Durham across some great departments (especially law and english) who took philosophy/RS at A-level

I'll repeat, if it's this general RS course I would advise caution. IF it is called RS: Christian Theology/Philosophy + Ethics etc then it's as well respected as most humanities and arts.

Same with a Theology and philosophy degree.

Although I do admit that RS A-level isn't as thorough as it could be. At least my syllabus wasn't six years ago.

Theology isn't RS.
Reply 18
generalebriety
What? No it's not.

Find me some evidence that it isn't - it isn't on any black lists, its on cam's 'Generally acceptable' list along with economics, history etc...
Reply 19
I take both RS and philosophy and I will continue with philosophy - not RS. I chose this because Philosophy is more essay-based ( you employ more skills in your writing)I would say that RS is a little bit more respected than law, but it depends on what you want to do later on. If you want to do law at uni then take law! However RS may be better if you want to do an arts subject at uni :smile:

Latest