The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would strongly suggest that you do a science degree.

Why? Because medicine is one of those professions/degrees for which you have to know you want to do. Reading it anywhere good is extremely competitive, and you'll have to have adequate work experience, background knowledge etc. You will have to prove that you're totally committed to the vocation, and have the mental capacity to store a vast amount of information.
Reply 41
P_Ben21
I have a friend who's doing a biochemistry degree at Sussex because he couldnt get the grades for medicine, yet he knew everything about A level chemistry and biology, he got a B and a C. This doesn't mean he should just give up because he's not "intelligent" enough.

Either you have just contridicted yourself or his exam technique let him down...
Reply 42
His exam technique let him down, woops forgot to add.
okay so in terms of "guaranteeing" a medical job, what sort of things should be done:

is it in terms on the uni you go to? if so, what are the better uni's
what is the studying like?
is it enjoyable? or more stressful than anything else?
Reply 44
if you want to become a doctor, do a medicine degree

if you want to go into finance dont

you have to be totally commited to medicine to get in in the first place so if admissons tutors sense that you aren't commited to it you will be rejected when you could have applied to study something else and gotten into uni
Reply 45
Nope, nothing to do with which uni you go to. GMC universal registration...blah....blinded application process....etc etc etc

The studying is attempting to stuff an enormous amount of relatively simple academic knowledge into your head and making it stick whilst learning a staggeringly complex vocation (Its the second bit that's hard). If you happen to enjoy to work of seeing patients, working out what's wrong with them and treating it then medicine is your job. Otherwise, its a bit **** really. I know that sounds really stupidly simple but its amazing how many people skip over all this and overcomplicate the situation.
Reply 46
FTC199, your sig made me laugh as i did the same. What did you criticise? :biggrin:

Latest