The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Maths, Physics, History and Economics is an amazing combination.
TommehR
Those subjects are just fine. Don't listen to anybody who says otherwise. I get absolutely sick of people coming on here and saying that Arts are better or Sciences are better. As long as you're doing traditional and academic subjects, it simply does not matter what exact subjects you're doing.

Can we put this in big letters somewhere, so everyone has to read it?
Reply 22
2 5 +
Can we put this in big letters somewhere, so everyone has to read it?
If I was a moderator it would have been done long ago. Maybe have a tick box that you have to click every time you post, confirming that you're not going to ask a question about whether Maths, English and History are suitable A-levels for applying for Law, and if you lie you get banned for life. :p:

But that's probably why I won't ever be made a moderator. :wink:
Reply 23
I took Biology, Business Studies, Chemistry and Maths for AS, and i think i will drop chem or maths, do you think that is ok?
Also, i got 5As and 5Bs for GCSE?

Thanks
Hello everyone. I am a year 11 student at Highbury Grove School. I am going to take my GCSE’s very soon. I want to become a lawyer. I have chosen to study the following A levels to study:

Economics
English literature and language
Government and politics
History

Are these good choices to become a lawyer, if not please help me chose good ones. Should I choose A level law instead of Government and politic. Please help I’m so confused.:eek3:

Thanks!!!!:smile:
Moahhmod Ali
Hello everyone. I am a year 11 student at Highbury Grove School. I am going to take my GCSE’s very soon. I want to become a lawyer. I have chosen to study the following A levels to study:

Economics
English literature and language
Government and politics
History

Are these good choices to become a lawyer, if not please help me chose good ones. Should I choose A level law instead of Government and politic. Please help I’m so confused.:eek3:

Thanks!!!!:smile:

Those A levels are completely fine. Taking A level law will neither benefit you neither will it hinder you. I would personally recommend taking it as it will give you a clearer understanding of the subject and may confirm you desire to study law or it might make you think that law is not for you.
yes i agree those subjects are fine in did history, law, religous stuides and psy and got five offers to study law so i think you should study what you want and enjoy really so long as you do well in them it doesnt matter.
Reply 27
I am from scotland so i am sitting highers not A levels but I thinking of doing law and university and just now I'm sitting
- maths
- english
- music
- chemistry
- computing
Then if i get good grades - next year I am going to do
- advanced maths
- advanced english
- spanish
- modern studies
I looked into it before picking my subjects for next year and it seems to me that social sciences, economics, languages and most importantly english are the best subjects to take.
And in my opinion, maths and english, are good qualifications to have for whatever you want to do

Hope I've helped x Good luck xx
Reply 28
Hi everyone
I’m a year 10 student and want to become a lawyer.
I am considering studying chemistry, maths, English literature, political and legl studies and drama.
Are there any other subjects you suggest I study?
Tarlee
Hi everyone
I’m a year 10 student and want to become a lawyer.
I am considering studying chemistry, maths, English literature, political and legl studies and drama.
Are there any other subjects you suggest I study?

You have got a lot of time to think about your choices from now because there's a whole year ahead of you before you make any kind of decision.
Any set of A levels are fine, though everyone would advise you to pick subjects that a] you feel comfortable with and b] you feel will give you the skills necessary for a Law degree.

I think they say that a student with A level Maths on average earns 10% more than those who don't - it sounds like a shoddy statistic (and I have no source to back it up) but even so I think that's enough motivation to take it anyway - and it's a much better challenge than GCSE!

English Literature is one of the best essay-based subjects available. You just need to make sure you understand everything and know how to answer exam questions - many people in my class find it difficult, although they only had C's or below at GCSE level. It's well respected and universities like it quite a bit from what I hear.

I wouldn't dare take Chemistry myself because it looks like a crazy amount of stuff to learn. If you're naturally good at science-type subjects, it should be easier - but no walk in the park. It's one of the hardest out there and all I can say is be careful - but if you know what you're doing then good luck to you!

With those three, I wouldn't advise Drama (or Performing Arts as its known at A level) because it's so time consuming and it may be a significant distraction from everything else you do. It's very hard to get a good grade in because its so subjective (according to people I know, but look around the forum for more opinions) and it may drag down your grades in other subjects.

I would choose the first three and add History because that's the subject that is the closest to a Law degree and very highly thought about. You don't need the GCSE to study it at this level so I would definitely consider it.

As a side note, don't think of studying Law unless you really want to (to AS/A2 level that is) because it's an over-simplified version of part of the degree and it actually gives you no real advantage over those who haven't done it. You also don't need any more than 4 AS level subjects, any amount higher and your social life evaporates before your very eyes.

Overall, no one can stress enough that you should do what you feel comfortable with and make sure you enjoy what you do.
Obviously, to become a solicitor or barrister you need a bit more than A levels and a degree - have a look at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=587375 for a bit of background. :smile:
Reply 30
I've just been reading through these posts and i have found them helpful but I wanted to know if i choose not to pick english language and literature and maths at a levels in sixth form/college could i then go and pick them up at A level in uni? I want to become a corporate lawyer because i'm very intrested in businesses and law so it seemed like the perfect combination. I was thinking about picking

Economics
Law
History
Business

However i have heard that you can bypass law at A level and it wont effect me if i go and choose to take a degree in it at uni, so i was wondering is it best that I take english literature instead of law?
Reply 31
Essay subjects. Traditional subjects. To quote a KCL admissions tutor "we don't care what you do, as long as you're good at it - provided that it's at least 70% academic"
Reply 32
Hey People, I'm in the last year of high school atm, GCSE's in a matter of months; i was just looking to see what TSR thought of my combination of subjects which i am looking to study in college in order to become a lawyer:

History

English Language

Politics & Government

Biology

Please let me know guys, thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 33
awais590

Please let me know guys, thanks! :biggrin:

Very good. Two traditional subjects and a science. Three essay subjects as well. I wouldn't change anything, especially if you like those subjects. People on here will tell you that a language would be better - but if you actually like those, you wont be penalised.
Reply 34
Folderol
Very good. Two traditional subjects and a science. Three essay subjects as well. I wouldn't change anything, especially if you like those subjects. People on here will tell you that a language would be better - but if you actually like those, you wont be penalised.

Thanks dude ^^ but some people say english lit is much more useful than english lang? (i hate english lit). :/
Reply 35
awais590
Thanks dude ^^ but some people say english lit is much more useful than english lang? (i hate english lit). :/

I think most people would say its more "respected" but just ignore them - its still a good essay subject. The most important thing to do is to do subjects you like (you know, within reason - which yours are). I spoke to the KCL law admissions tutor and she said 'We don't care what you do, as long as it's 70% academic and as long as you're good at it' - your subjects meet that criteria.
Reply 36
Folderol
I think most people would say its more "respected" but just ignore them - its still a good essay subject. The most important thing to do is to do subjects you like (you know, within reason - which yours are). I spoke to the KCL law admissions tutor and she said 'We don't care what you do, as long as it's 70% academic and as long as you're good at it' - your subjects meet that criteria.

great, thanks for the advice! :biggrin:
Reply 37
Folderol

oh btw, i live up north, like, north west x] IF i ever apply to somewhere as far as KCL for example, would i still get accepted if the grades are good enough or do i need to be in a certain catchment area? :s-smilie:
Reply 38
awais590
oh btw, i live up north, like, north west x] IF i ever apply to somewhere as far as KCL for example, would i still get accepted if the grades are good enough or do i need to be in a certain catchment area? :s-smilie:

It's all about grades, personal statement, predictions.
Reply 39
Folderol
It's all about grades, personal statement, predictions.

GAH. I just came back from a sixth form evening earlier yesterday. It was to the sixth form i'm planning on going to.

BUT. as is said before that i wanna study: History, english lang/lit, politics & biology

the sixth form doesn't teach politics and on top of that. general studies is compulsory for the full A2. critical thinking is optional.

so now. i'm thinking of taking:

History, combined english OR english lit, sociology & economics. for the full A level.
BUT i'll have to remove one of them or take one as an AS in order to put ****** general thinking in there for the full 2 years.
i wanna pursue a career in law.

so, what do you think?

thanks! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending