The Student Room Group

Polish A Level

How is Polish A Level treated by the universities? I am Polish and I'm goin to do Polish AS this year and continue it next year to do Polish A Level. Will I get e.g. 120 points for an A in this subject ??? Will they treat it equally with the other subjects that I took for A Level ? I also did Polish GCSE...

I'm talking about the courses that do not state any specific subjects in the requirements... They just say e.g. that 300 points from 3 A Levels are needed... in my case... would Polish A Level be one of these 3 ?

Thanks a lot :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don't think it would be because you are polish. If however you are someone that has lived here all your life but picked up Polish from your parents then I think it will count but otherwise is won't especially if you have lived in Poland.
Reply 2
Do you think that they'll look at it ? (if I'm Polish or not)...?? Because I know that German people are doing German A Level here... French people are doing French... and when I asked a woman from the exam office in my school they told me that it will count exactly the same as any other language (e.g. French, Russian or German) no matter if I'm Polish or not... so I'm a bit confused now :confused:
top unis dont count a language alevel if its ure native tongue...and ure school teacher may not necessarily know that the unis dont accept it.
I think it will count in terms of UCAS points but when the admissions tutors read you profile, they'll probably give you little credit for it.
Reply 5
yeah they will credit you i.e. points wise but in terms of how much it will increase your chance of getting into a specific uni once they realise its your native tongue i.e. first language they will give you less credit as it was definately easier for you than for me to learn the basics then build on my basics so i could learn it fluently.

However, this is my personal opinion, enquire to specific universities you are interested in :smile:
Why don't you ask the universities you're interested in? They can give you a much better idea :smile:
Reply 7
Hi :smile:
Im goinig to do polish a-level in 2 weeks time but unis that Ive applied to do not count this a-level, its completely ignored just because I was born in Poland. Situation would be different if u could prove that u were born in england..but from what u said im sure that they will not look at this as any other a-level.
Reply 8
An A-Level in your mother tongue won't count for much I'm afraid. Of course you'll get the UCAS points, but a top university will probably ignore it.
Reply 9
You could do this, but it won't help Uni wise!
how do the unis know that you were born in poland?
just wondering... do you know any good books that can help you learn polish from scratch? as i really want to learn.
Reply 11
when you do your ucas application you have to put the place where you were born, unis will have access to this information and terefore they will give you an offer such as AAB in any of the subjects excluding polish, they will actually write this in the letter.
And the best way to learn polish would bo to talk to someone who is actually polish :wink: or..go to polish school once a week :smile:
Polish A Level might be even difficult for Poles itself, I looked on spec and it contains loads of 'posh' vocabulary which you don't even use unless you want to be a Polonist or something
Reply 13
It's being looked at, just because you're Polish doesn't necessarily mean it's any easier. English people do English A level and it's still being recognized. :biggrin:
Reply 14
MagneticMeteor
Polish A Level might be even difficult for Poles itself, I looked on spec and it contains loads of 'posh' vocabulary which you don't even use unless you want to be a Polonist or something

True that, I've done mine and it was mainly reading old polish novels from 30s and 40s, loads of info on polish war background and current political systems etc and obviously you're expected to wow the examiners with your rich vocab :biggrin:
Reply 15
Iam native Iranian I was told if I did persian a level unis won't count it, it's the same with polish if you are a pol, however if an english person did a polish a level it would be ranked very highly same with all a levels
Reply 16
Annaconda
how do the unis know that you were born in poland?
just wondering... do you know any good books that can help you learn polish from scratch? as i really want to learn.

Wow, this is a surprise! :biggrin:
Kurzyk
Wow, this is a surprise! :biggrin:

:yep: i'me half polish.

are you actually from poland? i dont think i've ever asked
Reply 18
Annaconda
:yep: i'me half polish.

are you actually from poland? i dont think i've ever asked

Wow, that is an even BIGGER surprise!

And yes, I am. I came to England 4,5 years ago. :wink:
Kurzyk
Wow, that is an even BIGGER surprise!

And yes, I am. I came to England 4,5 years ago. :wink:

wow!

i;ve never actually been to poland :o: wanted to go this year but...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending