The Student Room Group

For English Lit is it allowed...

... to fold over the corners of your book?

I fully appreciate that annotating your book is a direct breech of the terms of the exam, for the obvious reason that is directly says you must take in an unannotated copy of the book you are studying into the exam, but nowhere does it say you are not allowed to fold over the page corners.

What can they say anyway? You can just say that it was folded over for a previous homework assignement, that is the view which i am coming to.

What are you thoughts on this? Is there anyway i could be disqualified for this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I sincerely doubt it..
I need to know this too, I'm thinking it won't be allowed and have been told I'll be given a new book, but I hope so :frown:
Reply 3
At our school we are given a plain copy of each book.
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure - well my school does this at least - that your school will just give you a new, fresh, unannotated copy, basically because if they let you have your book with folded corners, then they would have to check your entire book for notes - and then the whole of the year's copy. In other words, their workload would snowball.
Reply 5
I thought you're supposed to be given a clean copy of the book in the exam.
Reply 6
Hmm well i know for sure that the book we are taking in is our copy which we have not been allowed to take notes in all year, it had no annotations in it.

What i want to know is what rule is it breaking by folding the corners?
Reply 7
yeah i think you will get a new copy but there is nothing stopping you from turning over the corners in the new copy just so it is easy to reference them
Reply 8
aqa supply a fresh copy...if ur with aqa :smile:
Reply 9
i am definatly AQA but we hve been told to bring our copies of the texts to the exam, as we will not be supplied with a new one.

We get a new anthology. but not a new text as in 'Of mice and Men'

Sorry if iwasnt clear before guess you may have thought i meant anthology
I'm glad someone else asked this, because I have the same question.
I have my own copy of The Catcher in the Rye and I've already folded some pages. Does that count as cheating? Because even if I unfold them, if I flick through the book, I'll be able to find them again!
Reply 11
You CAN fold corners. Or so I've been told.

My teacher said it's allowed.

I'm doign AQA spec. A. They give you a new copy of the anthology though. That anthology will be passed onto a year ten student; subsequently, I'll be leaving obscene profanities for them to enjoy. (If I have time)
VampireFreak
I'm glad someone else asked this, because I have the same question.
I have my own copy of The Catcher in the Rye and I've already folded some pages. Does that count as cheating? Because even if I unfold them, if I flick through the book, I'll be able to find them again!

I'm doing the exact same.
i was thinking along exactly the same lines

i have folded all the pages which refer to the two big main themese so i have plenty of examples to choose from at my disposal.
Do you guys do Romeo and Juliet? I am doing AQA, so I must be doing B right?
Reply 15
Well AQA supply new texts for sure, that is for your literature book and anthology.

Maybe your teachers want you to bring in your books so they can be collected in?
Or maybe they want to keep the new books AQA supplies and make you use your ones!?
Reply 16
You should get a clean copy of the book. But if not it would take such a jobs-worth of an invigilator to pull you up for a folded book corner.
Reply 17
as far as i know you are given a new book.

what text are you studying?
Gren1TI
Well AQA supply new texts for sure, that is for your literature book and anthology.

Maybe your teachers want you to bring in your books so they can be collected in?
Or maybe they want to keep the new books AQA supplies and make you use your ones!?

For my literature, I am doing R&J, LOTF, and War Poetry. 2 hour 15 mintue exam. Same as you?
(we had a dicussion with our teacher about this)
it is apparently illegal (in exam world) to fold over pages or annotate.
but apparently (at least on our board) you can write like one or two word summaries at the tops of pages such as "X dies" but surely that would be more illegal that folding over pages???
anyway... hope that helps...

Latest