The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Seer
Why?

Because the people there have social lives, have probably had some form of interaction before with the opposite sex etc....

absolute rubbish.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
'ok'
Reply 3
Seer
Why?

Because the people there have social lives, have probably had some form of interaction before with the opposite sex etc....

absolute rubbish
Reply 4
Seer
Why?

actually you will probably find it is the other way around...LSE attracts a huge number of overseas students who are notorious for being very into their subjects, as they should be considering they pay like ten times as much as a UK student does each year. add on top of that the huge rent bills for living in london and the expense of going out in london...quite a lot of the people at LSE may well have less of a social life than students at Oxbridge.
Reply 5
I don't know why people think Oxbridge have a greater proportion of unsociable people. My sister is very sociable and will be going to Oxford next week. Just because people there are very good academically doesn't mean their social skills are lacking - you can have both! Remember that to get into a top uni nowadays, you need personality, not just grades! And also Oxbridge may actually look for these qualities more than other unis because they need to somehow pick from the very best, and also place a large emphasis on the interviews.
Reply 6
true say. but lets not come up with some long winded theory about how in some way oxbridge have social lives that are really hectic and that its better that mos unis'. LSE advantage is that its in London, oxbridge is a multifaculty institution. i reckon LSE edges it tho, that dont put LSE top. what aboutUCL and Kings. outside london nottingham but on equal footing u got 2 top unis' UCL and kings, which are multifaculty offering all ranges of courses, so the social life is good, varied types of people plus the name behind it is still Uni of London.
Reply 7
I'm just using my year as a microcosm of the wider application scene.

EVERYONE applying to oxbridge in my year, or who applied in the year above is/was 1)unpopular 2)can't kick a football without looking spasticated 3)had never been to a party in their lives

by contrast, all the london university/york/warwick peeps are well balanced characters.
Seer
Why?

who really cares???

ZZZzzzz

All three are great institutions by their own right, full of bright and ambitious students, taught by fantastic academics.

Why is there a constant need to try and pinpoint which one is the greatest university, are people really that shallow?
Reply 9
Seer

EVERYONE applying to oxbridge in my year, or who applied in the year above is/was 1)unpopular 2)can't kick a football without looking spasticated 3)had never been to a party in their lives

by contrast, all the london university/york/warwick peeps are well balanced characters.

not always true some of the most popular,sporty and academic girls in my years are going to oxbridge
Reply 10
besides you shouldnt be choosing unis on the social life - it is what you make it
Reply 11
Seer

Spasticated? Maybe you'd like to explain exactly what you mean by that term?
Seer

Here's something you can quote me on, Seer you are a total fucking moron.
"Can't kick a football iwthout being spasticated". Does that sorta thing make you laugh then? Do you take a walk througha hospital and have a laugh at people with nerve and muscle diseases meaning they can't co-ordinate properly. Yeh right, absolutely fricking hilarious.

As for the 'everyone who applied' shite, what the hell does that matter. Are you going to try and base a university with thousands of students, just on your dozen or so mates.

And unpopular. O no!!!
I SOOOOOO feel the need to be accepted by a wanker that calls people 'spasticated'

Jamie
Reply 13
I didn't say they WERE spasticated, I said they looked spasticated.

e.g. their motions are so disastrously uncoordinated they appear to have no control over their muscles.

p.s. stop being pious.
Reply 14
spasticated = COLLOQUIAL TERM. sorry, I acknowledge you moral exemplars can't use slang. It is obviously, an adjective describing features synonymous with that of a spastic.
I think Lala and Foolfarian have said it all, although I feel the need to add my own contribution: Twat.

Also, I find myself wondering what kind of complex you have Seer, that you feel the need to start a thread to say that the uni that is one of the favourite second choices for unsuccessful Oxbridge applicants is in fact greater?
Reply 16
Cambridge > Oxford > LSE
Reply 17
Bigcnee
Cambridge > Oxford > LSE

you seem to have made a typo, let me correct that for you:

Oxford>Cambridge>LSE

always happy to help :smile:
Reply 18
I actually invented a little game when trying to decide which Uni was the best for the course Im applying to...

Cambridge is ranked top BUT Oxford has a better teaching rating than Cambridge BUT UEA has better destination figures than Oxford BUT Newcastle has a better nightlife than UEA BUT Newcastle is not ranked as well as Bath BUT Loughborough has better sports facilities than Bath BUT Birmingham has a better teaching rating than Loughborough BUT Manchester has a better research rating....etc.....

I like to see if I can include all the top 20 for Comp Sci but I struggle to find something that Lancaster is good for!?! :biggrin:
Reply 19
tagzt
you seem to have made a typo, let me correct that for you:

Oxford>Cambridge>LSE

always happy to help :smile:

I respect the fact that since you go there etc, you are likely to be biased, but in all honesty - Cambridge is quite a bit ahead of Oxford. This fact is illustrated by nearly all (apart from the dubious Times) rankings.

Latest