The Student Room Group
il y a = il existe

for the others, you may just want to think of different ways of saying it completely. So rather than a good 'thing', what about an excellent idea? Or a sensible initiative?
Reply 2
Mrgd291190
Salut!
My essays in French... aren't so good. I need some synonyms for (as the title suggests) "il y a", "un autre chose" and "une bonne chose" and any others that you amazing people reckon might help. :biggrin:
Thanks a lot :smile:
Mrgd291190

One brilliant one that I picked up was 'il devrait y avoir' (there should be). I used that in my speaking exam and my teacher put down about a million ticks after. Ways of starting off points in an essay could be simply 'Aussi...' or 'L'important est...' or if you're stuck for variatin you could always use the first person with 'je pense que', 'je crois que' or 'je dirais que'
Reply 3
Il y a - il existe is definitely good

For une chose, I've found that using un phenomene works quite well (where appropriate). Otherwise just try and think more specifically. For example, instead of saying "La laicité dans le systeme educatif en France es une tres bonne chose" you might say "La laicite dans le systeme educatif en France es une bonne idéologie".
Reply 4
Politique is indeed a better word, I was trying to think of something other than chose quickly. What I'm trying to say it, there's usually something more specific that can be said instead of chose if you think about it for a while within the context of what you want to say.
Reply 5
Thanks guys, these should help a great amount. Most of my class are trapped with "Il y a" and our teacher is...not of the best quality shall we say.

Most kind :smile:

What does politique literally mean then?

Latest

Trending

Trending