The Student Room Group

Who has more work to do?

Is it just me or is there any truth in what I am thinking here:

Talking to a few oxford science students, we compared the amount of work we have to do (for their single science compared to the 4 sciences of natsci here). This is my workload:

- 12 hours of lectures per week....which happens to mean i have 9am lecture 6 days a week
- Practical work once a week for a whole afternoon
- 4 hours of supervisions a week
- On average about 4 hours a week preparing for those supervisions by doing loads of questions per subject (i.e. 16 hours a week).

From what I can get of their workload:

- Quite odd lecture orders....resulting in only about 10 hours of lectures a week max
- About the same for practical work
- 1 hour of tutorial a week
- On average about 4 hours working for the tutorial....2 hours on practical writeup, and maybe another 2 hours doing other work = 8 hours

That's about 13 hours less work a week? Can some oxford science student fill me in with the true values of work...i'm just curious...because whenever I talk to my oxford friends I always feel like I have so much more work to do
:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Willa
Is it just me or is there any truth in what I am thinking here:

Talking to a few oxford science students, we compared the amount of work we have to do (for their single science compared to the 4 sciences of natsci here). This is my workload:

- 12 hours of lectures per week....which happens to mean i have 9am lecture 6 days a week
- Practical work once a week for a whole afternoon
- 4 hours of supervisions a week
- On average about 4 hours a week preparing for those supervisions by doing loads of questions per subject (i.e. 16 hours a week).

From what I can get of their workload:

- Quite odd lecture orders....resulting in only about 10 hours of lectures a week max
- About the same for practical work
- 1 hour of tutorial a week
- On average about 4 hours working for the tutorial....2 hours on practical writeup, and maybe another 2 hours doing other work = 8 hours

That's about 13 hours less work a week? Can some oxford science student fill me in with the true values of work...i'm just curious...because whenever I talk to my oxford friends I always feel like I have so much more work to do
:frown:

I don't know which people you've been talking to, but here at my college I know scientists who have 2 to 3 practicals every week, coupled with a minimum of 3 lectures a day, three tutorials a week( with professors, not postgrads), and many problem sheets in a week.
You can always comfort yourself thinking about us medics!
Reply 3
Veedy
I don't know which people you've been talking to, but here at my college I know scientists who have 2 to 3 practicals every week, coupled with a minimum of 3 lectures a day, three tutorials a week( with professors, not postgrads), and many problem sheets in a week.

This sounds like the scientists at my college too.
Reply 4
its your own fault for choosing natsci :rolleyes:

as far as first year physics goes:

- about 10 hours of lectures a week (but not on saturdays :tongue:)
- 7 hours of practicals (10am - 5pm on a thursday or friday depending on your college)
- 2 hours of tutes (one physics one maths)
- about 4-8 hours of preparing for those tutes, depending on your ability.

other sciences do more practicals. i think chemists do 2 days of practicals.
Reply 5
elpaw

- 7 hours of practicals (10am - 5pm on a thursday or friday depending on your college)

so based on that, i am doing more work....and that estimate sounds about right for what they've said i think
Reply 6
Pencil Queen
- 40 hours of working a week
- 20 hours of driving a week
- 5 hours of cooking for others a week
- 20 hours of providing personal care for others a week
- 10 hours of cleaning/washing/generally keeping the house in order a week
- 2 hours shopping for groceries a week
- between 1 and 10 hours sorting out bills/forms/general house admin a week

Leaving me approximately 25 minutes per day to myself :biggrin:

There are worse things than having to study hard for just over half of the year:biggrin:

but do you pay £1250 a year to do that? no, you get paid for doing it :rolleyes: :P
Willa
so based on that, i am doing more work....and that estimate sounds about right for what they've said i think

like i said, its your own fault for choosing natsci. if you had chose a single science, you would have half the amount of supervisions and half the work to do for them.
Reply 7
Careful guys, if Willa finds out that students at Oxford work 1hr less than him, then he may say that they don''t deserve to be at Oxbridge because they don't work as hard as him :wink:
Reply 8
Pencil Queen
Only for the 40 hours I'm at work:tongue:...the rest of it is unpaid.

3 Years ago it was costing me about £200 a month more than my wages paid to get into work every day and pay my rent...those 9 months hurt my credit card/bank account far more than my four years at uni did. :tongue: And I got a grand total of 20 days holiday that year...INCLUDING bank holidays.

Anyway just trying to make a point that having more hours a week contact time with some of the worlds leading researchers learning about subjects you enjoy for a little over half the year is a damn site better than most jobs in the real world:wink:

they're probably aware of that, but it is human nature to complain, i would do as well if i had that many hours.

as for real jobs and life, we're all gonna get into it someday, so nobody is excused from it. you could say that being at oxbridge would train us better to cope with having few hours to ourselves :tongue:
Reply 9
Pencil Queen

There are worse things than having to study hard for just over half of the year:biggrin:

Just under:wink:.
Reply 10
slinec
Careful guys, if Willa finds out that students at Oxford work 1hr less than him, then he may say that they don''t deserve to be at Oxbridge because they don't work as hard as him :wink:

well they dont deserve to be at cambridge.....hence why they chose oxford instead :tongue:
elpaw
like i said, its your own fault for choosing natsci. if you had chose a single science, you would have half the amount of supervisions and half the work to do for them.

Yeah but natsci is SO much better :wink:

Your workload will decrease a bit next year, Willa. Though from talking to a third year this evening, apparently it goes right back up again in the 3rd year :frown: Damn!
You scientists, they obviously don't work you nearly hard enough! :tongue:

My first year, on average, per week:

7 lectures (7 hours)
2 classes (2 hours)
2 tutes (2 hours)
Maths class (2 hours + 2/3 hours Maths sheet)
Tute prep (~35-40 hours, 3 essays + reading)

= 50-55 hours per week, see, that's what a proper student does.

Oh, and 35 hours with OUBC.
Reply 13
elpaw

I have a 4 hour class once a week at the moment on top of this
Reply 14
BazTheMoney
You scientists, they obviously don't work you nearly hard enough! :tongue:

My first year, on average, per week:

7 lectures (7 hours)
2 classes (2 hours)
2 tutes (2 hours)
Maths class (2 hours + 2/3 hours Maths sheet)
Tute prep (~35-40 hours, 3 essays + reading)

= 50-55 hours per week, see, that's what a proper student does.

Oh, and 35 hours with OUBC.

This looks like my timetable, except, instead of 3 essays+reading, I have one, plus logic. Probably a total of 8 hours a week for that part.

I possibly should do some more work.
Reply 15
i seem to get relatively little amounts of work. i just find so much of it to be rock solid.
RxB
This looks like my timetable, except, instead of 3 essays+reading, I have one, plus logic. Probably a total of 8 hours a week for that part.

I possibly should do some more work.

Each essay plus the reading required to do it took 12 hours, though I had to do them in parts, which wasn't ideal. It's far easier to do it all in one go, so I could do one of them on Monday, but the others had to be split up, unfortunately .
BazTheMoney
Each essay plus the reading required to do it took 12 hours, though I had to do them in parts, which wasn't ideal. It's far easier to do it all in one go, so I could do one of them on Monday, but the others had to be split up, unfortunately .

Baz, I have two questions for you:

Who, inherently, had the greastest mathematical ability, yourself or Isaac Newton?

Who, inherently, had the greatest literary ability, yourself or William Shakespeare?
I'm better at Economics than the both of them, and to me, that's all that matters.

In short, I couldn't care less.
BazTheMoney
I'm better at Economics than the both of them, and to me, that's all that matters.

In short, I couldn't care less.

In my humble opinion, mathematics and english are more challenging disciplines than economics. Or, at least, to be a genius in these fields requires a rarer and more esoteric ability.

Moreover, I would say they excel in their areas of expertise more than you do/will.

Latest

Trending

Trending