The Student Room Group

Should I drop it?

Ok, and my sig implies I do law, sociology, history and physics at AS level. In the first three I'm doing fine, but I find physics really difficult, we're doing the mechanics module which is just maths, and though I got an A at GCSE maths there's a reason I didn't pick it for AS! :redface:

Anyway we has a test on it on Tuesday, and I did revise and yet I found it hard. If we don't get 40% we get kicked out, and I'm actually worried that this may be the case for me, if I get anything above 40% I'll be chuffed. But this means working hard just to get a D or E, whereas in my other three subjects I'm working at an A standard. AAAE just doesn't look right...

Ok, my dad and step-mum both work at my sixth form, (I'll tell them all of this when they're back from their open evening) and they told me that next year you either do all 4 of your subjects into A2 or you can drop one, but you have to do a different AS. Basically I have to do 4 subjects next year. I already know what I want to do, politics. If I carry on with phyics now I'll drop it at the end of the year and do that instead.

Anyway, it's unusual to have to do 4 subjects at A2, most people do 4 AS's and 3 A2's. If I was to drop physics and do politics next year at AS level that's what I'd have done, so I wont be below average.

So do you think I should drop physics and just do 3 AS's this year? I'll be getting the colleges advice and my parents advice as well, but I want to know what you all think.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Is it just mechanics? I hated it with a passion, and although I did badly in the AS module, I did better than I expected. However, other parts of the course, particularly quantum physics, I understood, and got a (slightly) better grade on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't just drop the subject because you're finding it difficult now, unless it's badly affecting your other subjects - give it a chance, revise for the test, do you're best, and see what mark you get. Maybe look over the rest of the course and see if that looks any easier?
Reply 2
LS.
Is it just mechanics? I hated it with a passion, and although I did badly in the AS module, I did better than I expected. However, other parts of the course, particularly quantum physics, I understood, and got a (slightly) better grade on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't just drop the subject because you're finding it difficult now, unless it's badly affecting your other subjects - give it a chance, revise for the test, do you're best, and see what mark you get. Maybe look over the rest of the course and see if that looks any easier?

Well mechanics is a third of it. Another third is eletrical stuff, which I could barely even do at GCSE. So there's only one module out of 3 that I'll be good at. I would like to wait until I get my results in January but why do months or work and revision only to fail and drop it? Not sure if I really want to take that risk.
Reply 3
I think you already know what I'm gonna say, but keep physics! Mechanics is just one module, and the rest is more fun. Except capacitors, I never understood those.
Swing
Well mechanics is a third of it. Another third is eletrical stuff, which I could barely even do at GCSE. So there's only one module out of 3 that I'll be good at. I would like to wait until I get my results in January but why do months or work and revision only to fail and drop it? Not sure if I really want to take that risk.

Don't give up! I didn't understand a word of AS Biology last year for absolutely ages, i nearly gave it up. However, after going over and over things, doing some exam questions etc, it got easier. So i suggest doing that.

Also, it's a good contrast to your other subjects. Think of all the essays you'll have to do next year if you take up Politics!
I think, as you're going to drop it after AS anyway, you should probably try and stick with it, but as you say, it's not worth spending valuable time cramming and stressing over it only to end up with a bad grade. I'd probably say to wait until you've done a few more tests and speak to your teacher about how he/she thinks you're getting on and what grade you're realistically capable of. You may improve and do better than you think. However, if you're really struggling and it affects your other subjects, drop it. You only need, at the most, 3 A2s and an AS, which you can pick up next year.
Reply 6
If you're really not enjoying, there's no point carrying on with it as it might well have a bad effect on your other subjects. However, it might be worth bearing in mind that some universities do prefer you to have done 4 ASs in yr.12. As already mentioned I think its worth sticking it out for a while it may well improve!
Reply 7
Sounds like you know what you want to do. If you are going to be miserable sutdying it for the rest of the year and are going to struggle then you obv need to think hard about it.
Reply 8
I somehow got 78% in the test, don't know how I managed that, I was worried I didn't have 40%! I would have got 81% as well if only I had stated the units after doing the calculations on one question. :rolleyes:
See, you CAN do it! Well done! x
Reply 10
Swing
I somehow got 78% in the test, don't know how I managed that, I was worried I didn't have 40%! I would have got 81% as well if only I had stated the units after doing the calculations on one question. :rolleyes:

That's basically an A :smile: , I'd say you should carry it on unless you can switch to politics now.
Reply 11
SiAnY
See, you CAN do it! Well done! x

Thanks, I think I was just lucky. There were two questions that I didn't have a clue about, so I guessed and made up formulas and things, and happened to get full marks on them.
Reply 12
jumpunderaboat
That's basically an A :smile: , I'd say you should carry it on unless you can switch to politics now.

As I said, I got an A in maths GCSE, two A's in sciences as well. I'm not stupid or anything, but its a huge step up in physics, and I don't like having an exam and thinking I failed.

But I did well, so I'm a bit more confident now. I cn't begin politics now because I've missed too much, I'll still drop physics at the end of the year and do AS politics next year though.
Reply 13
:smile: Im hating physics to right now! Im also having problems with the maths and equations parts but ive done lots (And im talking crazy numbers of questions) and now its much easier...although still very boring. The other teacher i have is teaching the radioactivity part of the module and its so cool and interesting. its makes all the boring problematic stuff worth it.

I say stick with it, because if you dont get the grade that you want then you drop it and still have 4AS 3A2, the same as most of the world.

good luck whatever you choose.
Reply 14
well done mate, i'm really pleased for you :smile:
i'm just gonna repeat what others have said, and that's to stick with till the end of the year (you may even be feeling better about this idea)...then you can do what you want and forget about physics :smile:
It's not about your ability in Physics, it's your ability to be aware of how daft the mark scheme is.
Reply 16
Invisible
It's not about your ability in Physics, it's your ability to be aware of how daft the mark scheme is.

well, depends on the exam board....if it's aqa, then yes, the mark scheme is very very daft (in all subjects)...edexcel isn't so bad
Reply 17
Invisible
Yes, I do AQA anyway.

thought so- i did aqa computing last year (dropped it now)....was a real b*tch! (the marking, that is)
Reply 18
Invisible
hahaha, the marking in that is absolutely hilarious, it's totally randomly generated scores.

i know. how did you get on? i got a B (1 mark off an A) first time round, sent module 2 in for a remark and went up by 9 :rolleyes:
Dont drop it just yet.

Im now doing A2 Physics, yet the Mechanics module is still the one I found the most difficult to score highly on. The material is really easy, but the exams are tricky.

I only managed a C in the mechanics module, while I easily got an A in the Electricity, thermodynamics and astrophysics modules... so dont be put off if you dont do well this january(if you do modular exams in january)
Infact, I had to retake the mechanics module because I got a D on my first go :redface:
(I could easily get an A now, which is why im taking it AGAIN this january!)

Just give it a chance.
A hint for doing well in physics is to keep on top of the work during term time, and when the time comes to revise, make sure you dont have to learn anything new. Just spend hours, days and weeks doing past papers and practise questions. I guarantee you will get at least a B this way.

Latest

Trending

Trending