The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
peanutbutternjelly
What kind of questions are you (those of you going to Open Days/visiting) going to ask? I know closer to the application time I will have lots of questions, but none come to mind right now. The prospectus and website are pretty good in that sense :rolleyes: But yeah, what are your current worries/questions?

Well, I'm looking at doing languages so I'll ask questions about the literature content of the course as there's no literature in French or German in my school, and I'm slightly worried that if I did get in I'd be far behind other people.
I'm also interested to know about the secondary language options there (such as Czech, Catalan etc.) and how you can go about picking one up or whether you can't at all.
:smile:
Reply 81
peanutbutternjelly
Which colleg are you at?

Balliol :biggrin:
peanutbutternjelly
That's cool. I'm assuming she got in? (with the smiley face and all :smile:)
I'm leaning towards going in early September soon after school starts instead of waiting till the Open Day, and actually still working on possibly going in June after my AS exams finish because I'd prefer that.

What kind of questions are you (those of you going to Open Days/visiting) going to ask? I know closer to the application time I will have lots of questions, but none come to mind right now. The prospectus and website are pretty good in that sense :rolleyes: But yeah, what are your current worries/questions?

Yeah, she did! :smile:

Absolutely right, you don't have to go on an Open Day (though it is the easiest way to talk to the subject tutors), just come whenever you can, announce at the Porter's Lodge that you're a prospective applicant and they should be very helpful, give you lots of information and maybe even show you around! The most important thing is that you somehow make it up here before you apply. You might be dead set on going here, arrive here to have a look around and decide it's not for you. Or (as it was in my case!), you might not be too keen on coming here, arrive to have a look around and decide you really like it! :smile:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Yeah, she did! :smile:

Absolutely right, you don't have to go on an Open Day (though it is the easiest way to talk to the subject tutors), just come whenever you can, announce at the Porter's Lodge that you're a prospective applicant and they should be very helpful, give you lots of information and maybe even show you around! The most important thing is that you somehow make it up here before you apply. You might be dead set on going here, arrive here to have a look around and decide it's not for you. Or (as it was in my case!), you might not be too keen on coming here, arrive to have a look around and decide you really like it! :smile:

Cool :smile: Thanks a lot! I'm so excited. Can't wait to come have a look around.
Rubberband
Seems like everyone was right, it doesn't matter too much where you apply - got a reply from admissions and part of it said: Looking forward to the open day then, I'm not going to think any more about it until I can see the colleges in person.

Mentioned the ELAT too, seems like they may be giving a little more weight year. I'm happy about applying now, was quite a positive email :smile:!

Thanks for sharing. That's a relief (about the colleges, not about the ELAT). :smile:Need to start preparing for the ELAT over summer I guess..
What exactly did they say about it?
Reply 85
peanutbutternjelly
Thanks for sharing. That's a relief (about the colleges, not about the ELAT). :smile:Need to start preparing for the ELAT over summer I guess..
What exactly did they say about it?

Yeah, 20% is quite a lot to be moved to different colleges, so I suppose it's a good thing really not to get too attached to a particular one! The only thing that I wouldn't be keen on is one of the colleges that don't provide accommodation for the entire course. I don't think there are many though.

About the ELAT, she just said that it was an 'excellent opportunity to demonstrate academic prowess' (I hadn't mentioned it in my mail) and that the results are what they will use to shortlist applications for interview...although considering something like 80% of applicants are interviewed (aren't they?) it sounds like much more of a positive than a negative.
Rubberband
Yeah, 20% is quite a lot to be moved to different colleges, so I suppose it's a good thing really not to get too attached to a particular one! The only thing that I wouldn't be keen on is one of the colleges that don't provide accommodation for the entire course. I don't think there are many though.

About the ELAT, she just said that it was an 'excellent opportunity to demonstrate academic prowess' (I hadn't mentioned it in my mail) and that the results are what they will use to shortlist applications for interview...although considering something like 80% of applicants are interviewed (aren't they?) it sounds like much more of a positive than a negative.

Yeah, exactly, it's best not to get attached to a particular college. I think I'm falling in love with Wadham though! Better try avoid that.

Yeah, I think it's around 80% are interviewed. You're right, it does sound more of a positive thing than a negative one. Hmm..I feel a little bit happier now too.
Reply 87
Intending to apply for Maths at Oxford. I have my college choice narrowed down to Christ Church, Corpus Christi, Jesus, Magdalen, Merton, Queen's and University. Not that narrow, I know, but I really don't know how to choose between them. Possibly leaning towards Corpus Christi, but there's no real reason why.
Reply 88
anyone else going to be at the st anne's open day?
JamieM
Intending to apply for Maths at Oxford. I have my college choice narrowed down to Christ Church, Corpus Christi, Jesus, Magdalen, Merton, Queen's and University. Not that narrow, I know, but I really don't know how to choose between them. Possibly leaning towards Corpus Christi, but there's no real reason why.

Do you want a big or small college?
Do you want somewhere with lots of tourists or no tourists at all?
Do you want to be in the city centre along the high street, or somewhere a bit quieter?

There are a few things to maybe think about until you come for the open day :smile:
**MidnightMia**
No, Christ Church is the best! :p:

:hmmm: :wink: :biggrin:

(One of the most difficult to get into though! :eek:)
Which are perceived as being the most difficult to get into? I mean there's Christ Church and Merton, but which others would you say are "difficult to get into?" How tough is the competition at Wadham?

(I know the admissions system is supposedly centralized but surely it's not perfect yet) :smile:
peanutbutternjelly
English! Not too sure about which college though. Who else is applying for English? :smile:

Me! College-wise, anywhere but Christ Church.
JW
Me! College-wise, anywhere but Christ Church.

Cool. Are you doing the AEA this year by any chance? I hadn't planned to (my school are so clueless about AEAs), but it seems quite a few people are and I am starting to panic!!
Why not Christ Church? I'm definitely not applying there because I'm worried about it being really competitive.
Reply 94
I'm applying to Oxford to do Anthropology & Archaeology at Magdalen College.
There's only 8 (in reality 7 because one's only for mature students) colleges that you can choose from for that course xD

I think I'm becoming a bit too attached to Magdalen though :rolleyes: Can't wait til the open day!

Also, er, what are AEAs? Are they essential/desirable for getting in to Oxbridge?
Reply 95
imomo16

I think I'm becoming a bit too attached to Magdalen though :rolleyes: Can't wait til the open day!

Ah, me too, can't wait till the open day! :love: Deer park ftw. I do Archaeology for A-level by the way :smile:!

AEA's (Advanced Extension Awards) are just an additional exam in some subjects, that you can take (in theory at the end of A2), which require no revision and just test your knowledge of the subject in general. You either achieve a Merit or a Distinction, though 50% who enter fail to achieve either. From what I understand, Cambridge and Oxford are quite keen on them because (in their own words) they stretch your knowledge 'vertically instead of horizontally' - i.e. another A-level. But I haven't heard of them ever being part of an offer, though maybe it has happened...
Reply 96
:biggrin: I'll see you there! Btw have you got the confirmation email for your place on the open day? The email said one would be sent end of May, but I haven't got one yet.

Ah, I see, thanks. Never even heard of those before o_o
I'll ask my head of 6th form for more info and if she reckons I should think about taking any :smile:
Reply 97
My place for the morning of the open day is at Merton, since I hadn't decided on my college when I booked...by the time I did, I tried to change it, but the Magdalen morning was full :frown: I guess it's really popular. It does say on the website though that they often have cancellations, so I've been checking it everyday just incase...no luck so far though. Oh well, I'll still be able to look around there in the afternoon if not! Merton have sent me a confirmation email though yep, about two weeks ago.

Out of your subjects, I know there are AEA's in History and English Lit...personally I think it's worth taking them, after all there is nothing to lose, and it's quite a nice end to the exams!
Reply 98
Mmm... Hopefully mine will come soon Dx

Okay, awesome. I'll look into it. It would help if my head of sixth form wasn't on maternity leave though :mad: and her replacement is awful.
Reply 99
i'm going to the st anne's open day, i had no say in it, it was either st anne's oxford or sidney sussex cambridge and i chose the former because it's oxford that i want to apply to anyway. i hope i get the chance to have a look at exeter while i'm there!

Latest

Trending

Trending