The Student Room Group
I'd like to know ppls opinions also...
Reply 2
This guy from Connaught posted a really good collection of threads about intercollegiates here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=8615991&postcount=3

He also posted a bunch of photos on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/connaughthall/
Thanks, thats very useful. Rep to you!
Reply 4
cool thankz :biggrin:
Intercollegiate halls are fab! I've just lived in International hall for a year and I have to say most of my close friends and future flatmates are from here. Since it's so big, you get to meet hundreds of people and go to many more social events than most halls. The people are more varied and everything is pretty much done for you - cooking, cleaning etc. It's incredibly cheap since food's included and all the halls are in central london, so you're close to Leicester square, oxford street.
Reply 6
DartsOfPleasure
Intercollegiate halls are fab! I've just lived in International hall for a year and I have to say most of my close friends and future flatmates are from here.

I saw some photos of the halls in IH and they looked kind of depressing... Cell Block D - type green cinderblock areas... what do you think? If they are, I guess it doesn't matter that much? What do you think of the area immediately surrounding? Have you run into any problems with strict rules?
DartsOfPleasure
Intercollegiate halls are fab! I've just lived in International hall for a year and I have to say most of my close friends and future flatmates are from here. Since it's so big, you get to meet hundreds of people and go to many more social events than most halls. The people are more varied and everything is pretty much done for you - cooking, cleaning etc. It's incredibly cheap since food's included and all the halls are in central london, so you're close to Leicester square, oxford street.

is international hall far from LSE?
Ok, so the interior is a little dodgy but the rooms are ace! Storage is abundant - under the bed, sink, 3 drawers, a massive wall shelf and of course the wardrobe. I live in the west wing, which is basically a narrow corridor. The north wing is a lot roomier, but I found it easier to make friends where I am since you're constantly bumping into people when you leave your room. The canteen is huge, there's a nice conservatory and the bar is being re-done this summer. There is a squash court, tv room, dvd room as well on the ground floor. As for the surrounding area, there is a shopping centre called the brunswick which has waitrose, superdrug, new look etc. There is a 24hr tescos down the road, which is opposite to russell square tube station (picadilly line). Kings cross is a 5 mins walk as is Euston station. Also, there's a park to the left of halls

If you're nice to the wardens, they won't bug you. I've been told of once for playing my music too loud and been kicked out of someone's room twice. You can have 8 overnight guests per month, which costs 1.50. There aren't many rules here tbh!

The halls are about a 15 mins walk to the LSE campus. It's basically a straight road down.
DartsOfPleasure
Ok, so the interior is a little dodgy but the rooms are ace! Storage is abundant - under the bed, sink, 3 drawers, a massive wall shelf and of course the wardrobe. I live in the west wing, which is basically a narrow corridor. The north wing is a lot roomier, but I found it easier to make friends where I am since you're constantly bumping into people when you leave your room. The canteen is huge, there's a nice conservatory and the bar is being re-done this summer. There is a squash court, tv room, dvd room as well on the ground floor. As for the surrounding area, there is a shopping centre called the brunswick which has waitrose, superdrug, new look etc. There is a 24hr tescos down the road, which is opposite to russell square tube station (picadilly line). Kings cross is a 5 mins walk as is Euston station. Also, there's a park to the left of halls

If you're nice to the wardens, they won't bug you. I've been told of once for playing my music too loud and been kicked out of someone's room twice. You can have 8 overnight guests per month, which costs 1.50. There aren't many rules here tbh!

The halls are about a 15 mins walk to the LSE campus. It's basically a straight road down.

Oh thank youu soo much :smile:
Reply 10
Thanks! Especially about the rules - I was a little worried, but it sounds reasonable.
Hi

Out of the Halls you mention there are a great number of similarities, but also some vast differences. The main difference between the Halls comes in terms of size. International Hall for example has around 850 residents which is more than the others put together. This has advantages and disadvantages for the residents and will depend on your individual preferences. The larger halls tend to have more facilities for the residents, but lose out somewhat in the 'homely' nature you get in the small halls where everyone knows each other.

The rules at International are perfectly reasonable and are there to protect the safety and security of our residents (some of which are families with small children). They sometimes appear to be a bit draconian, and the place can seem rather intimidating with the turnstyles at the entrance etc, but it is there to ensure that we don't get people wandering in off the streets getting access to student accommodation for whatever intention they may have. The vast majority of residents do not mind keeping to simple rules such as carrying their ID card to swipe into the building and to sign in all guests etc, as it is clearly for their own protection. Many students coming to London for the first time can be naive in terms of general safety and security precautions, and so we try and protect them as far as we can inside the building, as well as providing advice etc for how to stay safe outside the building.
Hello...

How will we know when we'll be allocated the hall? will UoL contact us by email? or will our school itself (eg, lse) ?

Thank you
Hi

You would normally hear directly from the hall in the case of the majority of Colleges. It used to be that UCL and King's used to send out the offers themselves, but I don't think that is the case anymore as it is generally quicker for us to do it (as we are only dealing with hundreds of students rather than their thousands). Some Colleges may send out a holding response letting people know about where they have been allocated, but I don't know of any that do this as a matter of course.
David Stephens
Hi

You would normally hear directly from the hall in the case of the majority of Colleges. It used to be that UCL and King's used to send out the offers themselves, but I don't think that is the case anymore as it is generally quicker for us to do it (as we are only dealing with hundreds of students rather than their thousands). Some Colleges may send out a holding response letting people know about where they have been allocated, but I don't know of any that do this as a matter of course.

Thank you :smile:
Are we near to get a response? I am getting worried... I had submitted my form online for intecollegiate through the lse website but i did not receive any aknowledgement of receipt via email.. is it normal? :s-smilie:
Reply 16
Yeah, i applied in feb, filled up the IC form in early march. didnt receive any acknowledgment form and have been waiting ever since.. grr.. ure not alone dont worry haha
Oh ok :smile: thank you... been waiting so long that I thought maybe my application didn't go at all.. Lol

Latest

Trending

Trending