The Student Room Group

Store left a security tag on my dress

Scroll to see replies

I bought a pair of jeans the other week and this happened - I just took them back to the shop and they apologised profusely! hehe.
Reply 21
I had this happen once... had something important on the next day and wanted to wear whatever I'd bought (can't remember details so it can't have been that interesting).

After faffing about with magnets which were clearly not strong enough, I carefully took a drill to the tag (while held in a vice to minimise slippage). I remember it falling apart easily.
just using one magnet will not work

on most security tags there are balls surrounding the pin which has grooves in it, which is what prevents the post being removed

you need to pull all these balls away from the post, before you can lift the pin out of the tag, the balls are not all on one side of the tag, hence using a single magnet wont work

the way they remove it in shops, is by pushing it into a dip, tha magnets in this, pull all the balls away from the pin allowing it to be removed.

just ring up the store manager, explain the problem, and arrange a time to go in
Reply 23
They can't accuse you of stealing unless they have seen you pick it up and take it out, so you have nothing to worry about there. I'd phone them up, explain what happened and say that you will be coming in to have the tag removed.
I once bought a suit for sixth form from Oasis, and they left the tags on. Since the Oasis is quite far from my house (we don't have one in our town) my dad made a massive fuss lol and the Debenhams lady gave us a £5 gift voucher as a kind gesture :smile:

If you take it back, they're obviously not going to suspect you, please don't worry :smile:
If people steal stuff then they generally try to prise it out themselves lol.
I had same problem at sports direct,when a member of staff followed me out of the shop,I was absolutely furious,the store was full of customers looking,I felt so embaressed.i just couldn't help telling the manager what I thought ,the staff should be trained better,the tag was huge,all this upset coul have been avoided had they done their job properly,,I'm not forgetting this terrible incident,I hope head office can sort their employers out by giving them better traing,
does it work if i payed cash. i bought a skirt it has a ink security tag which the worker forgot to remove, i don't have the receipt either

Quick Reply

Latest