The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

The stupid people.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
I find the exam timing a bit frustrating - in the first semester, you have 3 weeks over christmas to revise, but this semester, we only have 1 week between teaching and the exam period.

The accommodation here is quite expensive, and they generally release the housing lists in the first session of exams, which is a bit stupid.

Tesco is more accessible than Morrisons, and is expensive to shop regularly at. I have a nice walk to Morrisons, and they're equidistance from my house, so it's not so bad.

The Prince William comments wear very, very thin. I think people are possibly starting to tune into the fact that he's not actually here any more now.
Reply 3
The cold, cold wind. I fear I might turn into one of those people who has a comb up their sleeve....i.e. sad and deluded! Hey, maybe the windswept look is cool in StAs!

Oh and the prices, it ain't cheap thats for sure, but the low tuition fee helps a little...

(I'm not actually at the Uni yet, so maybe I should just shut up, but thats what I've noticed/heard so far!)
Reply 4
ImperceptibleNinja

The Prince William comments wear very, very thin. I think people are possibly starting to tune into the fact that he's not actually here any more now.

Lol. I'm already sick of the golf comments and I'm not even there yet! :s-smilie:

Bad things about St Andrews....so far I'm just having bother trying to figure the best way to get there! But that's nothing really! :p:
Another bad thing is that danged ImperceptibleNinja - she just drags the whole place down D:

Kidding kidding. I agree with the golf comments and such though - but when you're here they don't really bother you.

Its a great fun place, and today i got sunburn :biggrin: !!!
happy to be sunburnt...is the weather really that awful that sunburn is something to enjoy?
Pfft, she's just saying it to taunt me... she probably knows I've been inside, studying all day :p:

[My past papers are on my computer...I can't take them outside]
Reply 8
Nooooo! I enjoy the golf comments! But then again I am one of the diamond patterned knitted jumper wearing enlightened who understands the true beauty of the game....

Oh and I agree with Chester, the whole getting there thing can be a bit of an issue, but other than that it's possibly the best place on Earth...
Reply 9
Oh God, not the golf comments! I'm not there yet and everyone ALWAYS says:

"Oooh, but it's so far away! Gosh you'll have to eat haggis and learn to play golf! You'll come back with a Scottish accent."

Repeat, ad nauseam.

Things I am aware of so far:

-It's far from home and transport is an issue...umm so how exactly will my stuff get up there?
-Expensive accommodation
-Few shops (though maybe I will spend less? So it's not all bad)
-Lack of scholarships and bursaries

But for me, the good far outweighs the bad!

Also, where do you guys get those lovely signature St Andrews badges from? :smile:
No Future
Oh God, not the golf comments! I'm not there yet and everyone ALWAYS says:

"Oooh, but it's so far away! Gosh you'll have to eat haggis and learn to play golf! You'll come back with a Scottish accent."

Repeat, ad nauseam.

Things I am aware of so far:

-It's far from home and transport is an issue...umm so how exactly will my stuff get up there?
-Expensive accommodation
-Few shops (though maybe I will spend less? So it's not all bad)
-Lack of scholarships and bursaries

But for me, the good far outweighs the bad!

Also, where do you guys get those lovely signature St Andrews badges from? :smile:

Mr Marshallm, he's usually knocking about here somewhere...
Reply 11
Indeed I am!

Transport shouldn't be too much on an issue, I live in Suffolk so I have further to go. At the start of the term I might try and convince my dad to take the 9 hour drive if I have lots of stuff... Other than that, it'll be EasyJet to Stansted for me!

On the lack of shops - I'm not worried apart from supermarkets! Tesco or Morrisons are the options I think (nothing wrong with these, I use Tesco here for half my food). Is there not an M&S?
No there isnt :frown: Would be really cool if there was.
But then again I wouldnt survive, I'd spend ALL my money and be completely broke D:

We've been promised an Aldi though! Or is it Lidl? Either way... cheap tomato sauce here i come!
dragon500uk
No there isnt :frown: Would be really cool if there was.
But then again I wouldnt survive, I'd spend ALL my money and be completely broke D:

We've been promised an Aldi though! Or is it Lidl? Either way... cheap tomato sauce here i come!

Cheap everything! I keep on forgetting it's happening, then remember, and get excited all over again =D
Reply 14
I was so surprised when I found out Aldi was the same in Belgium as it is in Britain - it's their main supermarket!

I'm going to get a Tesco Clubcoard I think... get some points from whenever I buy petrol now.
Does anyone know when the Aldi's actually going to appear? We'll be able to save so much money...to spend on the amazing chocolate that Aldi sells!

I still don't understand why there isn't a Marks & Sparks here - I reckon they'd make oodles of money if there was one.
No Future

My God, if I had a penny for every time I'd heard that...
Reply 17
Bella_trixxx
My God, if I had a penny for every time I'd heard that...

I second that.
my ex...if she goes...

STEER CLEAR.

you can tell if she's near because any nuclear detector things start to crackle and the sky turns black.
MarshallM
Indeed I am!

Transport shouldn't be too much on an issue, I live in Suffolk so I have further to go. At the start of the term I might try and convince my dad to take the 9 hour drive if I have lots of stuff... Other than that, it'll be EasyJet to Stansted for me!

On the lack of shops - I'm not worried apart from supermarkets! Tesco or Morrisons are the options I think (nothing wrong with these, I use Tesco here for half my food). Is there not an M&S?

My parents flatly refused to do the 9 hr drive, hah. Lucky you!

I meant shops as in non food shops, but yes I think it's Tesco or Morrisons. Fine by me. *Does worry a bit at the thought of no M&S* There are some nice little local shops/bakeries with yummy goods I think, though they're not cheap.

Latest

Trending

Trending