The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It will take a lot of effort, especially trying to do 6 modules but like anything if you're willing to put the work in, it will be fine :smile:
Reply 21
its possible lol im doing it but only for AS then show my college that i am worthy of doing it for A2. i got a C in gcse so they wouldn't let me. i done C1 in jan and i got a C but im resiting it and just do as muuch past papers as possible i don't know about C3 and C4 but as should be possible to self teach iv done it lol
Youd have to make sure you have a good grip on gcse maths too, stuff like algebra, rearranging equation, trig/pythagoras, volumes all come to mind
Reply 23
I suppose it's possible but it will take a lot of effort. I got an A* at gcse with absolutely no revision but I found A level very hard. I got a B for C1, a D for C2 and a C for S1, and realised I needed to put a lot more work in if I wanted to get a decent grade. I resat C1 and C2 at the end on yr13 and ended up with AABCDE (C4 was completely beyond me!) which to my delight was a B overall. What I'm trying to say is that you need to be prepaired to put a lot of time in and you would almost certainly need someone to help you when you get stuck in a rut.
Realistically, it's going to be very difficult to get a C or above in six months having achieved a C at GCSE in 2004. That's steep. Effort and quantity of work sometimes doesn't cut it; it can take time to get back into the groove of things-- whether this be manipulating numbers and algebra (rustiness takes a while to shrugg off) or simply organising yourself most effectively for homework.
I took a few years out after an A at GCSE, but it took me about 3 months to get into the flow and that's including reviewing some GCSE material (you have to start somewhere!). I self taught also but the A level took me a year--in all honesty, getting to grips with the AS stuff and managing my timetable was much more difficult than my A2 exams (those were relatively easy). It's all relative: coming from practically nowhere to do AS is harder than the jump from AS to A2.

Why can you not sit some exams in Jan and the rest in June?
Reply 25
Mr M
I don't want to be overly negative but I think it would be a hell of an achievement for you to attain a pass grade at A Level in 6 months coming from a starting position of a C at GCSE in 2004.

A Level Maths is a LOT more difficult than GCSE and students who attained A and A* at GCSE do not always cope with the transition. Remember, most A Level students have two years to build up their algebra skills and are being taught the content.

To have even the slightest chance, you ought to be able to answer most of the following questions:

a) Expand (x + 2) (3x - 1)

b) Factorise 12a² + 9ab

c) State the gradient of the straight line y = 2x - 3

d) Use the quadratic formula to solve 2x² + 4x - 1

e) Solve + 3y + 2 = 0

f) Solve the inequality 4x > 2x + 1

g) Calculate, to 2 decimal places, the longest side of a right angled triangle if the two shorter sides are 5 cm and 6 cm.

h) Calculate, to 3 significant figures, the area of a scalene triangle with two sides of lengths 3 cm and 7 cm and an included angle of 40 degrees.

i) Calculate the area and perimeter of a semicircle of radius 5 cm.

j) Rearrange the formula p = 4q + 2 to make q the subject.

k) Solve the simultaneous equations 2p + q = 5 and 3p - 2q = 20

I wish my memory was that good! :wink:

The Sherminator
Having not done maths for 4 years, I do not believe she will be able to recall that. But I see your point.

It will be hard, she knows that though, she is willing to put the effort, and then the consequences will be seen. The effort is the first step though :smile:

:smile:

jessie_pars
I think you can do it!

I am teaching myself French and Physics both iGCSEs by myself at home in just under 6 months. I also go to college and have a job, so yep anything's possible!

Thanks for the encouragement! :smile:

Kelly^2
It will take a lot of effort, especially trying to do 6 modules but like anything if you're willing to put the work in, it will be fine :smile:

Thank you.

sophie..
I'd think really hard about it.
There's a class at my school for people doing A-level maths in one year and then going on to further maths.
basically, these people all got A*s at GCSE when they were in year 9, then did GCSE Additional Maths, now have 10 hours a week of maths lessons with decent teachers. Even they couldn't manage the whole A-level in 6 months, and they're like MATHS GENIUSES. (yeah, they're annoying!)
i'm not saying there's no way you can do it, i just think you'll need more than 6 months to do it in.

They sound like fun, lol.

Thanks though, I'll try and consider some other options.

london_boi
its possible lol im doing it but only for AS then show my college that i am worthy of doing it for A2. i got a C in gcse so they wouldn't let me. i done C1 in jan and i got a C but im resiting it and just do as muuch past papers as possible i don't know about C3 and C4 but as should be possible to self teach iv done it lol

Thanks! Good luck with yours... getting a C for A level straight after getting a C for GCSE is good! You'll do even better in the resit I'm sure.

trance addict
Youd have to make sure you have a good grip on gcse maths too, stuff like algebra, rearranging equation, trig/pythagoras, volumes all come to mind

Cheers. I still have my GCSE textbook from where I was going to resit it last year, so I'd have the basics of those things to hand if necessary.

Zannado
I suppose it's possible but it will take a lot of effort. I got an A* at gcse with absolutely no revision but I found A level very hard. I got a B for C1, a D for C2 and a C for S1, and realised I needed to put a lot more work in if I wanted to get a decent grade. I resat C1 and C2 at the end on yr13 and ended up with AABCDE (C4 was completely beyond me!) which to my delight was a B overall. What I'm trying to say is that you need to be prepaired to put a lot of time in and you would almost certainly need someone to help you when you get stuck in a rut.

Thank you! :smile:

silent ninja
Realistically, it's going to be very difficult to get a C or above in six months having achieved a C at GCSE in 2004. That's steep. Effort and quantity of work sometimes doesn't cut it; it can take time to get back into the groove of things-- whether this be manipulating numbers and algebra (rustiness takes a while to shrugg off) or simply organising yourself most effectively for homework.
I took a few years out after an A at GCSE, but it took me about 3 months to get into the flow and that's including reviewing some GCSE material (you have to start somewhere!). I self taught also but the A level took me a year--in all honesty, getting to grips with the AS stuff and managing my timetable was much more difficult than my A2 exams (those were relatively easy). It's all relative: coming from practically nowhere to do AS is harder than the jump from AS to A2.

Why can you not sit some exams in Jan and the rest in June?

I'll be abroad from the end of January until August/Sept so taking the exams in summer isn't an option. Which sucks because I was originally planning to do the AS exams in Jan, then the A2 in June.

Thanks for your opinion, I've got a lot to think about it seems. :smile:
It's possible. use the coordination group publications to revise the GCSE level stuff and then use the Bostock and Chandler series to learn A - Level material.
Reply 27
i found some good videos that i used to teach me alongside the text book im not sure if im allowed to put the link on here but its mathscentre ac
Reply 28
Well....I actually am doing AS Maths now (i'm in year 13)..did C1 and C2 on thurs with Statistics on friday. I had a private tutor twice a week (no lessons at school), and i started around late october time. i think its possible, but you will have to spend ALOT of time doing maths. good luck.

Btw do statistics and not mechanics.
Just to let you know, i've been studying with oxford open learning, and there great!!!
the supplies, books information they give you is utterly thorough, i can gurantee, you won't find better resources in any other educational books, which you get from whsmiths. There books are honestly amazingly thorough with detail.

but yea good luck with that. OOL rock!!
theres my recomendation :wink:
Reply 30
You should probably remember though that maths does not respond well to a break, and is one of the few subjects that universities really discourage you from taking a gap year for. The last time I did maths was in 2004 too, my GCSE should have been in 2005 and I was predicted an A* for it, but got ill and missed my exams. So, I know what it feels like to come back to maths after a break.

Since I'd always been pretty good at maths, I picked it as an A-level choice last September (at college), didn't remember a thing from GCSE, and let me tell you - it was awful. You are at the very least going to need to revise all your material for GCSE before you start - I panicked, downgraded into the Foundation of Advanced Mathematics class (somewhere between GCSE and A-level), took my GCSE maths modules in November and March and got an A*. It all came back very fast and I don't have a problem with C1 and C2 now, but it's too late for me to take it this year and I don't think I can be bothered next year for just the AS. So just to let you know from a similar perspective, it's doable, but it will not be an easy transition and you have to be confident that you have some natural facility for it.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that you are wanting to do your A-level maths, but seriously, it will be harder than you think, especially with a C at GCSE, a few years break and by yourself. If you really are hellbent on doing it this fast (and hey, good for you) I really think you will need a tutor. It's better to start out with a solid foundation than get disheartened and give up (because if I personally had gone about it the way you are suggesting, I'm almost positive I would have!)
Reply 31
sophie..
I'd think really hard about it.
There's a class at my school for people doing A-level maths in one year and then going on to further maths.
basically, these people all got A*s at GCSE when they were in year 9, then did GCSE Additional Maths, now have 10 hours a week of maths lessons with decent teachers. Even they couldn't manage the whole A-level in 6 months, and they're like MATHS GENIUSES. (yeah, they're annoying!)
i'm not saying there's no way you can do it, i just think you'll need more than 6 months to do it in.

annoying maybe but really its good that you're friends with them- just think how difficult it wouldn't have been to get past papers for your secret modules without them.

it could be done but i wouldn't advise it unless you have someone to use who has done it because sometimes you just really need something explained and a textbook can't do that
Reply 32
from my view i think it is possible

i got an a in gcse maths and a in add maths;
but i didnt think the transition between gcse maths and alevel was that much, but thats just me.
i self taught myself most of the c modules, and the s2 modules and ive got all A's; so i think it would be possible for you
the only slightly harder one is c4 but if u got all A's i nthe other 5 mods then its not too bad

Latest