The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Question 1: You will be required to carry out a titration using starch as the indication.
Question 2: You will be required to carry out tests to identify two solutions.
Question 3: You will be required to carry out tests on an organic compound and use the information from the tests and other information to identify the compound.
Question 4: You will be required to plan a series of test to identify a number of compounds. You will not be required to carry out your plan.

Pretty sure thats what you're after - mine is this Tuesday.
Reply 2
Thanks man!!!! Do you have any idea what might come based on the hint sheet or hints from teachers? I'm seriously dead here!! Anyway best of luck!!! Hope you do well!!
Well the starch indicator means your producing Iodine, suggesting a redox titration.
The two solutions are likely to be inorganic, so stuff like ammonium iron chloride, or sulphate salts, etc etc look up what tests you need to know in syllabus.
The organic compound could be anything, but my teachers reckon that the "other info" will be spectra, as it is the only way they usually manage to fit it into the exams.
The planning exercise, could be anything tbh. Might be one where you have limited reagents to identify stuff, and the ones you identify can then be used to identify the others, etc, but I don't know really.

Thanks for the good wishes, same to you :smile:
Reply 4
Guys, why don't we make this the officical thread for A2 Chemistry practicals. Let's share tips and techniques that are useful for the practicals.
yes!

thank you infin! i knew the firstone was iodine titrated with thiosulphate,

but the 2nd part? what exactly would you test for? HELLPP im so worried i don't even know how to properly revise for this
Reply 6
gah! question 4! stoopid hint sheet -.- anyone got any REAL hints as to what it could be? anyone's chem teacher easily bribed?....
I'm fairly confident with Q1-3 but the planning i just have no idea!

Meh I'll just bring in a hench text book and do it on the fly :P
Reply 7
Got this example where it says, you are provided with unlabelled solutions of:

1.0 moldm-3 of HCL
2.0 moldm-3 of HCL
2.0 moldm-3 of NaOH

You have 50cm3 measuring cylinder, plastic cups secured in beakers and a thermometer. Use only these pieces of apparatus and these solutions, plan a series of experiments that would enable you to:
> Identify which solution is the alkali
> Distinguish between the two solutions of acid

Ans:
Mix two or more pairs
Record or measure temperature change
If no change then pairs of acids

Mix equal volumes of of each acid and alkali
Repeat with each acid
Record or measure the temperature change
Bigger change is for 2M HCL

The problem with this example is that it seems too easy but it did come up a couple of years back.

ANYONE DOING THEIR A2 EDEXCEL CHEMISTRY PRACTICAL EXAM ON WEDNESDAY
Reply 8
had mine this morning.

i know we're not meant to talk about them for 24 hours,

but as this isnt giving anything away should prob be allowed?

anyway yeah..

OMGOSH I HATE CHEMISTRY SO SO MUCH!!!!!

Question 4?!!! :O imean that was just so cruel!!!!!! ahhhhhhhh.
Reply 9
I had mine this afternoon...and the planning question was so easy I was over the moon.
what's grade boundary for an A in practical?

i now overall it's 80 UMS
but does anyone one know the raw mark (out of 50), generally?

:smile:
Reply 11
69/100. That include synoptic.
coolio

I took mine this morning as well.. n god! I hated the planning question to bits.
U hve to know ur chem very well, thats wat i felt..

The rest was alrite.. not too big a deal..
Reply 14
ha ive had like 5 pms since i posted that asking whats in it.
OK so like
I'm confused.. WHY post on here that you just DID the practical, if you're not going to say what was in it?
surely thats a waste of time?! or are you trying to tease us who still have the exam coming up and are going to fail badly if they have no hints of what is coming up?!

i don't see why you would make a plain simple post saying you just did the exam. whats the point, if ur not going to say what came up?

PLEASE please please can somebody mature enough give me an idea of how it went and what came up?
my email is [email protected] , i guarantee i will thankyou somehow in return; you wont be disappointed.
Reply 16
Haha i think i agree with supermelissa! woo! answers for all!
But ahh they're not actually allowed to say on the forums as people doing edexcel exams in places with a timezone behind your country still have those exact exams coming up.

Sarahl89... Better make that 6pms...Don't worry I'm group 2 :P it's totally legitimate!

Wow butterfly's from malaysia, now that's a handy contact to have. Hey butterfly! I used to go to the Alice Smith School. Know it?
^ well that would be cheating now wouldn't it :rolleyes:

anyways, since it's been 24 hours...i'm sure we can all discuss answers now

well here's mine anywho
1)
a)mean titre = 22.6 mol/dm^3
b) left out working
c) pale yellow to colourless

2)
C - Zinc sulphate
D - Chromium sulphate

3)
a) can't remeber what mass charge was...E - propanone (with a methyl group)
b) [ CH3CO ] +

4) Identify : AgNO3, NH3, AlCl3, KCl, KI, using only one regent:NaCl, test tubes and pipettes
- Add sample of 5 solutions in different test tubes
- Add, drop by drop NaCl to each until no further change
- The one which gives white ppt. is AgNO3
- Add AgNO3 to new sample of the remaining4
Yellow ppt: KI
Grey brown ppt. in colourless solution: NH3
2 white ppt: KCl and AlCl3
- Add NH3 to remaining 2 solutions
white ppt: AlCl3
no change:KCl

safety precautions:googles, gloves, labcoat, no naked flame...
doesn't anyone want to discuss? :rolleyes:
Reply 19
tht was ****!!!
i got like an E on tht paper....
half the ppl in my class got manganse sulphate and iron sulphate for the inorganic compnds one....
everyone got around 22 sumthing for the mean titre... i got 21.. dont ask how!!!!
and the palnnign was **** as welll...

i hate chem pracs!!!!
i hope my synoptic goes better!!! make it up for how bad i did in the pracs!

Latest