The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
would really put my mind at ease - so worried about the results!
We can't really give you answers i don't think because there is more than one way of getting a close reading answer correct usually, English marking schemes are highly detailed and cover an awful lot sorry :s-smilie: If you put up some of answers we could tell you if we think they might get marks or not but that's the best i can think of anyway
Reply 62
in my english exam i thought the close reading was ok and the essay questions were fine but my poetry essay didn't answer the question well enough i chose Q15 for box room i've been worried i won't get an A which i need!
Reply 63
In the close reading some of the questions on passage one said "Refer to" but in your own words and I was unsure if you were to quote so I quoted and then went on to explain the point asked for in my own words, could somebody tell me if this is correct. Thankyou and good luck everybody !
Reply 64
I am quite worried about English (I need an A)

Most people in my class found it quite hard and I am worried if I over simplified it.

I hope that the lower the pass mark. The percentage for an A has been about 65% over the last couple of years. Hasn't it?
katbro20
I am quite worried about English (I need an A)

Most people in my class found it quite hard and I am worried if I over simplified it.

I hope that the lower the pass mark. The percentage for an A has been about 65% over the last couple of years. Hasn't it?

Yes it's usually around that, hasn't been over 65% since the course started.

If you found it easy then it's likely you've done well, i wouldn't worry about over-simplifying anything, it's not a bad thing you didn't find it hard :p:
Reply 66
A lot of people on here are hoping for like A's and B's for English lol.

The majortiy of my school will be ecstatic with a pass because we are all sooooo bad at it :frown: Lol
Reply 67
I'd be interested to see what the Close Reading and Essay papers were like this year.

Last year, i have to say the two papers were a gift for me. I revised one Drama (A View From The Bridge) and one poem (Shakespeare's Sonnet 116) and two perfect questions came up. The Close Reading was about Library's...which isn't the most engaging subject, however i found it quite easy to find the necessary answers within the text. I ended up getting a Band 1 A, and according to my English teacher i achieved 91% - i was obviously delighted!

Would you say this years Close Reading was tougher than 2007? If anyone happens to have a copy of the paper, perhaps they could scan it in and email it to me, etc.
Reply 68
Gregpicard
I'd be interested to see what the Close Reading and Essay papers were like this year.

Last year, i have to say the two papers were a gift for me. I revised one Drama (A View From The Bridge) and one poem (Shakespeare's Sonnet 116) and two perfect questions came up. The Close Reading was about Library's...which isn't the most engaging subject, however i found it quite easy to find the necessary answers within the text. I ended up getting a Band 1 A, and according to my English teacher i achieved 91% - i was obviously delighted!

Would you say this years Close Reading was tougher than 2007? If anyone happens to have a copy of the paper, perhaps they could scan it in and email it to me, etc.

I didn't like the paper on Librarys I just didn't find it interesting. This year I thought it was okay I suppose it was just like the others and I fortunately managed to get it finished on time. However In the close reading some of the questions on passage one said "Refer to" but in your own words and I was unsure if you were to quote so I quoted and then went on to explain the point asked for in my own words, but I'm not sure wether this is right or if I will get marks taken off. I never took my paper away sorry because I just hate that when everyone is asking what you got for each one and nobody knows who is right lol sorry.
^^^ Those questions were annoying. "refer....in your own words"

I was told never ever to quote when it says in you own words so I didn't but it was a horribly worded question.
Reply 70
My teacher always told us if we were unsure to use the 'Belt and Braces Approach' :biggrin:

Ah my english teacher really was fantastic :smile:

Basically meaning, quote, but then explain in your own words. Because they can't take marks of you for something like that.
Reply 71
*C*
I didn't like the paper on Librarys I just didn't find it interesting. This year I thought it was okay I suppose it was just like the others and I fortunately managed to get it finished on time. However In the close reading some of the questions on passage one said "Refer to" but in your own words and I was unsure if you were to quote so I quoted and then went on to explain the point asked for in my own words, but I'm not sure whether this is right or if I will get marks taken off. I never took my paper away sorry because I just hate that when everyone is asking what you got for each one and nobody knows who is right lol sorry.

Yeah it was rather boring compared to previous papers. That's good you finished on time, i just managed to do so last year when the invigilator called time up. Most people failed to finish the last few questions and were panicking afterwards.

I think you were correct in Quoting and explaining in your own words, although it's been a while so i may be mistaken!

Oh no problem, i understand why. I tend to be one of the manic 'What did you get for blah blah' guys after an exam!
Reply 72
Lol I only like knowing if the answers are right like if a teacher worked them out or something:biggrin:.
Reply 73
Hoggster=)
My teacher always told us if we were unsure to use the 'Belt and Braces Approach' :biggrin:

Ah my english teacher really was fantastic :smile:

Basically meaning, quote, but then explain in your own words. Because they can't take marks of you for something like that.

Woaaah that's what my english teacher always said. That's kinda freaky!
Reply 74
you're lucky my english teacher ahem struggled to determine between a simile and a metaphor

nice enough person though!
Reply 75
My essay questions this year were HORRIBLE, they didn't fit any of the texts i done, apart from Othello, which im crap at anyway, so im aiming for maybe 15 altogether on my 2 essay :frown: .... hopefully my close reading went amazingly.

yup, aiming for a c :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending