The Student Room Group

advice on choosing university

hey..i've got offers from few universities in UK for my masters..i was wondering if any1 cud give some hints or advice to clear up my confusion regarding which one of these to take up :
1. University of Warwick - MSc Engineering Business Management
2. University of Nottingham - MSc Industrial Engineering & Operations Management
3. King's College London - MSc Engineering with Business Management

any help wud be greatly appreciated..thnx a lot
Reply 1
Uhm, this shouldn't really be in arts and humanities but in choosing a university.

Still, what exactly are you looking for? All three are good univiersities but we can't tell you which to go to? What's important to you in a university? Are you looking for a large city or would you prefer a smaller city or town etc?
Reply 2
place isnt a big problem..wat mainly matters for me is the quality of education and the reputation of the degree
Reply 3
It's just all three are excellent universities so there's little to choose between the two. Warwick may just about edge past the others.

I can give you more detailed advice on the cities and other aspects of the universities if you want but, in terms of quality of teaching and possibly reputation then they are all roughly equal. Sorry I can't help more.
Reply 4
hmm ok..whatever advice u can give pls do so..theres no harm in knowing more is there ? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Well, no, there isn't, but I suppose people might find it a bit hard to give you advice if you don't tell them what your interests are and how much research you've done on the courses already. Have you compared the course structures, looked at faculty lists, tried to find out about library facilities, etc?
Reply 6
pinar_x
hey guys! im thinking about msc in finance.well good reputation uni,night life and campus life is important for me too and less international student population(i have no problem with the nationalities just if i want to go to university with same nationality students i would go to in my country's universities)..well actually i want to go to a university in london but i dont decide yet...and my gpa is 2.44 this is a problem for go to a good reputation university :frown: but as i told before a good reputation is very important for me too...so can u help me guys...which university can be a good choice? thanks...

I have no idea whata gpa of 2.44 is so I can't tell you whether or not you're likely to get into one of the top unis with it.

In finance, in London especially, you're looking at London School of Economics, University College London and Imperial College.

They have great international reputation and good nightlife (in a major global city).

Are you looking at doing an MSc (postgrad) or BSc (undergrad)?
Reply 7
River85
Are you looking at doing an MSc (postgrad) or BSc (undergrad)?

Have another look at the second sentence of the post you quoted.:wink:
Reply 8
hobnob
Have another look at the second sentence of the post you quoted.:wink:

I know, I saw MSc but all the talk about gpa, I didn't know if this was school or uni as I'm entirely ignorant about Turkish higher education and what a good GPA is.

I was also drunk.

pinar_x
well thanks for your help... yeah i said before im thinking about MSc in finance..anyway, my gpa is 2.44 in 4.00 gpa system and it is equivalent 63.50 in 100 gpa system.. im not sure that i can explain or not cos of my english :s-smilie: anyway,i applied to reading university but they rejected me cos they said my gpa has to be 2.70 at least...so i havent chance for these 3 university i think...what about kingston and brunel?but i saw a bad article about terorist students in brunel :s-smilie: so now brunel is looking very bad for me im scared and with this article i started to think about university's reputation i dont want to waste my money and time actually...and one more question what about the bangor uni?it is in bristol i think but bangor is very small town i think but i dont like small towns cos im a out door type :s-smilie: well i've searched on the internet about all universities but ranks and comments r so diffirent and confusing :s-smilie: well im totally confusing now..i really need help cos my mother will sell her house for my msc and i dont want to choose a bad university and waste her money for nothing :frown:

Well few people on this forum will know what a good GPA is, so it's hard to come up with a realistic list of which unis many accept you.

I wouldn't worry about terrorism at Brunel. Still

Don't worry about rankings, many are aimed towards undergraduates rather than postgraduates.

Did you say Bangor is in Bristol? It's in north Wales. It is a very small city so probably isn't a good option for you. I would let my bias show and suggest Durham. It's one of the country's elite universities, even if it isn't as well known internationally as it should be. For an undergrad its business school is one of its weakest areas. It's more aimed at postgrad students, which you will be :smile:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/degrees/msc_programmes/

Again though, Durham is a small (but beautiful and historic) city. It isn't large and won't have the nightlife you want. If you are based in its campus at nearby Stockton it would be even worse.

Have you thought about Newcastle? It's business school is not one of the country's best, but it is still good. It's one of the country's larger universities and is very well known for its nightlife. One of the world's best party cities.

The only other ones I can suggest are Leeds and Manchester, possibly Sheffield. If your GPA is too low for Reading then it probably is for Leeds and Manchester. I don't know for sure though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
Reply 9
Hi, I read and UCL has been mentioned here a lot. However, do they offer an MSc Finance? I just found one in financial computing and having looked at the course structure - it's really rather computing than traditional finance...

Latest

Trending

Trending