The Student Room Group

A* Grade (Mathematics)

I am a year 12 student, sitting AS and A2 Mathematics in the coming weeks (C1-4, S1/2, M1/2). Next year (assuming no retakes) I will be sitting FP1-3, D1, S3, M3-5.

If I were to achieve maximum possible marks in all modules (hah!), how (if at all) would the A* grade be allocated? Since the syllabi for AS and A2 Mathematics (save the Decision modules) remains unchanged, would it be possible to 'retrofit' the A* grade, providing I do not certificate my UMS marks?

Also - I am assuming this will not be applicable in any sense to AS and A2 Physics, since the syllabus is changing. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Ta very much.
Reply 1
The A* grade isn't introduced until next year, for the A-levels which begin being tought next year, so you're out of luck... sorry!

Also, why're you sitting 8 units for each A-level instead of 6?
Reply 2
Because I can, really. I'll have to teach myself M5, but I find it all rather interesting. Plus it gives me the chance to get AS Additional Further Maths... though the main bonus is the flexibility with unit marks if I screw up a module.
I hope you make sufficient time to do STEP/AEA work as that's more useful than doing lots of additional units.
Reply 4
I'll probably take STEP next year - but I'm not sure about AEA, though I'm gonna do AEA Physics, seeing as I want to do Theoretical Physics rather than Maths...

It's not that I have to go to extra untimetabled lessons, but rather that some of us opt to attend only the Stats/Decision lessons, or the Mechanics lessons.
Reply 5
As a previous poster said, the A* grade doesn't come into effect until next year. But to obtain it, you must have at least 240/300 at A2 to make up the 540/600 that achieves the A*. This is to prevent people resitting AS modules loads to push their overall mark up to a higher one, despite having lower marks at A2.
scaryhair
As a previous poster said, the A* grade doesn't come into effect until next year. But to obtain it, you must have at least 240/300 at A2 to make up the 540/600 that achieves the A*. This is to prevent people resitting AS modules loads to push their overall mark up to a higher one, despite having lower marks at A2.

You need 270/300 at A2, but only 480/600 overall.
Reply 7
Ah right ok, my mistake. I'm sure my teacher said 240 lol!
Isn't 480/600 an A though?
Yep. Not sure why you don't need 90% as it seems rather imbalanced, but that's the way it is.
Reply 9
Fair enough!
Glutamic Acid
Yep. Not sure why you don't need 90% as it seems rather imbalanced, but that's the way it is.

What my teacher said is that you need an A overall in mathematics and then with more than 90% in your A2 modules (i.e c3, c4, m1) to achieve the A*.
fusionskd
What my teacher said is that you need an A overall in mathematics and then with more than 90% in your A2 modules (i.e c3, c4, m1) to achieve the A*.

Yeah, that's right. I meant it was imbalanced as you don't need 90% overall.
Glutamic Acid
Yeah, that's right. I meant it was imbalanced as you don't need 90% overall.

Yeh it is kind of stupid...someone with a B (Ums: 210) at AS could get an A* at A2 lol (Ums: 210+90+90+90=480) with an A on the DOT lol...so if that person got to 479, would he/she drop down to a B? Or an A?
fusionskd
Yeh it is kind of stupid...someone with a B (Ums: 210) at AS could get an A* at A2 lol (Ums: 210+90+90+90=480) with an A on the DOT lol...so if that person got to 479, would he/she drop down to a B? Or an A?

They'd drop down to a B, which is strange. I think they should've just done 540/600 for an A*.
Reply 14
fusionskd

But someone getting 270 at A2 is likely to be a very good mathematician whilst the guy who achieved highly in C1, C2 and applied and didnt do as well in A2 isnt likely to be amazing at mathematics that he deserves an A*

EDit: ANd yes i think the boundary should be 540 as it reqrds being good in all the mathematics not just A2
Yeah it does seem harsh that you'd instantly drop two grades for just one mark. Maybe they should just make it 90% or alternatively...

240/600 E
300/600 D (+90% at A2 means +1 Grade) = C
360/600 C (+90% at A2 means +1 Grade) = B
420/600 B (+90% at A2 means +1 Grade) = A
480/600 A (+90% at A2 means +1 Grade) = A*

So effectively getting 90% plus at A2 would add a grade to the one you've acheived by UMS alone. I know its unlikely for D--->C and C----->B but for B----->A its a real possibility...
Even though the A* doesnt exist, I'm happy knowing I would have got it :p: (Ums: 571/600)

I still think its stupid, it should have been 540/600 for an A*....

Latest