The Student Room Group

Gillian clarke - A difficult birth

I know that the whole poem is symbolising the miracle of the birth of the lamb, which constrats with the good friday agreement and jesus being born etc

But ive notced the last two lines

"Then the second lamb slips through her opened door,
the stone rolled away"

Is this trying to say a second lamb has just been born from the ewe, which is as much of a miracle as when the stone rolled away from jesus' tomb and he was resurrected? Im trying to establish whether two lambs were born or not :|
Reply 1
two lambs were def born, I think its to show the miracle of the 2 births when they previously thought the ewe could not give birth at all. This then parallels with the miracle of the Good Friday Agreement, they thought it could never happen and it finally has.
The stone rolled away I think is to again emphasize how the agreement & the births are miracles, just like the miracle of the resurrection of jesus. But obviously you can put any variations on the meaning of stuff, its open to interpretation
:smile: thanks.. these poems are really a pain in the arse
Reply 3
Basically the lambs being born and the IRA peace treaty thing were both miracles to her like the stone rolling away from Jesus's Tomb.
:smile:

Latest