The Student Room Group

that "glove fulla' vaseline" (of mice and men)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
It symbolises :

Curley wants attention and respect and be a typical 'hard man' on the outside

But on the inside he wants to be soft and loving.
The Sherminator
Sometimes authors just write things, there aren't many meanings to it. I doubt Steinbeck was sitting there thinking, "Yes, that will get them thinking about what I really meant"

:p:

Conversely, I doubt Steinbeck was a moron and just wrote any old rubbish without thinking about it. There was some meaning to it.
Reply 22
The Sherminator
Sometimes authors just write things, there aren't many meanings to it. I doubt Steinbeck was sitting there thinking, "Yes, that will get them thinking about what I really meant"

:p:

Which is why English is a pointless subject. :p:
English isnt pointless its develops your skills of analysing and thinking beyond the obvious; but i dont like english either really and author's didnt intend half the things we write in our essay's but nevermind
Reply 24
Original post by Aaron_1507
English isnt pointless its develops your skills of analysing and thinking beyond the obvious; but i dont like english either really and author's didnt intend half the things we write in our essay's but nevermind

I know what u mean.
Original post by Aaron_1507
Isnt there a deeper meaning however e.g the hands represents the dreams and the vaseline is 'keeping the dream viable' and then he goes and gets his hand crushed therefore crushing the dream, in this case the dream that george and lennie share, is this is a valid point or not?

+rep. Very insightful, I've never thought of that one before! I have another good, metaphorical point:

At the beginning of the book when they're eating beans and Lennie complains of no ketchup with his beans, this could metaphorically represent the 'all work, no play' life that Lennie and George are leading. It could be used as a metaphorical representation at the beginning of the book to pinpoint their current lifestyle.

:cool:
Original post by Vixxen
I always thought the glove fulla' vaseline and "keepin that hand soft for his wife" meant that he put vaseline in the glove so that he could hit his wife and it wouldn't hurt her so much. BUT then someone told me it meant that he was keeping his hand soft so that he could do sexual stuff with her LOL.
Which is the real reason?

It's funny; I kind of wondered about this too when reading OMaM, but I thought that it was just me being disgusting when I considered the latter possibility. Now it turns out that the majority agrees with me. Huh.
I think Curley wears the glove to show off to the other men by telling them that his glove is to keep his hand soft for his wife, the reason being they haven't got a woman to make love to or to satisfy them and as we know Curley has. Another thing would be that there is no hard proof to show that Curley hits his wife this is just assumed by the fact that she says that and I quote "he ain't a nice fella".
Reply 28
Original post by Vixxen
I always thought the glove fulla' vaseline and "keepin that hand soft for his wife" meant that he put vaseline in the glove so that he could hit his wife and it wouldn't hurt her so much. BUT then someone told me it meant that he was keeping his hand soft so that he could do sexual stuff with her LOL.

Why does the hitting need to be separate from the sexual stuff?:colondollar:
Reply 29
Original post by Vixxen

It's kind of odd that a keen amateur boxer would want to make his hands all nice and soft anyhow, if you think about it.
Nope. He uses it to masturbate.
Original post by mufc4life
Anything is a valid point in English Lit, depending on how you argue it and the evidence you provide.

Haha, exactly. This is why I was much better at English lit than English language.

Posted from TSR Mobile
so he can finger her pussy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending